Monday, June 14, 2010

JUNE Food Stamp Challenge....Day Twelve & Thirteen

This post is part of the June Food Stamp Challenge located over HERE.

As Saturday was the last day for the Sales Ads and we were out of fruit & onions(can't cook ANYTHING without onions!lol) and there were some things I wanted to stock up on, I headed to the grocery store.

1 x Cantaloupe on sale=$3.00
1 x 2lbs. Strawberries on sale=$4.99
1 x 2lbs. Onions on sale=$1.29
2 x Easy Mac on sale $.75=$1.50
8 x Hormel Chili on sale $1.00=$8.00
2 x Hanover Veggies on sale $1.67=$3.33
4 x Hanover canned Beans on sale $.80=$3.20
2 x Coffee-Mate on sale $1.50=$3.00
SubTotal.....$28.31

Coupons Used
1 x BOGO Hanover Frozen Veggies ManuQ=$1.67
1 $1/4 Hanover canned Beans ManuQ=$1.00
1 x $1/2 Coffee-Mate ManuQ=$1.00
Coupon Total....$3.67

$28.31-$3.67=$24.64 out of pocket*


*This total doesn't sound quite right to me(checking it against my receipt book) but I have to get the copy of my receipt out later from upstairs to check, as the actual receipt was sent in for a rebate.  I'll correct this later if it's wrong.

The Easy Mac was bought for a rebate that needs mailing out this month.  I've been waiting for it to go on sale somewhere to buy it cheaply.  I needed beans and chili  as I am low.  #2 son eats chili with his burritos during the summer  The Coffee-Mate was a treat for daughter.  Everything bought was on sale and 3 items I had coupons for.

Saturday was Leftover's Day so assorted leftovers were eaten as part of the meal plan.

Sunday was #1 son's last day before leaving for the summer to go work on the opposite side of the state.
I was overruled on staying home and making my Enchiladas for dinner because DH felt we needed to go out to eat.  #1 son is also never home anymore for his birthday in July so this was his Birthday Meal Out that we always do for each person in the family.

I am aware that food stamps does not cover hot food eaten out at a restaurant.  And some people on food stamps can't afford to spend actual cash money on going out to eat, no matter if it's a fancy pants, family, diner, buffet, cafe or fast food type restaurant.
So I am undecided on what I should do here with my food budget for the challenge.  Eating out generally goes under the "Entertainment" budget with us.  Should I deduct the cost of this meal out from the food stamp budgeted amount?  Or do I get a 'pass' here?  Or should I deduct the cost of the food if I have bought it and cooked it at home instead of having eaten the food out from my food stamp budget?
Any thoughts here?.....anyone?

Having cash enough to go out, to spend it on a nice meal out, is a luxury that food stamp recipients probably almost never have.  Yes, having money gives you more choices in your life.  Having been poor(meaning lacking money, not the other kinds of poor) at times in my life, I am painfully aware of that fact.

 Spending for Day Twelve & Thirteen...$24.64

Spent to Date....$140.66
June Food Budget Left....$270.06
Days of Challenge Left....17 

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. My 2¢: Count the meal out as entertainment like you normally would. I suspect that food stamp recipients, like the rest of the population, go out to eat now and then, whether they can/should afford it or not.

    FWIW, when we go out to eat, it comes from our entertainment budget also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, you take a pass. If you WERE surviving on food stamps, yes, you could not use them to eat out. But if eating out for this occasion was important to your family, you would find some other way to do it...selling something on ebay, having a garage sale, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My take is count it on entertainment and move on. I think even poor people go out to eat sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with the majority - entertainment budget. It's a different situation and a family-specific event. Hope your son enjoyed his b-day meal out!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.