Friday, December 30, 2022

How Not To Do Christmas Eve



We got back from the cruise on December 21st, back to Sissie's house.  We enjoyed a couple of low key days, Sissie did a ton of laundry for various cruisers, we had some good dinners and a few laughs.  I had planned to have Kim take me out in Sissie's car on Christmas Eve to fill in some presents I wasn't able to acquire on the cruise like I wanted to but then I pulled an "oopsie".

Sissie has a very tall bed which she had put Hubs and I into to sleep while at her house.  The first night back I begged off that bed as I was feeling sick still(I totally missed Mexico and never left the stateroom while in port thre)and sleep deprived after sleeping on the cruise ship with the 3 Snoring Caballeros. Our last night I slept not a wink so I was feeling under the weather and sleep deprived so I begged to sleep in the tiny bed in the "Sluggy Memorial Bedroom" by myself.  After 1 night of recovery in there I joined Hubs in the tall bed.

Sissie had generously purchased a small collapsing stool to help me ascend and descend her bed.  All was well until the morning of December 24th.  That's when I tried to use the stool to get out of the bed but my foot was not well placed on the stool and as I leaned forward my right foot slipped off the stool and I stumbled to the floor with my left foot/leg.  Luckily Sissie had a luggage rack near my side of the bed and my suitcase was open on on it.  As I fell I reached out and braced my arms/hands onto the open suitcase, otherwise I would have tumbled headfirst onto the floor and may have concussed my head into the wall or floor.

After regaining my balance I noticed a searing pain in my right lower leg(shin).  I looked down to see blood spurting from my shin and forming a lovely red puddle around my foot on Sissie's fairly new carpeting on her Master bedroom floor. ugh

Having a flash of brilliance I grabbed my phone off the dresser and quickly as I was able stumbled into the bathroom, leaving a trail of blood behind me on the carpet.  I figured if I bled out I'd do less damage on the bathroom's linoleum floor. 

I quickly called Hubs on my phone and it just rang and rang.  Then I called Sissie's phone and got her voicemail.  All the while I could hear everyone below me in the kitchen yakking up a storm.  As the blood continued to pour out of me I began screaming "Help!" at the top of my rather hoarse lungs.  
Damn Karaoke on the cruise made me hoarse!!

About the 4th "Help" someone heard me and Hubs ran up the stairs and saw me on the toilet and the growing pool of blood around my foot.  He rushed to the stairs and called out for Sissie's Hubs to come up to assist me.  Sissie's Hubs was a retired medical corpsman in the military so that was luckily for me.  He came up, assessed the situation, told Hubs to called down for someone to call an ambulance then got to work to staunch the bleeding.  My Hubs found a rolled up bandage wrap so they used a hand towel and wrapped it tightly into the bandage as the EMTs arrived.

**If you are queezy at the sight of blood you may want to skip the rest of this post.**

Since I was still holding my phone I had the presents of mind to snap this "money shot" as I calmly sat there as Sissie's Hubs put pressure on the wound.


If I hadn't braced myself on the open suitcase I could have hit my head and been knocked unconscious and laid up there bleeding for who knows how long, possibly passing out and then knows what would have happened. 8-((

The ambulance arrived in about 7 minutes and I was able to hobble downstairs onto the gurney and got whisked away to the ER.  There the injury was accessed, rewrapped and I was banished into the waiting room.  Once the bleeding was relatively controlled(or at least buried inside a bandage wrapping)Hubs and I waited in that waiting room for hours.

The waiting room was another ordeal.  Most of the folks waiting there seemed like flu victims except for one guy we called "ranty man".  He had been there since 1 am as he loudly told whomever was on the other end of his phone.  He proceeded to curse out the hospital staff, threaten to call his lawyer, etc. but no one threw his ass out.  He sounded like a drug seeker but how knows, I was in no condition to pay that much attention to him.  He was at the least annoying and ratcheting up the uncomfortable feeling among us waiting room folks.

After a few hours they called me back to take a look under my bandage job.  The wound was still gushing when pressure was taken off so they rewrapped it with fresh bandaging material and sent me back to the waiting room.

Finally they took me back for good.  The rewrapping wasn't tight enough so as I dragged my leg/foot across the waiting room back into the ER I left a trail of blood on the floor, soaked the wrapping more and bled into my shoe.  Lovely.

It took hours to stitch the wound up.  I think I went back around 5 pm and was released around 8 pm, with 24 lovely stitches.  Then we had to find a pharmacy on Xmas eve that was still open to fill the antibiotic prescription as well as obtain gauze and rolled bandaging to change the dressing.

Here is the wound early Xmas morning..........

The nurse said I should get a sharpie pen and make two dots for a smiley face. 8-)

I was told to keep my leg elevated which I did on Christmas but we left Sissie's house the day after Xmas and that day was spent in airports, on a plane and walking to get a shuttle bus back to our car and then a 3 hour drive home.
Here's the wound the morning after we got home with a lovely hematoma.


And here it is from the 28th.


Still trying to keep it elevated and not walk.  I am suppose to get the stiches out on the 3rd of January.  Go me!

I'll be fine but please keep Kim in your prayers as well as reader Hilogene as I saw in the comments her husband also passed away on Christmas Day.


Sluggy

22 comments:

  1. Oh, my God! Was that from hitting the stool on the way down? Thank God someone heard you yell! What a $hit$how that could have been! I hope you’re feeling a bit better. Shin injuries can take awhile to really heal. (I fractured both of mine when i was a runner.)
    I’m still sending prayers to Kim, and now Hilogene. It’s heartbreaking.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so dreadful and very stressful.I hope you make a complete recovery. I am so sorry this happened to you and of course the next day Kim’s husband dying. Just so terrible and I don’t have the appropriate words to say. Prayers. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like it hurt really bad. I am so glad you did not hit your head. I was showing Tommy and he was horrified at the condition of your leg. If you tragically die with no id, now they have a way to identify you. How many stitches? 20 or more? What cut your leg, he asked. I figure it must be the stool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! That looks supppperrr painful! I’m so glad it wasn’t any worse, but man…this is bad! I hope you are resting up and healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh - that looks horrible. So happy someone finally heard your calls for help. Please take care and heal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, that looks serious! I’m glad you made it home and it can start healing. I fell down steps and broke my foot in London ( my son lives there) and it swelled up like a football and I had to maneuver airports and an 8 hr flight. And try getting ice for it on British airways, lol. Ended up non weight bearing for a couple of months. All kidding aside, I am sorry for everything that has gone on, and that everyone can start the healing process. Joyce in FL

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sluggy, I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. What a Christmas for all of you. I think of Kim all the time, and now you too. I was expecting your story to be a twisted knee, ankle, but not this horrible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow that is an impressive wound. I don’t think the scar from my husbands open back surgery was as awesome looking! Am glad the swelling is coming down, the photo from your travel day looked bad. It is sad to know that it takes that long in ER to get something fixed. Thank you for your kind thoughts. And I keep sending Kim healing sparkles. I know we are not the first two women to lose their husbands suddenly but gees, it is sure an adjustment. I knew my mind would be haywire but my surprise is a higher heart rate, coughing and digestive issues. I realize it is all stress related and will pass but gees, what a revolting development to quote bugs bunny…hope Kim’s body is holding together better. Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Continued prayers for you during these terrible time. Cindy in the South

      Delete
  9. I am so sorry for your accident. That is an awful lot of stitches. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I missed your earlier post and was shocked to find out Kim's husband passed away so suddenly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch!! That doesn't look good. :(
    I'm so sorry. Do hope that your leg is healing ok now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ok Sluggy you need to stay home. You are very lucky. Between you and poor Kim no more fun cruises. Life is so hard sometimes isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG Sluggy, that is one ugly wound. Please take care of yourself!! Keeping you, Kim and Hilogene in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no, Sluggy! My heart goes out to you. 😢 it looks swollen and painful. I hope it heals quickly for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Sluggy...ouch! And will keep Kim in my prayers as well as Hilogene.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lord sweetie... be safer...sleep on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Rhonda from if you do stuff stuff gets done. I can’t sign into blogger and leave comments. I am glad y’all had a wonderful vacation but I am so sorry about Kim’s husband. And your leg! That looks horrible, you truly could have bled out without some assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the spoiler alert because I am squeamish but caught a glimpse as I scrolled through quickly. That looks bad and I hope you heal quickly. Thoughts and prayers for you as well as Kim and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That looks awful - so glad you went into the ER. So sorry about your friends. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hubby says it looks like a shark bite. That's the story I would go with for your grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my goodness! You poor thing. Here's hoping for a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.