Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A Homemade Cake Mix Recipe

I wanted to make something dessert-like for dinner last night(I don't usually make desserts but it was a Holiday Weekend).


I had 4 cans of peach slices I got very inexpensively at a Rite-Aid back in March down South.  Regular price was $1 per can, .80¢ per can with my Wellness store discount and they had .50¢ off stickers on them so .30¢ per can.
(I had to buy them at that price, right?)

So I decided to make a dump cake peach cobbler.

But I didn't have a cake mix(as I don't keep these around anymore)so I turned to a recipe to make your own dry cake mix.
It's just flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.....easy-peasy and items most everyone has on hand anyway.

Cake Mix Recipe

2 1/4 Cup flour
1 1/2 Cup sugar
3 1/2 Teaspoon baking powder
1 Teaspoon salt

I sprayed a baking dish and set the oven to 350F.
Mix the ingredients above, add 1 stick of butter(1/2 Cup, melted),1 Cup of milk and 1 Tablespoon of vanilla and stir it all up.
Pour batter into the baking dish.
Open 2 cans of peaches(15 oz. each), reserve liquid.  Spoons peaches into batter, spreading evenly.
Add 1 Teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/4 Teaspoon of ground nutmeg into reserved peach liquid and whisk, then pour it over the peaches.
* I also sprinkled roasted almond halves on top since I had some and it sounded yummy.
Bake for 55-60 minutes.
Cool and serve with vanilla ice cream or plain.


Not a great photo and I forgot to take one before it got dug into so not so pretty either. lolz
It tasted good though and cost under $1.50 to make including the fruit(more with the ice cream). ;-)

Costing out the ingredients to make my own boxed cake mix using normal regular shelf prices for this area came to .66¢ which is less than buying boxed cake mix, even on sale here.(Clearance prices it might be less to buy a boxed mix but really, this was quick to throw together from ingredients in my pantry so you can do this instead of waiting for a boxed cake mix to go on sale.

Now if you want to make a regular yellow cake from this dry mix recipe, just add these wet ingredients too--1 1/4 C. milk, 1/8 C. veg. oil, 1 stick of butter(melted), 1 TB vanilla and 3 eggs.  Blend the wet ingredients then add the dry cake mix ones.  Bake at 350F for 20 minutes.


Sluggy




3 comments:

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.