Monday, August 26, 2013

This Week on The Dining Table

This is the "Gotta Use Up Stuff From the Garden" Week.

 
Here's what was planned last week--
 
Sunday--BBQ Chicken, broccoli & cheese casserole, tossed salad, corn on the cob
Monday--raw  veggies, crackers, cheese and sausage(Sonya Ann had packed us some snacks and that was dinner)
Tuesday--Chinese food again!
Wednesday--Eating out
Thursday--Eating Out
Friday--something from my freezer TBA
Saturday--something from my freezer TBA
 
Everything above was eaten as was written.  The days where a specific food was not mentioned went like this....
Wednesday--Local Restaurant in AltaVista, VA
Thursday--Truck Stop Diner outside of Harrisburg, PA
Friday--Burgers, Steamed Broccoli(from garden)
Saturday--Leftover Meat Sauce over Rigatoni, Tossed Salad(w/garden cukes and toms)
  
As for food spending last week.....We didn't do ANY grocery shopping while on the trip(some alcohol procurement did happen but that's from the entertainment budget).  We left #2 Son $40 cash(plus $35 from a rebate check we finally cashed, so $40 out of my August food budget) and $10 in McDonald's bucks(the cost of which was accounted for last year).

Then we hit the grocery store on Friday after we got back from the trip and spent $34.48 on $48.11 of regular retail foods.
So my food budget spending from 8/11 to 8/23 was $74.48.
This means I am at $266.81 spent so far in August.  I have $133.19 left in the budget for the next 6 days.
 
Food waste last week.....bad.....real bad!  #2 Son didn't eat ANYTHING that was here that needed to be eaten.  Luckily I did remember to remind him to put some of it into the freezer(the garden tomatoes and the smoked pork I made).  I had to throw out melon, spareribs, a small amount of coleslaw and rice when I got home.  We tried to eat down what was in the fridge before we left but I thought #2 Son would at least eat the ribs.  *sigh*
  
Leftovers going into this week?  Some rigatoni, and lots and lots of BROCCOLI from the garden!
We also have green beans, cukes, eggplant and more tomatoes coming in, so the order of the meals below will depend on what is harvested and when.

Here's this week's meal plan---
 
Sunday--Broccoli/Chicken Quiche
Monday--Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Fresh Baked Bread
Tuesday--BLT Sandwiches(garden tomatoes)
Wednesday--Eggplant prepared some way?, Tossed Salad
Thursday--Broccoli Casserole, Caprese Salad(garden toms)
Friday--Green Bean Stirfry, Roasted Potatoes, Leftover Quiche
Saturday--Leftovers

On the shopping list......hubs picked up half & half and swiss cheese on Sunday morning already, but I still need a small hunk of Velveeta, sandwich bread(at the bakery outlet), fresh mozzarella, potatoes and more salad greens.
There is a sale on bacon this week as well which I'll end up taking advantage of. ;-)
I'm figuring about $50 food spending this week.

That's what's appearing on the kitchen table this week here at Chez Sluggy. 
  
 What's getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. Oh noes. Poor food! I will try to make that spinach lasagna tomorrow or Wednesday, and that should take me through Friday with no problem. I have to get ground meat (I don't mind chicken or veal or turkey, as long as it's on sale!), and cream cheese. Yum. Cooked some stew beef, rice and pigeon peas at parents', plus plantains and scrambled eggs. Too bad I'm diving nose in to low carbs again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have decided I cannot remain at this weight without developing high bp, diabetes, or high cholesterol, so I am turning over a new leaf and quitting eating junk or too much of the good stuff. Sooo, even though I have been eating lots of nutritious stuff, I fight hypoglycemia continually. Okay, almost continuously.

    By recording my weight and every morsel of food that enters my mouth on my weight loss blog, I feel compelled to not mindlessly put food in my mouth.

    Until I get something thawed, I will be having a can of tuna on greens. I think I will thaw the ground round given to me that has a hole in the package where my thumb went in.

    Want to lose weight with me?

    http://linda-lost-it.blogspot.com/

    Read back to Friday or Saturday.

    It is also on my blog roll: Losing It--Weight Loss with Disability.

    Don't want to lose weight with me, just see how fat I am? Whatever. I feel like this I am fighting for my life. Food is the weapon/enemy/friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY for bacon being on sale!!! We haven't had a good bacon sale in forever. Sad face and a sad sigh.
    You always do great on planning meals and sticking to it. I'm getting there. We are a work in progress.
    Ok and you know that I can barely grow anything so keep that in mind when answering this, is it hard to grow broccoli?

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.