Friday, August 13, 2010

Picking Time #3.....Just Go Away!

Ok, so I have discovered the secret to get your garden to produce.
Would you like to know what it is?
Come a little closer and I'll whisper it into your ear......





To get your garden to hand over the veggies just......

GO ON VACATION!

That's what we did.
And here is what we came home to......

  And then 2 days later I picked these....
Plus the rest of the Collard Greens look like they need picking too, but I'll hold off until #1 son comes home in 1 week so he can have a mess 'o greens to eat.  ;-)

I don't care for frozen squash so we've be eating it fresh.  I'm going to make stuffed squash(like stuffed bell peppers)out of it most probably. 
The cauliflower got blanched and frozen for winter eating....those 4 heads filled 5 quart sized bags.  I'll be planting spinach this week where the cauliflower was located.  There are still 2 heads to harvest that are a bit small yet.
The tomatoes that haven't been made into BLTs got thrown into the freezer until I have enough to can them.
We've eaten all the bread & butter pickles from the 1st gallon I made so I'll probably make another jar full with this lot of cukes, plus leaving a couple fresh for salads.

This harvest--
Tomatoes....3lb. 10.12 oz.
Squash.....2lb. 2.8 oz.
Cucumbers....3lb. 2.6 oz.
Cauliflower....4lb. 12 oz.
TOTAL....13lb. 11.52oz.

Garden Harvest Weight Total to date....29 lb. 0.92 oz.

What's new in your garden?


Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Your cauliflowers look great!

    We're winding down now. We have lots of tomatoes, still, but other than that all we have are a couple of acorn squash, a couple of eggplant and a few green peppers.

    We've decided not to plant for fall this time. We have a sun room to put up, lots of odds and ends clean up to do around the yard and hopefully a camping trip to work in yet.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.