Saturday, April 10, 2010

Spring is Early in My Yard This Year

When the weather hit 80 the other day(yes, I said 80 in Northeastern PA in early April!) I went outside to see what poor flowering plants had been lulled into blooming already.  Just so you know if you have never lived around here, early April can be snow weather time at this latitude and elevation.

So here is what I found.....


The perennial tiny flowers(don't know what they are) in the front yard are up.




The flowering tree on the side of the house is in full bloom, as is the white flowering tree on the far side of the back yard.

That is another of the same tree to the left in the photo.  That 'tree' sort of branched out and doesn't have a main trunk, but lot of branches so it's more of a bush.  I know nothing about this sort of thing but I'd love to be able to 'fix' this bush so it looks like a tree.
Anyone??


The Forsythia bush I showed you all HERE in 1 week's time has filled out to be this.....



And my prized Lemon Magnolia Tree still has no leaves showing yet this year but it has budded and is blooming like crazy!

The tree is young and only about 6 foot tall.  DH bought it for me 3 yrs. ago for a Mother's Day gift since I so miss the Magnolias from where I grew up down South.  This hybrid was hardy enough to grow up here in Yankeeland.  This type doesn't produce a white flower like a true Magnolia Tree but I still love it.


When the flowers open up they smell just like lemons.  I hope the next few nights in the 30's don't do in my blooms....


I won't show you the disasters that masquerade as gardening beds here.  Maybe next weekend we can start cleaning those out.....maybe......lol

What is going on in your yard?
Show us some photos!

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. About 20 years ago I had an extended visit to Northwestern PA in April and May (moving there didn't work out). I remember it snowed in April and I thought it was so strange.

    I like the lemon magnolia. I don't think I've seen one. We have the kind around here with pink flowers...some people call them tulip magnolias. The always get blossoms before leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the little purple flowers are called grape hyacinths--we had lots when we lived in PA but we also have lots of them here in NC. I so wish I had a magnolia tree--I miss them. I grew up in Louisiana and the trees grew taller than the houses. I have never seen a lemon magnolia but I'd take one of those too!! Thanks for visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't taken pictures yet since nothing is blooming yet BUT I do have tulips, peonies, chives and onions beginning to make appearances around our yard.

    The first picture you posted look like mini-hyacinths possibly.

    Have a great weekend slugmama :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I only have dirt in my yard at the moment, I am really enjoying yours. Thansk for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, isn't it amazing? Our forsythia are in full bloom and we have them as the border all around our yard, so it's really pretty for about one week a year - LOL! And the lilac trees are starting to bud and open just a little. That's my favorite time of year - when I can stick my head into the lilac bushes and inhale. (Who cares if I have allergies!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks so pretty and it reminds me of everything that we need to do!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.