Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Oh, You Have GOT to be Kidding Me!

I drove #2 son to his Orthodontist appointment after school today.  I am pulling into the parking lot and the skies opened up.  It's.....It's.....SNOWING!!!
April 27th and I am being pelted by little tiny snowbally things as well as big chunky white flakes!
Oh.
My.
Word.

I thought the receptionist was going to crap her pants when I came in and told her it was snowing....seriously, she freaked out a little!

And it's suppose to hit 75 here this weekend......



Remember my lemon magnolia tree that bloomed a tad early?


Here's what happened to my little tree after 3 nights of frost last week.....
*sigh*  Why oh why didn't the leaves send a memo to the blooms that it was too too early to open?

I also have a mystery going on in my garden bed behind the deck.  I planted a mix of salad green seeds last spring.....arugula, rocket, leaf lettuces, etc.   This plant was among the things that sprouted up.  At first I thought it was curly leaf parsley or something.  It took awhile to get growing but the leaf thickness and texture made it look more like something that was not a salad green, but more like a root vegetable plant or the leaves on a fall veggie plant, like a winter squash or something in the cabbage family.  So I didn't pick it and let the plant grow but by winter we still didn't see any veggie....nothing was 'heading' in the center, etc. so I just left it to die over the winter.
But it didn't die....the plant survived the winter and is now growing like a son-of-a-gun!
Can anyone ID this plant for me?  It's got thick leathery leaves with curly edges and a purpley/pink spine. 2 of these plants took root in with the salad greens last spring.

If it's good eatin' I'll let it continue to grow....if it's just a weed that's not consumable it's getting plowed under this weekend....unless it snows again on Sunday after it hits 75 on Saturday. ack!

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. It looks like a weed to me but then again I am no expert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, but I think it's red winter kale. Looks like the lower right photo. If so, it's edible.

    Yucka on the April snow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annie J--I think you have it pegged....thanks!
    I'll be thinning it for a salad later this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely looks like a kale to me. Get to picking and cooking that stuff up!

    If you are concerned about it, feed it to your least favorite family member first to see if they get sick. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. LisaPie--LOLOL
    Hmmmm, but who do I choose? So many choices....who's on my bad side this week?lolol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum if it is kale--I love it!! So sorry about your lemon magnolia tree. That usually happens to our flowering trees but it didn't this year. I couldn't believe it when my husband told me it was snowing up north--I feel for y'all.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.