Friday, April 17, 2015

2 Refrigerator Pickle Recipes

I am sharing 2 pickles recipes with y'all today.
First my mother's fridge pickles recipe.  These are a quick and easy, "eat them right away because they won't keep" recipe.  More a cuke with some flavor than a true pickle.  A great summer side dish to use up some of those too many cukes in your garden.

Carole's Almost New Pickles

3/4  cup sugar
1/2  cup water
1 cup vinegar(white)
1/2 tablespoon dill weed
1-2 cucumbers, sliced

Slice cukes.
Combine 4 other ingredients in pot.
Boil until dissolved.
When cooled, pour over cukes and refrigerate.
Ready to eat in 4-6 hours.
Reuse liquid to make more pickles.

***********************



These are a bread and butter type of pickle.... not dill and not overly sweet.

Sluggy's Refrigerator Pickles

2-4 cucumbers(depending on size), sliced
1-2 medium onions, sliced(red or white)
2 cups sugar
2 cups vinegar(white)
2 tablespoons salt *
3/4 teaspoon turmeric
3/4 teaspoon celery seed
3/4 teaspoon mustard seed

Combine sugar vinegar and salt in a pot and heat until sugar is dissolved.  Add spices.
Put onion and cuke slices in a large glass jar or pickle crock. (I use two glass jars that 3lbs. of honey came in.)
Once liquid is cooled, pour over veggies in jars.  Put the lid on and refrigerate.  It helps to go shake the jar every so often as the turmeric will settle in the bottom and your pickles on top won't be as pretty yellow as the ones on the bottom.
Ready to eat in 6 hours but better the next day and onward.

If you find the flavor too strong you can water down the "juice" too, but try it first before doing that.

You can skin the cukes or not, your preference.  Be sure and wait until the juice cools to pour over the cukes, otherwise you will end up with soggy pickles.

*If sodium is a concern for you, you can reduce or omit the salt.  A little salt pumps up the sweetness though.

Sluggy

 

4 comments:

  1. I am seriously going to try those bread and butter pickles. LOVE them. Hey, are your familiar with the pickled carrots - German style? I would love a recipe for those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day long ago I had too many cucumbers from a friend.
    since I hate cucumbers and pickles, I just put the cucumbers in a recipe of my own. Wrong or right, everyone loves them.

    I am going to try one of your recipes. When I first made my recipe 45 years ago, I had no idea what I was doing. Yours sound so much better even though I will never taste one...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! pickles! I have a recipe for cold mustard pickles that I got from an elderly neighbor in Wyoming County in PA. There's horseradish in the mix so they bite ya back! The longer they sit, the more powerful they become.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should try the bread and butter pickles. I did picked onions last year,

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.