Saturday, November 1, 2014

Food & Toiletries Spending......October Update

 Onward to October's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for OCTOBER 2014.

I have posted October's totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2014 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in October.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Summary.

My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Pet Supplies, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3(2 at home this month)& 1 dog. No kids under 18.

******************


FOOD LION
OOP  $12.92
Qs/Ads  $2.46
Value  $15.38
Savings  16%

SAM'S CLUB
OOP  $65.06
Value  $88.00
Savings  26.06%

SAV-A-LOT
OOP  $7.77
Value  $9.35
Savings   16.90%

SHOPRITE
OOP  $47.65
Qs/Ads  $89.09
Value  $136.74
Savings  65.15%

TARGET
OOP  $5.81
Qs/Ads  $16.27
Value  $22.28
Savings  73.92%

RITE-AID
OOP  $10.29
Qs/Ads/+UPs  $464.51
Value  $474.80
Savings   97.83%
 
SHURSAVE STORES(small local independent affiliated stores)
OOP  $87.77
Qs/Ads  $39.03
Value  $126.80
Savings  30.78%

WALMART
OOP  $13.79
Qs/Ads  $11.30
Value  $25.09
Savings  45.04%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $118.23
Qs/Ads  $64.51
Value  $182.74
Savings  35.30%
 

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 97.83%, Target  at 73.92% and Shoprite at 65.15%.  My WORST savings rate was Food Lion at 16%.
I shopped at 9 different stores this past month.


TOTAL Out of Pocket........$369.29
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$711.89
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$1,081.18
TOTAL Savings of...................................65.84%
TOTAL Savings WITHOUT Rite-Aid.............40.80%

This closes out the October food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....

I thought I came close to the $300 budget but I miscalculated spending earlier in the month by $50.
meh.

The monthly savings percentage went down by 7.66% in October to 65.84% compared to September's 73.50% average.

The savings percentage went up for the year by 1.61% because of the great savings month that was October.  After September my yearly % of savings was 52.79% and after adding October in it stands at 54.40% for the year.
8-)

Even if I remove my Rite-Aid shopping out my October totals that monthly total is $359.00 spent with a 40.80% savings rate. 
Not bad.

Total spend on food/toiletries so far this year after 10 months.....$4,004.15.

The average monthly food/toiletries spending to-date for the year so far is $400.42.  Only pennies away from being back down to $400 a month or less.


LOOKING AHEAD TO NOVEMBER......

I am going to try again for a $350 food spending budget this month.  It's just Hubs and I here this month except for Thanksgiving break when #2 Son comes home for a few days.  There is the whole overblown Turkey day meal but we will try to keep it low key this year.  A turkey and about 4 sides and pie.
No gluttonous feast this year.

And I can't seem to do a $300 food month so I'll wave the white flag and concede to $350 a month this November.

 
If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.
 
*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in October?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  If so, how are you doing thus far in 2014?
 
Sluggy

9 comments:

  1. I can't seem to do a $300 grocery month too, but I am going to keep trying. Stubborn, I know. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, to win in this world it does take a large dose of stubbornness.
      Keep the faith sister!

      Delete

  2. * How much did you spend on food/toiletries in October? 300 dollars total.
    * Do you track your yearly food spending? Nope.
    * If so, how are you doing thus far in 2014? Sort of OK.

    I try and stick with 300 a month, but prices are rising and it's getting tougher to feed a family healthy nutritious meals with a limited budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Debbie!! Spending $300 to feed a whole family takes time and work.

      Delete
  3. What is Rite-Aid? Was hoping to work it out for myself so would not have to look like an idiot and ask but been reading your blog for awhile now and it must be a coupon of some sort?
    Here in Australia we have no coupons, well not like I read on American blog's and am so envious.
    Your savings are so good on your monthly shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome livecheaperdaybyday!
      Rite-Aid is a drug store chain here in the US. Their corporate office is based in Harrisburg, PA so we have quite a few of them around PA goes without saying.
      I seem to be quite good at playing the drugstore game at R-A.....buying on sale deals, use coupons and +Up Rewards(like money at R-As)to get new +Up Rewards and spending very little OOP or out of pocket.
      There are ways to bring costs down on food & toiletries outside of coupons so don't despair. Just use those principles.

      Delete
  4. Sluggy,
    Can I hire you to come shopping with me and show me what I'm doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You want advice?..... just email me privately what you buy in a month and where. 8-)

      Delete
  5. I was tracking our spending religiously until life got in the way. LOL! I need to go back and update my tracking sheet. I know we can't be spending much more than we should be.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.