Monday, September 1, 2014

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Sometimes You Gotta Splurge But You Can Do It Frugally" Edition........
 
 
 

This is my decadent lunch from last Saturday.....a Lobster Roll.

I had Hubs pick up 4 lobsters at Price Chopper on Friday on his way home.
The grocery store had lobster for $6.99 lb.  We spent $33.90 on 4 lobsters.
I ate 1 of mine with a cob of corn on Friday but Hubs ate both of his sea bugs and corn.

I picked out the leftover body shells and legs plus my other lobster's meat and Saturday I made a lobster roll for lunch.

Cost of a lobster dinner at Red Lobster?
$24.99 or higher.
$100(lobster out)vs. $33.90(lobster at home)and it tasted just as good.
Actually it tasted better since I've had lobster at RL and they usually overcook it there.


 What was planned last week--
 

1.  Teriyaki Salmon, leftover Mac and Cheese, Spinach
2.  Pork Tenderloin Sammies, Honey Carrots
3.  ?  Might get some Lobsters or have Hamburgers on the grill Labor Day weekend
4.  Leftover Roast Chicken, maybe I'll make a soup with it, or?
5.  Leftover Tuna Noodle Casserole
6.  Leftover Beef Pie
7.  Leftover Pot Roast Sammies

 
And this is what actually happened--
 
1.  Teriyaki Salmon, leftover Mac and Cheese, Spinach
2.  Pork Tenderloin Sammies, Honey Carrots
3.  Lobsters to celebrate the long weekend, Corn on the Cob
4.  Dinner out for our 32nd Anniversary
5.  Leftover Tuna Noodle Casserole
6.  Leftover Beef Pie
7.  Pizza-nobody felt like cooking or leftovers
 
Everything but 2 leftovers happened.
  
Last week I made ZERO trips to the grocery stores.

It wasn't that hard to avoid the grocery store otherwise, because there wasn't much that was a good deal that we use and we had a TON of leftovers to use up.

Hubs did splurge on Friday, picking up 4 lobsters from the grocery store which I cooked.  $33 for 2 double lobster dinners ain't bad, though it did throw my food spending for August over $400.

Going into this week, in leftovers we have.........a hunk of Pot Roast, and some of the Roast Chicken and veggies.

Here is the plan for this week.........

1.  Zucchini Casserole
2.  Hamburgers(from freezer)and Tomato and Feta Salad
3.  Cream of Potato Soup w/Chicken and Carrots(made from leftover roast chicken/veg)
4.  Leftover Pot Roast Sammies w/Carrots
5.  Brats on rolls, leftover zuke casserole
6.  Spinach Salad(will make pasta and sauce also for Hubs, not for me)
7.  Take-out

2 nights eating "light" this week.  We had pizza Saturday and I am feeling bloated from all the salt in that still.

I already made the soup meal Sunday and I still have half a chicken breast left.  That is going into the freezer today for eating in the coming month.  Maybe I'll use it to make Chicken Fajitas in a week or two.

Food Waste--nothing went bad this week.

We need fresh produce this week--zuke, tomatoes, spinach, lettuce and maybe a watermelon.  I haven't even looked at the sales ads for this week yet so I don't know what I'll be spending.
   
What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?
Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten that week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?
How much did you spend on food in August?
 

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I agree, I am not big on lobster or crab but we love shrimp. I can buy loads of it for the price of any dinner out. Frugality has caused us to become better cooks too! I used some coupons this week which is odd since I have almost given up on couponing (kind of sucks in Canada) but suddenly here I am, organizing my coupon binder and making lists based on what I need and have a coupon for. Perhaps it is because I am about to quit my part-time job and some belt tightening needs to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lobster, but only get it from Costco once in awhile.
    This week on the menus:
    Manicotti with salad
    Lamb chops with a mint sauce( new recipe)
    Home made pizza
    Chicken pot pie
    Left over something
    Teriayki chicken in the crock pot with rice
    Pasta something , maybe with grilled vegies

    Our menus change sometimes during the week depending how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still working from the ads last Tuesday, so no new ads yet. I am going to thaw a 5 lb. roll of ground beef. I will save some to make hamburgers. I am going to "doctor" a jar of spaghetti sauce and add ground beef. then, I may make stuffed peppers for the freezer or a meat loaf. Yes, remember I am allergic to beef. But, I have about five of the rolls of hamburger meat. Except for the burger, none of this is "straight" beef. And at least half of this will go home with exbf.

    I will cook five pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast bought on sale, making it cheaper than split breasts.

    I have salads and tomatoes and frozen vegetable to eat with all this.

    Pict Sweet frozen vegetables are on sale this week--$99/bag. Before I buy the frozen vegetables, the meat will have vacated the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made this recipe twice so far, and my dad keeps asking me to make it. It's expensive to make (at least more expensive than 99c/lb chicken or 2.19/lb pork), but it's very worth it, and a very nice fancy change. I would love to do something with fish next, but that too is so expensive! He wont eat cod or salmon or tilapia... he wants the expensive stuff (which is super cheap back home). http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/hanger_steak_with_shallots/

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.