Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Matilda


I didn't discover the writer Roald Dahl until I had kids.
Though I was 32+ years old at the time I loved his stories!
And still do.

I also love  Tim Minchin.
When Dahl's book Matilda was made into a musical and Tim composed the lyrics and music I knew it would be a fantastic show.

I have yet to see the show live but hope to see it some day.

One of the great, funny villians of musical theatre was written into this show.
Miss Trunchbull, the Headmistress of the school Matilda is sent to.

Unfortunately for me, this woman's part is usual played by a man in drag......well, if you can call Miss Trunchbull a woman.  ;-)
British actor Bertie Carvel won an Olivier Award(the UK equivalent of the US Tony Award)for originating the role back in 2011.

But anyway......
Miss Trunchbull has a showstopper of a number called "The Smell of Rebellion".

Broadway actor, Dean Vince, preforms it on YouTube.....




And here is a low quality video of the whole musical Matilda HERE.  If you want to see the actual production number with Mr. Carvel go to 1:15.

I think, if I was born 20 years later than I was, I would have been FAB-ulous in this number.

But then again, I always thought I'd make a great Miss Hannigan aka Dorothy Loudon too.....




Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I'm ashamed to admit that I never read any of Roald Dahl's children's books, although all my children have read them all and treasure them. I truly loved his quirky adult stories though - my favorite of all (still) is "Lamb to the Slaughter." http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lamb.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVED the movie Matilda! And Miss Trunchbull was a woman in that... An ugly woman, but female, none the less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Trunchbull is always played by a woman in film but not on the stage.

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.