Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Food & Toiletry Spending.....August Update


 Onward to August's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for AUGUST 2014.

I have posted August's totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2014 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in August.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Summary.

My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Pet Supplies, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3(2-3 at home this month)& 1 dog. No kids under 18.

******************

BAKERY OUTLET
OOP  $13.50
Value  $40.41
Savings  66.60%

BIG LOTS
OOP  $22.14
Value  $27.62
Savings  19.84%

PRICE CHOPPER
OOP  $75.24
Qs/Ads  $34.92
Value  $110.16
Savings  31.70%

RITE-AID
OOP  $34.57
Qs/Ads/+UPs  $466.76
Value  $501.33
Savings   93.10%
 
SHURSAVE STORES(small local independent affiliated stores)
OOP  $70.05
Qs/Ads  $52.66
Value  $122/71
Savings  43%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $210.70
Qs/Ads  $168.80
Value  $379.50
Savings  44.50%
 

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 93.10%,  the Bakery Outlet at 66.60% and Weis at 44.50%.  My WORST savings rate was Big Lots at  19.84%.
I shopped at 6 different stores this past month.


TOTAL Out of Pocket........$426.20
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$755.53
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$1,181.73
TOTAL Savings of...................................64%

This closes out the August food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....

I came close to a $400 food month, going over by $26.20.
No where near the $300 I wanted to keep it under.

The monthly savings percentage went up by an astounding 23.24% in August compared to July's average.   I am surprised but happy about that.  8-)))

In addition the savings percentage went up for the year by 3.27% because of the stellar savings month that was August.  After July my yearly % of savings was 45.85% and after adding August in it stands at 49.12% for the year.
WOW!
But I am not expecting it to stay that high.....though 2013's yearly rate was 46.77% so who knows where it will end up in 2014.  8-)

Most months I have a store or two where I shop with a high savings % rate but it's usually a store where I spent very little anyway so it doesn't impact my overall % total for the month or the year.
But this month about half of my actual food spending was at Weis($210.70)and I still achieved a savings rate of 44.50% there. 

Even if I take my Rite-Aid shopping out my August totals that monthly total is $391.63 spent with a 42.44% savings rate. 
Awesome.

LOOKING AHEAD TO SEPTEMBER......

I am excited to see in September where our food spending ends up,  This is the first FULL month without feeding any children here......just Hubs and myself.
And the dog.
I am going to try for a $250 food budget in September.
I plan and the food gods laugh.  8-)

 
If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

Total spend on food/toiletries so far this year after 8 months.....$3,328.19.
The average monthly food/toiletries spending to-date for the year so far is $416.03.  This is $1.46 a month increase from last month's total for the year so far.  Seems I spent more on average last month but I got better deals.

Hoping that September is the month we get it back under a $400 per month average.

 
*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in August?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  If so, how are you doing thus far in 2014?
 
Sluggy

10 comments:

  1. "I plan and the food gods laugh. 8-)"- Amen! I would say that I'll try too but I have the feeling that they will laugh at me too. Does this include the alcohol? What is the budget for that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't tend to buy alcohol weekly. I wait until I go on a trip and stock up! That way I can put it on the travel or entertainment budget.....and as you know, sluggy drinking is highly entertaining! bwwaaaahhhh

      Delete
  2. You will be surprised at how low your groceries will get especially if you have a stock pile of staples bought on sale. Kids eat a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do eat a lot! Hence the phrase "eating you out of house and home".....hehehe

      How much do you spend Kim when it's just the DH and you at home?

      Delete
  3. Amazing job at Rite Aid. I've never been in one of those stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow I think my $320 a month for just me is extravagant now! I think so too at times but then I end up spending it - it includes household supplies too and I buy greek yogurt and lots of produce but still could probably start tweaking it some. working shift makes planning meals kinda hard- I get callout sometimes unexpected and am tired a lot and just dont' feel up to a lot of cooking but trying to shift away from the frozen meals and canned soups and stuff.
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just try one thing to get your spending down, don't try to make changes with everything you buy/eat. How about making your own yogurt? It's super easy and will pay for itself quickly if you eat a lot of it. Greek yogurt is just reg. plain yogurt that is strained to make it thicker.

      Delete
    2. I"ve thought about making my own yogurt but not sure how to do it with fat free milk - read a few places online that said they didn't use fat free. I was also going to see if I actually buy enough to justify the hassle. I've sorta cut back on the produce I buy - found I was eating too much fruit to keep it from going bad so I try to stick with whatever is on sale (luckily with summer a lot of fruit was on sale some months the pickings are pretty slim though!) I did enjoy having already cooked chicken breast this week- it's made 2 workdays a lot easier to handle along with eggs and cartoned egg whites. i"m going to make more of an effort to cook from scratch so I can at least cut back on the dining out budget - not too happy having so much $ go to food each month!
      Susanna

      Delete
  5. I can't get Someone to do a budget for love or money, alas.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.