Monday, October 17, 2022

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Monday Post is Back" Edition.....

Me on the beach in Florida trying not to get sunburned. I think I lasted 10 whole minutes. lolz

Well it is and it isn't.  Still living at my Daughter and Son in-law's house and not in control of meals.  It is killing every frugal bone in my body that my daughter orders these meal kits(for convenience as she gets home late)which are overpriced.  I offered to shop and cook but she insists on doing it this way so we eat whatever is in the kit on the days dinner is provided and the other 3 nights a week we either eat leftovers, make something ourselves(ie-tv dinners)or go out or don't eat dinner.  This is what it is and by next month we'll be on our own in our own place.

Onward to the meal planning!

And here's what actually happened........
1. Sunday--Shrimp Mushrooms and Pasta, Salad, Garlic Bread(Kay bought, Kim cooked)
2. Monday--Leftover above
3. Tuesday--Steak, leftover Salad, Garlic Bread(Sluggy bought the steaks, Anne cooked)
4. Wednesday--Arby's roast beef sandwich
5. Thursday--leftovers I think?
6.  Friday--Chicken and noodle dish(too peppery so only ate the chicken out of it)
7. Saturday--a peanut stew of chicken, sweet potatoes and kale(This was tasty.)

I was in Florida and Alabama until Thursday when I spent the day on a Greyhound bus and back in Louisiana the end of the week.  No actual cooking on my part all week. ;-)

What got put into the freezer last week....
*  3 tv dinners
* 1 pt. of ice cream

What got taken out of the freezer and used...
* Nothing
                                                   
I spent $92.16 on food/toiletries/HBA this last 2 weeks at Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Walmart.  I spent $$ at Walmart and Publix while in Florida but that's vacation spending. ;-)
This brings our food/toiletries/paper goods Total to $92.16 for October so far.  Hubs spent something while I was gone but I don't have his receipt so don't know what he spent while I was away. 

There are 14 shopping days left in October.

I've earned $14.49 on Ibotta in October.
I've earned $9.00 on Checkout51 in October.
I've earned $0 on Coupons dotcom in October.
I've earned 456 points from shopping on Fetch in October.
I earned 0 points from food shopping on Shop Kick in October.
I've earned $0 from food shopping on Swag Bucks in October.

That's $14.49 in rebates(not counting the Shop Kick/Swag Bucks/Fetch)on $92.16 in grocery spending so in reality it's $77.67 spent after the 3 rebate apps I count.

My savings percentage for the last week was 24.63% and the monthly savings total for October comes in at 24.63% so far.  

Leftovers going into this week....don't know, don't care. 

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Turkey meatballs in gravy, mashed potatoes, peas, cranberry
2. Monday--?
3. Tuesday--?
4. Wednesday--?
5. Thursday--?
6.  Friday--?
7. Saturday--?

What do I need to buy to fix everything on this menu?  Not my menu and I don't shop for it.  I've got some tv dinners for the nights we don't have the daughter's box o' meals.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any deals on food at your stores this week?  I have only been in Walmart, Dollar Tree and Dollar General here.  Everything else is far away. 8-(

Sluggy 

15 comments:

  1. I have tried several of those food plans...every plate, home chef and drawing a blank, weird produce. Not worth the money for sure and some unusual ingredients. I would rather cook from scratch. However, saying that i love instacart from aldi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately the nearest Aldi is 3 hours away near Forth Worth. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. I intend to never lie in the sun again, so I envy your experience. Did your daughter not inherit even one of your frugal bones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daughter marches to her own drummer and combined they make a good income so meal boxes are something they decided to spend on. Plus she hates shopping anyway so she benefits two ways.

      Delete
  4. I guess those kits serve a purpose for some. It'll make having your own kitchen even more a joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no, having my own kitchen again will be nice but having to cook every day? not so much. I have gotten spoiled. lol

      Delete
  5. When I was working, I used to spend a ton of money eating out because I never had the time or the stamina to cook. Sometimes, one needs to compromise. Now that, I am home, eating out is a treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well what daughter has picked for meals in these boxes have been outside of MY box as it were. Last night we had Shakshuka which was a first for me. 8-)

      Delete
  6. My frugal soul aches for you. I've looked at the boxed meal plans and we can do as well, if not better, cooking from scratch ourselves for a lot less money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well at least I'm not paying for those meal boxes! I offered to kick half for them but she said no. 8-))

      Delete
  7. I am on the fence about the meal boxes. 2 out of 3 of my sons get them a couple of days a week for their late night at work. They both save the recipe cards that come with them (if they really liked the meals) and duplicate them with store bought ingredients.
    I see their value in convenience but not the price.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made a bunch of coconut curry noodles but it’s kind of bland. Thus most is still in the refrigerator. It was better when I added some leftover cabbage and onions but not great.

    Papa Murphy’s has a 30% off discount this month so I’m tempted to stop there. Daryl the dog had surgery and refuses to wear the cone of shame so I’m stuck watching his every move.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not the most flattering pic sluggy. Maybe something better?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate living in someone else's house and not having any real control. I can't wait to get into my own place, and cook the way I like to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I burn also at the beach so I have to go out very early or very late. I am a pitiful and non imaginative cook so probably a meal box would work in getting me outside of my same old meals. I just haven’t done it. I noticed Target had a meal bag that looked interesting and I have considered getting one to see if I like it. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.