Monday, June 18, 2018

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Say Hello To My Little Friends" Edition--



We celebrated Father's Day on Saturday by grilling steaks and corn and inviting these bad boys to the party as well. 

These lobsters came from Quebec as it's not quite lobster harvesting season in US waters.
Don't say I don't support the Canadian economy! lolz

Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

This is what was planned--

1. Sunday--Tacos
2. Monday--Leftovers(Stuffed Shells or whatever you find)
3. Tuesday--Pecan Chicken, Squash Casserole
4. Wednesday--Reuben Sandwiches, Cabbage
5. Thursday--Eggplant Parm, Salad
6. Friday--Chicken Tenders, Veg(TBD)
7. Saturday--?  Pizza or something easy from the Freezer

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Tacos
2. Monday--Leftovers(Stuffed Shells or whatever you find)
3. Tuesday--Pecan Chicken, Squash Casserole
4. Wednesday--Reuben Sandwiches, Cabbage
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Chicken Tenders, Spinach Salad
7. Saturday--Father's Day Cook-Out(steak,lobster,corn)

Everything got served(I had a eggplant parm tv dinner on Thursday but everyone else had something different)and we had Father's Day meal on Sat. instead of Sun. because the weather was nicer that day.  I got 1/2 price bag of spinach so Fri. TBD Veg became a Spinach Salad.
Last week saw lots of cooking.
I also made TWO desserts last week(I don't often make those.).  I had a 1/2 a can of cherry pie filling in the fridge that needed using up so I made a Pear/Cherry Crisp in the crock pot. Recipe HERE. (My addition is to layer a few sheets of paper towel on top, under the lid so that it doesn't dry out too much while cooking in the crock pot.)  This is a double win because it used a box of cake mix that needed to go as well.  Then I made a pan of brownies for Father's Day at Hubs request.

Last week saw 5 nights of home cooked dinners, 2 night of leftovers/fend for yourself, 0 nights of Take-Out or Eating Out.  

A trip to Ollie's, Weis, and the Shursave market brought the weekly food spending to $84.00 and the monthly total to $315.63.

I've got $84.37 left in the food budget for June and 12 days left in my shopping month.  

My savings percentages last week was 48.20%(without Rite-Aid trips)and June's monthly savings total so far is at 53.46%.

Leftovers going into this week......a few helpings of Beef Pie and lots of Stuffed Shells(it made a ton), Cabbage and a small hunk of Corned Beef.

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--Fend For Yourself
2. Monday--BLTs
3. Tuesday--Fish, Cole Slaw, Veg TBD
4. Wednesday--Breakfast for Dinner
5. Thursday--Chicken Parm, Salad
6. Friday--Brats on Rolls w/Onions, Baked Beans, Veg TBD
7. Saturday--Leftovers

This week will see 5 new meals cooked, 2 night of leftovers/FFY and 0 nights of Take-Out/Eating Out.
Sandwiches tonight due to the heat advisory here and I don't want to run the oven.  Wed. may be a FFY night as well and everyone can make their fav breakfast foods because I am not making 8 different things. lolz

Not much inventive or exciting this week as I've got things to get done.  Everything except Tuesday's dinner can be handled by the other 3 people who live here if I don't feel like orchestrating meals this week.

What needs buying for this menu? Tomatoes, Cabbage for Cole Slaw and Lettuce.
I'll just stay in town and shop for this stuff and hope for good prices.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

13 comments:

  1. As a representative of Canada I hereby thank you for supporting our economy. How much longer you'll be able to do that is a mystery! You might need to confer with Donald J on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did pulled pork sandwiches, green beans, and a tomato, cucumber & mozzarella salad with balsamic vinegar for our Father's Day meal (ALL veggies from our garden - yay!!) but yours sounds a WHOLE lot better - wish I'd been at your house!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did 6 nights of homecooked dinners and one night we ate out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a menu planner at all. we've been eating out the freezer and pantry this last week, and using the crockpot as its really cold here and coming home to a hot meal already cooked is nice. I'm finally starting to see a difference in how full the freezer is!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A surf and turf meal is a perfect Father's Day dinner. Don't know about supporting those nefarious people to our north though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We ended up eating out once when daughter was gone, and then met friends Saturday for a meal out which was sort of dumb since we both had been at several grad parties. Otherwise, we just ate what was in the house, and happy to use up stuff that needed to be used up. Do you have a recipe link? Squash casserole and pecan chicken, please-yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old Mr. Food recipe for the chicken. This is what I could find online https://www.mrfood.com/Chicken/Mustard-Pecan-Chicken-Fillets-727
      The older one I have calls for less molasses(2 TB)and honey instead of just molasses. And I don't dredge the chicken in teh ground nuts, I just sprinkle them heavily on the top side. You can make a paleo version of this pretty easily too.

      Delete
  7. Please do share your squash casserole recipe when you get a chance. I love all kinds of squash. TIA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blogged it here years ago.......https://simpleslug.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-familys-favorite-summer-squash.html
      Cracker crumbles on top are optional and we usually don't put those on nowadays.

      Delete
  8. Meal plan last week was not spend a fortune on eating out while we were in North Carolina for the week. We didn't do too bad. We ate out 6 times for lunch during the week but the rest was stuff we bought from the grocery store and ate at the condo. Father's Day was spent driving home and being in the car for 14.5 hours! Bill chose McDonald's for dinner. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meal plan went as scheduled. Went out on Saturday with friend. This week - leftovers and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always eat your friends? Thanks for the warning. There was no father around of any sort, so no celebrations at all. Exbf has no children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only my friends with claws and hard shells. lolz

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.