Monday, October 17, 2016

This Week on the Dining Table


It's the "I Got To See This Guy" Edition.......



Hubs and I were up to College Boy's school to see him perform and take him out for dinner this past weekend.
It was nice.
Other than the profusion of hair he looks good and is feeling happier and doing better than he has in awhile now.
My "baby" turns 21 in 4 months.....how did this happen?? ;-)

Moving on......
Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week--

1. Sunday--Chicken and Dumplings
2. Monday--Sausage Sandwiches w/Onions, Roasted Cauliflower w/Garlic
3. Tuesday--Leftovers(Rigatoni), Veggie TBD
4. Wednesday--Mac & Cheese w/Ham,
5. Thursday--Caesar Salad w/Chicken Strips, Baked Potato
6. Friday--Fend for Yourself/Leftovers
7. Saturday--Fend for Yourself(Out of Town)


And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Chicken and Dumplings with Carrots
2. Monday--Sausage Sandwiches w/Onions(Kids got Chinese Take-Out)
3. Tuesday--Leftovers(Rigatoni), Leftover Green Beans
4. Wednesday--Chicken w/Mushroom Rice Casserole, Brussels Sprouts
5. Thursday--Mac & Cheese w/Ham, Leftover Broccoli
6. Friday--Barbecue Beef on Rolls, Cole Slaw
7. Saturday--Caesar Salad w/Chicken Strips, Baked Potato

6/7 meals cooked at home, 1 of them a night of leftovers, 0 nights Eating Out and 0/1 nights of Take-Out.

As for the grocery spending.....2 trips to Weis, 1 trip to the Shursave market, 1 trip to Target(for freebies) and 1 trip to Maine Source(restaurant supply)store brought my weekly spending to $171.33 and my October food spending Subtotal to $236.04 with 14 days left in the month.

My try at a $300 monthly food spending doesn't look likely for October at this point.  I am thinking $400 a month($100 per adult)is about as low as I am going to be able to go for now.
I wanted to eat down the reserves in October but the free turkey incentives have appeared and the Holiday specials have started as well.  You know.....the cheap butter and baking goods deals as well as the "spend $X get a free turkey for Thanksgiving" deals.
sigh.

I have been doing well however in my savings percentages in October.  Since I buy practically everything on sale price(and use a coupon if available)or buy food at non-traditional sources that home cooks don't frequent, I am saving over buying at regular retail prices.  Last week's shopping netted me a 53.54% savings rate and to date I have a 53.03% rate for the month.(These rates don't take into consideration what I bring home for free from Rite-Aid either.) 8-))

Leftovers going into this week........rigatoni in sauce, small container of flavored noodles, 2 pieces of chicken w/mushroom risotta, mac & cheese w/ham, bbq beef and 1 crab cake.

Here is this week's "food plan".

1. Sunday--Fend for Yourself or Leftovers
2. Monday--Pizza, Salad
3. Tuesday--Chili, Cornbread, Collards
4. Wednesday--Leftovers
5. Thursday--Cheese Lasagna, Salad
6. Friday--Fish, Roasted Cauliflower Acorn Squash and Potatoes
7. Saturday--Leftovers

This week will see 3 new meals cooked and 0 nights of Take-Out(but frozen pizzas one night)and 2 nights of Leftovers.

What I need to buy for this menu? Salad Greens basically and 2 frozen pizzas.  I won't have time to do the pizzas from scratch today if our plans for the day pan out.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. Yup, Holiday and baking sales are here, along with spend $X and get a free/cheap turkey (or choice of other protein such as ham, lasagna, etc.With my weekly deals from Shoprite, it looks like we'll be geting a free turkey from there. Price Rite, their sister store, has fzn turkey @ 58/lb this week, spend $25, limit 1. I may* grab that deal with a mid week top up on perishables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his hair! I have not even looked at ads or a store this past week.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your son looks like a true music professional. Great pic!

    I did deviate last night, as it was cold & stormy & I wanted to make soup. And crostini. Oh, and martinis. ;-) I sent my husband back to Costco & we had a fab meal. But, I'm already $5 over my grocery budget & there's more month left.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so much fun to get to see our kids perform, no matter what the performance is (arts, debate, scholastic teams, sports__you name it) . Glad you were able to go. Seems ours had a concert last week, but he failed to mention it to us. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My baby is turning 21 too. It's so sad.
    We say we are eating down the reserves and then finds a hunk of meat and adds to the freezer. As long as he cooks it, I'm fine with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta love performing kids! Your son is an extremely talented flute player and I know you are very proud. My daughters are involved in several ensembles at their school but they are not music majors. Many of their friends are though and the program can be very demanding in skill and time. Great job youngest!!

    DeeCee

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.