Monday, October 22, 2018

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Something I've Never Seen in a Grocery Store Here Before" Edition--

In case the signage is too small or you don't recognize these, they are Jackfruit from India.
And they are ginormous!  I read that a jackfruit can get up to 120 lbs......geez!
My question is--why are they in a grocery store in podunk PA( very small town a half hour west of my town with no Indian/Southeast Asian population)?!?
Has provincial small town PA suddenly developed a taste for something more exotic than pierogi and halushki?  Lololz
I am still shaking my head over this one.......


Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

This is what was planned--

1. Sunday--Beef Stroganof, Rice, TBD Veggie
2. Monday--Halushki
3. Tuesday--?
4. Wednesday--?
5. Thursday--?
6. Friday--?
7. Saturday--FFY(Fend for Yourself)

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Beef Stroganof, Rice, TBD Veggie
2. Monday--Halushki
3. Tuesday--Leftovers at Brother's house
4. Wednesday--Fried Shrimp, Salad, Mashed Taters
5. Thursday--Pizza, Salad
6. Friday--Beef Brisket, Sweet Potatoes, Cole Slaw, Banana Pudding(Hubs and I shared a platter)
7. Saturday--Fend for Yourself(I had an English Muffin)

Last week saw 2 nights of home cooked dinners, 2 nights of leftovers/fend for yourself, 3 nights of Eating Out.  We were in VA and NC for a large part of the week so there was a bit of eating out.  Tues. we had leftovers the night we got to VA(had lunch at Chick Fil-A on the way down). Wed. we had breakfast out, no lunch and a dinner out. Thurs. we had breakfast at the motel, a late lunch at Pizza Hut and munchies in the room for dinner. Fri. we had breakfast at the motel, lunch at a BBQ joint and a burger at BK after going to the movies. Sat. we had Micky D's for breakfast on the road, lunch w/older son at Chili's and dinner was FFY at home.

1 big trip to Weis, a Bread Outlet trip and a trip to Maines restaurant supply for mostly produce-all before we left town last week-brought the weekly food spending to $123.76 and brought the monthly total to $153.61.
I have 9 days left in my shopping month for October.

My savings percentage last week was 48.93%(without Rite-Aid trips)and October's monthly savings total comes to 48.55%(w/out R-A)so far.

Leftovers going into this week......beef stroganof, halushki, cheddar broccoli soup.  The kids didn't seem to have eaten any of the leftover foods....gee, what a surprise. lolz

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--Cheese Lasagna
2. Monday--Leftovers
3. Tuesday--Chicken Strips, Sweet Potato Fries, Veggie TBD
4. Wednesday--Beef Stew, Biscuits
5. Thursday--Rigatoni, Meat Sauce, Salad(Hubs will cook this)
6. Friday--Chicken and Chilies Enchiladas, Beans, Rice
7. Saturday--FFY(Fend for Yourself)

I made a big pot of pasta sauce w/meat on Sunday to use on the Lasagna.  Leftover sauce will be used on Thursday so Hubs can give me a night off from cooking(He can boil pasta and add the sauce and open a bag of salad aka as "cooking" in his world. lol)

This week will see 5 new meals cooked, 2 night of leftovers/FFY, 0 nights of Take-Out/Eating Out.  Between the trip to Maine and the trip to VA/NC I have had my fill of Eating Out for awhile. ;-)

What needs buying for this menu?  Nothing really except salad greens and milk.  Should make for a cheap grocery week, right? ;-)

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week? 


Sluggy  

8 comments:

  1. I don't see a Jackfruit entre in your plan?! I have always heard these were good. I want to try sometime! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sluggy,
    As you might imagine, Jackfruit isn't uncommon in UK supermarkets because so many Britons are of South East Asian and Caribbean heritage. However, Jackfruit has also become central to veganism - which is becoming so prevalent in many Western countries - because it is fibrous and mimics meat (to an extent).

    It's increasingly being used for vegan ready meals! See:
    https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/gb/groceries/sainsburys-bbq-pulled-jackfruit-350g?dclid=CNP-_7a3mt4CFcjN3godjlYEVw&langId=44&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6rXeBRD3ARIsAD9ni9Cm3JDAQYMcHjBmGvs9pG0npEFV1PEeG_-USCAKpDJB_jTu4bnnOdUaAh6XEALw_wcB&storeId=10151&krypto=RqY5ChpWreP%2BB1MYXKERlxQyMP2b1DQUowa3HV9xwYuZwEU07zUGpR6v40PPCXa7uj2ZUZYMCcApHkozXPi7qVTpHVV2XQIAfzoDwLawBqcftbCg8OHBNIhz46wpZ96eOR4q%2Fhw%2Fai2NlZnfxZ52Y%2BEpX99yMDQtDWJwmtRRf%2BOLxJCgN%2BOuvKbhTDcgLoyRdtA0Q%2BplLh8Ya66v9eKiyzwhVaAfTwD75CIiO5lyWtAgxdWXno1CZ1k1RtdH5kYokgAHWqKojfU67rfxSX%2Faqg%3D%3D&ddkey=https%3Agb%2Fgroceries%2Fsainsburys-bbq-pulled-jackfruit-350g

    I'm guessing that veganism might be at the root of its appearance in your town?

    Anyway, hope you are well.

    Heloise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it like a starch or a potato like fruit/veggie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food wise... it is leftover city for this girl. I have the week off, but I will be going out of town on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking seriously at buying a jackfruit lately. I understand they are quite good bbq-ed. They are always available at out local Asian market and I have seen them at sprouts several times lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree it's a bit weird to see it in your neck of the woods, although maybe recent immigrants to the area asked for it? We saw it frequently in the farmer's markets when we were in Hawaii, and I can verify it's delicious. Just thank your lucky stars it wasn't durian LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Last year our pricey grocer on the west side of PA carried them. My kids laughed at it but I really had no interest in buying one. About a week later, one of the very funny morning radio DJs told a story about how they bought one and as luck would have it, his wife was SEVERELY allergic to it and ended up at the ER!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy it canned at Trader Joe’s.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.