Monday, October 14, 2024

This Week on the Dining Table....Oct.13 to Oct. 19


One of the local grocery stores here keeps advertising a special on "Calabaza" Squash.  What is pictured looks like a light skinned zucchini and is not in fact Calabaza Squash.

Here is a a Calabaza Squash....


Calabaza is a type of pumpkin and neither resembles what is pictured in color or shape.

A little more digging and I found what they pictured is a Calabacita(it's Spanish name), which is known as a Mexican Zucchini.  It's English name is Tatum Squash.

Calabacita as well as Zucchini are Summer Squashes while Pumpkins like Calabaza are Winter Squashes.

I know you were all on pins and needles over this. 8-)


September's Meal Planning turned into a big fat Cluster "You Know What"  so we are starting fresh in October.

Onward to the meal planning!

This is what was planned for last week...........
1. Sunday--Salmon, Roasted Brussels Sprouts
2. Monday--Steak, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Grilled Pineapple
3. Tuesday--Beer Brats(rolls optional), Zero Sugar Baked Beans
4. Wednesday--Chicken Parm, Spinach Soufflé, (Hubs Spaghetti too)
5. Thursday--Subway 1/2 a sub, Salad
6. Friday--Leftover Lasagna, Garlic Bread, Veggie TBD(Salad?)
7. Saturday--Assorted Leftovers

And here's what actually happened....
1. Sunday--Salmon, Roasted Brussels Sprouts
2. Monday--Steak, Baked Sweet Potato Fries, Grilled Pineapple
3. Tuesday--Beer Brats(rolls optional), Zero Sugar Baked Beans
4. Wednesday--I had Green Beans(Hubs had Brats)
5. Thursday--Subway subs
6. Friday--Chicken Parmesan, Teriyaki Green Beans
7. Saturday--Roasted Broccoli, Roast Chicken

I was too tired to get dinner on the table in a timely fashion on Wednesday so Hubs started a row with me and he made his own dinner(of leftover brats)and I had some of the planned green beans.  We had that Wednesday meal on Friday.  I picked up a day old Roasted Chicken at Walmart and a reduced bag of Broccoli at Kroger so Saturday's dinner became Roasted Broccoli(with Balsamic drizzle on it)and a reheated half a chicken(I used the other half to make a bowl of chicken salad for lunches).

What got taken out of the freezer last week....
*  Salmon
*  Steaks
*  Brats
*  Chicken Patties

What got put into the freezer last week....
*  2 lbs. Shrimp
                    
Last week we spent $173.92 grocery shopping.  

Total shopping comes to $321.05 for October.   There are 17 shopping days left in October.  

Rebate monies earned this month so far.....
I've earned $174.07 on Ibotta in October.
I've earned $3.00 on Shopmium in October.
I've earned $0.00 on TaDa in October.
I've earned $23.48 on Checkout51 in October.
I've earned $59.49 on Aisle, etc. in October. (Haven't gotten my Nature Valley rebate yet from June.)
I've earned 16,160 points on Fetch from food shopping in October.
I've earned 2,237 points from food shopping on Shop Kick in October.($8.94)
I've earned 468 Points on My Points in October.(not sure what the conversion rate it here)
I've earned 1,638 from food shopping on Swag Bucks in October.($16.38)

That is $260.04 in rebates(not counting Shop Kick/Fetch/MyPoints/Swag Bucks/The Insiders were I earned gift cards)on $321.05 of grocery spending so in reality it's $61.01 in food spending after the rebate apps I count. I now separate out the Food Bank donations and don't count those in the grocery spending(but I do count any rebates on those items) so it's a win/win--the food bank gets a large donation of goods and I get a lower grocery bill.

My savings percentage for the last week was 53.71% and the monthly savings total for October comes in at 48.64% spent.

Leftovers going into this week....Lasagna, Meatloaf, Garlic Bread, Roasted Broccoli, Chicken Salad(I made from the leftover Roast Chicken, 2 Brats, Baked Beans and Green Beans.

Other than any loss leaders, things I can pick up for the food bank or a special on strawberries at Kroger that starts Wednesday, I don't plan on much grocery shopping this week.

Here is this week's food plan.....
1. Sunday--Leftover Lasagna, Salad, Leftover Garlic Bread
2. Monday--BBQ Pork, Coleslaw, Asparagus
3. Tuesday--Leftover Meatloaf, Assorted Leftover Veggies
4. Wednesday--Homemade Sauce with Pasta, Salad
5. Thursday--Crab Cakes, Leftover or Frozen 
Veggies
6. Friday--Chicken Strips, Leftover or Frozen Veggies
7. Saturday--Shrimp, Leftover or Frozen Veggies

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week? 

Sluggy

2 comments:

  1. Another week with no liver. I call that success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for that comment I may make liver to spite you because you know how I am. 8-))

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.