Sunday, January 29, 2017

2017 Food & Toiletries Spending....January Update

* Posting my grocery totals a few days early as I am done food spending for January.  If for some reason I shop again before Wednesday, this amount will go onto February's spending.*

Onward to January's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for JANUARY 2017.

I have posted January's totals on the Total Grocery Savings Page located HERE and have updated the Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in January.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 4-5(5 at home this month). No kids under 20.

******************

BREAD OUTLET
OOP  $10.75
Value  $54.90
Savings  80.42%

RITE-AID
OOP  $0.00
Qs/Ads/PPs  $873.20
Value  $873.20
Savings  100%

SHURSAVE MARKET
OOP  $50.74
Qs/Ads $27.28
Value  $78.02
Savings  35%

SURPLUS OUTLET
OOP  $37.01
Value  $102.01
Savings  63.72%

TARGET
OOP  $0.00
Value  $66.46
Savings  100%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $452.77
Qs/Ads  $433.45
Value  $886.22
Savings  48.91%

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 100%, Target at 100% and the Bread Outlet at 80.42%.  My WORST savings rate was Shursave Market at 35%.
The bulk of my money was spent at Weis Markets in January and I had a 48.92% savings rate there.
I shopped at 6 different stores this past month.


TOTAL Out of Pocket..........$551.27
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$433.45
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$886.22
TOTAL Savings of ..................................73.25%
TOTAL Savings w/o Rite-Aid of ..............53.58%

This closes out the January food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into January wanting to spend $500 on food and toiletries.
I went over budget by $51.27 because of a few stock-up opportunities.

The monthly food spending savings percentage went UP by 4.79% in January to 73.25% compared to December's 68.46% savings average.  January's Rite-Aid haul of freebies after sales/coupons/points really helped raise the savings rate overall this month.

With 1 month accounted for, I have spent a Grand Total of $551.27 on food/toiletries in 2017 which averages out to $551.27 per month spent in 2017. 8-)


LOOKING AHEAD To February........

3 weeks into January and word came that the BF was going back to Louisiana to live.  For me, this means I can back down on my grocery/toiletries spending in 2017.  I no longer will need a $6K food budget for 2017. 8-)))
I should be able to do a $300-$400 food budget per month now so I am shooting for between $3300 and $4400 in food spending for the rest of 2017(or $3800 to $4900 for the full year).

For February I am going to try for a $300 grocery budget as College Boy won't be home this month.
Perhaps I can do even better by heavily relying on the stockpile/freezer in February?  Time will tell.

If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in January?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

3 comments:

  1. We are digging our way out of debt, so yes, we are watching every penny! I'm a "nerd" when it comes to this sort of thing, so I enjoy seeing the breakdown of what is spent and where.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between groceries and all household, I tallied spending to just under $350, $250 groceries and $100 all other, but included some multi month items like my melatonin, hair product for daughter, and skin care. Not where I wanted, but getting serious for February and rest of year with an aggressive $300 food, $50 household target average. I'm setting aside $10 per week for December splurged so not caught of guard, and so overage that month goes there. Hoping to eat well, spend less through meal planning and smarter shopping.Pop, junk food like chips, and ready made (not helpful convenience items) will be sacrificed for more water, seed popped popcorn, and home baking where I control ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat out of storage. Sunday dinner, pork chops(bought 50% off sticker and frozen)then potatoes (free gleaned 120 lbs) green beans 3/1 in storage, apple pie (frozen from when I made pies) pop overs (eggs chickens,flour,milk,salt, home made jelly out of storage, Only thing purchased this month was milk and ice cream to go with pie. We have virtually eaten this way all month! Meats are getting low and we are down to beef, no burger left. I have 10 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts on rain check for$1.69 lb.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.