Wednesday, May 31, 2017

2017 Food & Toiletries Spending.....May Update

* Posting my grocery totals a bit early as I am done food spending for May.  If for some reason I shop again before Thursday, this amount will go onto June's spending.*

Onward to May's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for MAY 2017.

I have posted May's totals on the Total Grocery Savings Page located HERE and have updated the Totals there.
I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in May.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 3-4(4 at home this month). No kids under 21.

******************
ALDI
OOP  $5.32
Value  $10.87
Savings   51.05%

BREAD OUTLET
OOP  $13.09
Value  $48.41
Savings  73.00%

RITE-AID
OOP  $1.50
Qs/Ads/PPs  $182.12
Value  $183.62
Savings  99.18%

SHURSAVE MARKET
OOP  $62.27
Qs/Ads  $52.21
Value  $114.48
Savings  45.61%

TRADER JOE'S
OOP  $41.85
Value  $75.48
Savings   44.55%

WALMART
OOP  $13.96
Value  $23.88
Savings   41.54%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $76.31
Qs/Ads/Free Gift Cards  $217.20
Value  $293.51
Savings  74.00%

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Rite-Aid at 99.18%, Aldi's at 51.05% and Weis at 74.00%.  My WORST savings rate was Walmart at 41.54%.
Ok, having a "worst" savings rate of 41.54% is not too shabby..... ;-)

I shopped at 7 different stores this past month.


TOTAL Out of Pocket..........$214.30
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$535.95
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$750.25
TOTAL Savings of ..................................71.44%

This closes out the May food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into May not knowing where we'd come out on the budget since I was away for half of the month and the family was loose with my food budget. I also spent $61.13 on various foods to bring home while in VA too(most of that spending was for a case of wine at Trader Joe's).  And I actually had a brain fart and spent $1.50 in REAL MONEY at Rite-Aid this month instead of spending down $1.50 in Plenti Points! ugh ugh ugh
Any month I can stay under $300 in food spending is a good month in my book so I am happy overall with how the money played out in May.

The monthly food spending savings percentage went DOWN by 5.61% in May to 71.44% compared to April's 77.05% savings average.  Not worried about that since over a 70% savings rate is still awesome.  ;-)

With 5 months accounted for, I have spent a Grand Total of $1,565.90 on food/toiletries in 2017 which is a 72.77% savings rate for the year to-date and averages out to $313.18 per month spent in 2017. 8-)


LOOKING AHEAD To June........
Well I've got $260 in prepaid Visa cards($200 was purchased and $60 was a "freebie").  If I can only spend that $260 on food in June it won't add to my OOP spending for the month since they were paid for in April(but the $200 will still count against my food spending since they weren't free).  If I can stay at that amount or less it means no additional $ put on the credit card in June to pay off in July.

I need to balance stocking a few items so that when we leave mid-July the kids still have plenty in the pantry/freezer to prepare meals with and not overspending in June on deals.  I think $260 is enough to get the job done.  I'd love to stretch it out into July until we leave on our trip too but that might be too optimistic.  $260 to cover food for 6 weeks(or $43.33 per week)?  We shall see if THAT's do-able!


If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in May?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Nice total OOP. You work hard at couponing and do a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.