Monday, September 26, 2011

Food Spending Week 2.5-3.5 & Meal Plan

So here is what I planned on serving for dinner last week....

Sunday--Spaghetti and Meatballs
Monday--Chicken Biscuits, Corn
Tuesday--Trout, Fries, Pan Roasted Summer Veggies
Wednesday--Pork Chops w/Apricot Glaze, Potato Salad, Brussel Sprouts
Thursday--Meatloaf, Roasted Potatoes and Carrots
Friday--Leftovers
Saturday--Hot Dogs, Leftover Veggies/Potato Salad

And here is what actually happened....

Sunday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad
Monday--Chicken Biscuits, Corn
Tuesday--Trout, Fries, Brussel Sprouts
Wednesday--Leftovers
Thursday--Meatloaf, Potato Salad, leftover Corn
Friday--Chinese take-out, Pizza(sleepover night)
Saturday--Hot Dogs on rolls, leftover side dishes

We got takeout on Friday since there was a surprise Teen Sleepover & I didn't have enough Pork Chops thawed to feed everyone.

Groceries bought last week....
$33.87
And most of that($25.09)was crap/snacks bought on Friday for the sleepover....ice cream, chips, soda and pies.  I never went grocery shopping last week. The only 'real food' I did buy were a container of ricotta cheese, a gallon of milk and a dozen eggs.

This week I want to stock up on some salmon which is on sale.  This hasn't been a good price in ages so I'm spending what I have left in the budget for September on fish for the freezer.  I should have enough for about 5 lbs. worth.

So here is what I am planning on serving this week for meals, working solely on what I have already.

Sunday--Pork Chops, California veg. medley, leftover Potato Salad, Applesauce
Monday--Lasagna(using crumbled leftover meatloaf from last week in the sauce)
Tuesday--Fried Mac & Cheese(using up leftover mac/cheese), Mixed Veggies
Wednesday--Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Broccoli
Thursday--Beef Pie Casserole w/carrots and green beans
Friday--Chicken Cheese Quesadillas, Green Salad
Saturday--Leftovers

No take-out this week.  And I know that Tues. meal is lame but it's the only thing I can think of to get them to eat the leftover mac and cheese!lol  I look at this unhealthy choice this way....the Fair they hold this week is canceled this year due to the flooding....and they ate far worse stuff at the Fair so Tues. meal is my homage to fair food.lol

I've got most everything to accomplish this meal plan except I will have to buy carrots and salad greens along with our usual milk purchases for the week.
And some fresh fruit as we are all out.

I'm at $215.34 spent for September so far.
I've got $34.66 left in the food budget with 5 days left to go.

Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! We spent a bajillion dollars on wedding food and plan to live on that for the next several months. You probably still beat us tho.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to go to the fair and eat food that isnt good for me(mostly controlled from certain families). But instead we had meatloaf and a new baby and a rotten college aged child oh and our new baby still doesnt have a name.

    sigh....guess I better figure out what we are eating this week

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still trying to figure out just how to fry macaroni and cheese. Feeding teens and friends is difficult on a budget. Do you ever throw in something that is actually good for them and hope they just eat it accidentally? LOL...but, hey ice cream is nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you did good. What the heck is fried mac and cheese?

    ReplyDelete
  5. McVal--Well at least you won't have to cook for the foreseeable future!lol I'd be ok with having alot of smoked meat things in my fridge....

    Judy--Just tell the family to open and door and find something....meal planning is overrated this week.lol
    And besides, it's muggy and hot as hell here today....too hot to cook. Let's all go out for Chinese!

    PracticalP--Yes, I try to sneak healthy stuff past them but they get wise to my tricks.lol
    Ice Cream here is it's own food group!

    SonyaAnn--Thanks babe! And I you....

    Free!--Well it's too hot to cook and nobody wants my fried mac and cheese so I'm sending it to you. Please provide your address.lol
    Go google fried mac and cheese....you'll have a heart attack just reading the recipe.lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG my kids would love it. My kids get excited over tater tot casserole. They think it's a special treat...lol

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.