Monday, July 13, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Just Say No!" Edition..........


First off, just for the record, I have never been a big fan of cauliflower, the vegetable.  I'll eat it(especially from fresh and roasted)and Ex-CB has always loved it(which will be good if he ever decides to go full-on Keto)so I've cooked it often enough.
Then I saw these in Ollie's(Good Stuff Cheap!)awhile back-Cheddar flavor crackers made from cauliflower.  Then I saw them again, this time at P and R Discounters last week and I still couldn't bring myself to buy a box.
Has anyone tried these and am I missing out on a flavor taste treat(minus the calories)?  Inquiring minds......

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-

This is what was planned.........

1. Sunday--Leftovers(I had corn on cob, mushroom ravioli)
2. Monday--Taco Salad or Tacos
3. Tuesday--Chinese Take-out or ?
4. Wednesday--Shrimp Scampi w/Linguine, whatever fresh produce I can find this week(maybe Broccoli from our backyard 8-)))
5. Thursday--Chicken Marsala w/Mushrooms over Mashed Potatoes, Spinach Salad
6. Friday--Leftovers
7. Saturday--Big Salad

And this is what really happened.......

1. Sunday--Leftovers(I had corn on cob, mushroom ravioli)
2. Monday--Chinese Take-out because Hubs didn't thaw the taco meat lol
3. Tuesday--Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Tacos or Taco Salad
5. Thursday-- Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad(I had a salad)
6. Friday--Grilled Chicken Breast, Broccoli Casserole
7. Saturday--Fend for Yourself(I had Butternut Squash Ravioli)


Last week saw 3 nights of home cooked dinners, 3 night of leftovers/FFY, and 1 night of Take-Out.  
The Marsala and the Scamp didn't happen because I couldn't stand that long to cook it without pain so we punted-Hubs made spaghetti with the meatballs I thawed and we had chicken on Friday with some lovely breasts I found at P and R for cheap and broccoli we picked from our garden made into a casserole.

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 2 rolls of breakfast sausage
* 3 lbs. of butter

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* Ground Beef for Taco filling
* Meatballs
* 1 Squash Ravioli TV Dinner

We spent $103.70 last week($16.49 of that was at CVS)and the rest was that trip to P and R, Hubs bought 2 items at Weis(PMITA)Markets spending $3.49, $3.56 spent at Dollar General and a $38.41 trip to Walmart.
July spending so far comes in at $133.08.

I earned $13.10 on Ibotta in July so far and .50¢ on SavingStar.

My savings percentage for last week was 69.32%(without "regular"Rite-Aid trips)for July and the monthly savings total comes in at 64.99%(w/out R-A).

I have 18 more food shopping/spending days in July.

Leftovers going into this week.......1 helping broccoli casserole, 1 helping of spaghetti and meatballs.  Not much really.
There are 2 ears of corn I need to strip and throw the kernels into the freezer to put into cornbread the next time I make that.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--FFY
2. Monday--Steak, Spinach Salad
3. Tuesday--Chicken Caesar Salad
4. Wednesday--Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches, Sweet Potato Wedges
5. Thursday--Pizza, Salad
6. Friday--Chicken Marsala w/Mushrooms over Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli
7. Saturday--Shrimp Scamp w/Linguine or ? depending on if Eldest son is here by then

What needs buying for this menu? More lettuce(romaine)as we can't seem to stay ahead with the lettuce crop. I'll replant lettuce in the barrel planter after my spinach bolts. Other than that, carrots(for coleslaw and carrot cake), some cheese(a deal at Weis + I have Qs) and my caffeine-free tea(on sale),there isn't much to buy this week.

Schiff's(another restaurant supply store)took over Maines and they are back open so I want to go there later this week for a pork butt/shoulder to smoke and make bbq while Eldest son is home.  No lunch meat to buy this week since I got 5 small Budding meat packets on Sat. at Walmart (that cost me .90¢ total after Q and Ibotta rebate).  I might make 1 trip out to Weis on Tuesday and that is it besides Schiff's.

What's left on my master list of meals we can make from what's at home(not that I'm referring to/using it at this point with the heat).
* Shrimp Tempura
* Tuna Casserole
* Roasted Chicken
* Shrimp/Crab Ravioli
* Cheese Ravioli
* Breakfast for Dinner
* Haddock Fish Dinner  new
* Chicken Tenders  new
* Beef Liver  new
Plus lots of thinly sliced Chicken Breast, grass fed Ground Beef and Ground Turkey in the freezer.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. I absolutely detest cauliflower...always have, always will. The only way I can bear it is roasted with broccoli, though I forced myself to try the latest concoctions, including cauli-crackers, (not cheese, though). I don't think you are missing anything. They were horrible. I can't wait until this keto, cauli-rice, cauli-crust, cauli-everything food fad fades, as it will. They all do eventually when something takes their place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Jethelyn, she has major jokes about cauliflower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like cauliflower raw as a vehicle for dip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like cauliflower but it gives my husband gas so it’s usually just a side for me. I do add a head of it to potato soup and he has no gas issues so it may just be in his head. The bacon seitan would be great in this soup. ☺️

    I found some 5+ year old black beans buried in the pantry and decided to give them a try. They were perfectly fine in black bean sweet potato soup after a 24 soak in the refrigerator.

    A big pot of my version of Indian food and rice should cover most of the week. Already made mushroom pasta so I think that will be it.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not convinced those crackers contain much cauliflower or even make a dent in the calories or nutrition...but i'm always skeptical when something is advertised as a better option...is it REALLLLYYYYYYY?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not seen thatbrand but other caulflower cracker like food Ive had I liked. I like cauliflower roasted and as buffalo cauliflower. I like it part of a three veg mix, but alone, yeah, sort of dull, but I don't hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love cauliflower so I would probably like the crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update - we’re little piggies lately and ate all the pasta for lunch. I had a big bag of stir fry mix taking up freezer space so just made it for dinner and lunch tomorrow. The black bean soup also somehow disappeared yesterday. Maybe Daryl the dog is finding a way into the refrigerator? We do have him on a diet. 😁

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.