Sunday, June 7, 2020

If It's Thursday It Must be Hershey-Part 2

So after escaping from the medical complex Hubs needed to get gas for the car ride home and use the bathroom so we hit a Sheetz so he could do both.


Next door was Mickey D's so we drove through for a coffee(him)and an iced tea(me).
And we proceeded to Sharp Shopper.

I didn't take any photos again but here is one from the internet of the front of the building........


And now is when you cue the heavenly angelic music, as I enter the store.........


The store was HUGE, very well organized and CLEAN!  The aisles were wide too and not too many people in the store(we hit there at a good time evidently).


They had just about anything you might want in food, not as much in paper goods and HBA/OTC meds but still there was a nice variety.


There was a bulk goods aisle, fresh produce, dairy and meats and a frozen food section too.


With a surplus or discount grocery outlet though you need to know your prices because everything is NOT a great deal. Some great deals, some good deals and some "eh" deals depending on what you are use to paying at your big grocery store/big box store.
As I don't have much freezer space at the moment I concentrated on pantry items mostly.

Here's most of my haul.......first the little bit of frozen stuff.


The Fish Pie(?)and Squash Ravioli tv dinners are for Hubs and I, respectively for when I don't want to cook(those were each $1.99). There are 2 Country Fried Steak dinners for Hubs and Ex-CB for 99¢ ea.(I don't eat that stuff).  The freezer meal Alfredo/Chicken/Pasta/Veggie casserole thing should feed all 3 of us($2.99)and the pasta in that is made with veggies too.  The apple/cheese snacking packs were 2/$1 and are for me.  The two hunks of Teriyaki Pork loin were $6.85 total, it was a two pack.   That was $2.99 lb. and 2.25 lbs. enough for at least 3 stir-fry meals with lots of leftovers.
I stuck Hubs/Ex-CB's hot sauce(3 for $1)in this photo because I forgot to put it in the next photo. lol

The 4 blue boxes on the left are facial tissue at .59¢ a piece(100 sheets each)
The bag on top of those is a bulk buy-cherry almond granola for $1.29 lb.
The 3 bottles are iced coffee(mocha)drinks for Ex-CB(3/$1).
There are 2 bottles of creamy Greek salad dressing for Hubs next to that(2/$1).
In the middle back(and in front of that too)are 7 bags of coffee-5 Starbucks Caramel for $2.99 ea.(any brand caramel is Ex-CB's fav)and 2 bags(1 Ugandan, 1 Nicaraguan)packed by a local importer and those are full 1 lb. bags for $2.99 ea.!
(I don't drink it and hate paying for it so if I can get decent coffee cheap, I am there. lol)
There are 5 cans of tomato soup(the Rite-Aid organic brand line)that cost $1 for all 5.
Next to that is a bottle of Olive Oil for $4.99(sounds high but a good buy for the brand/type/size bottle). 
In front of that is a .89¢ jar of celery seed(it's making pickles season!) ;-)
On the left front, those are 2 bags of Bob's Red Mill Semolina flour which were 4/$1.  I am going to actually pull out that pasta machine I got years ago and try my hand at handmade pasta finally!
The light blue box is BC key lime mousse packets for .99¢(a Summer treat for me).
To it's right is a 3 pack of baby aspirin for $2.99(I can get this for a similar price at Dollar Tree but I am wary of those China imported meds there.).
Right behind the baby aspirin is a grinder of Violet or Grape flavored sea salt from France at .99¢.  The salt was just something different to try. ;-)

I got these flats of coffee energy drinks and juice bottles for Ex-CB in hopes of his work reopening soon.  $2.99 and $3.75 from left to right and this will keep him from going to Starbucks or the gas station near work and spending $$ on drinks.  Please say a pray his store can open up sooner rather than later. 8-)

I also bought 4 loaves of bread(still not as cheap as my Bread Outlet at home but they are still closed down), some Kool-Aid(for Ex-CB since they didn't have any Gatorade or Power-ade at a cheap price), and a flavor of Utz potato chip we enjoy now and again but they only make that flavor sporadically(those were BOGO), but the best deal was this........


1 lb. clam shells of fresh local strawberries for .99¢ each.  I don't make jam, by frozen bags of them out of season and only eat them fresh so I limited myself to 3 lbs.-what we could eat this week before they went bad.
I love me some fresh strawberries and if I lived close to this store I'd just go buy a lb. every day until they were gone. lol

I spent just over $100 total(and that was with the cashier charging me an extra $1.99 for a frozen item I didn't buy(didn't check my receipt before leaving the store as Hubs was starving so that's on me).

So we packed the cooler and loaded the rest into the backseat and went looking for somewhere to eat.  This part of this country had a couple restaurants open with outdoor service(Hubs refuses to eat while driving)so we stopped here..........

The Udder Choice  Mostly they are known for ice cream(duh!)and their breakfast menu but they do serve sandwiches and such for lunch.  Nothing fancy....no fancy pesto, aioli, guacamole dressed type foods, just soup, sandwiches and the like.


The restaurant had erected a huge tent on the lawn beside the building and put out picnic tables very well socially distanced.
You had to use their app or call to order but cell phone reception was spotty and when I finally got through the line was always busy(1 line, they aren't set up for those amount of calling in orders).  So we just flagged down the waitress as she flew by and gave her our order(they had a menu posted by the front door)and waited for our food.  The weather was beautiful-hot but a nice breeze too.

Ephrata PA is in the middle of Amish and Mennonite enclaves(it's between Lebanon to the North and touristy Lancaster to the South).  We passed two Mennonite churches along the way to Sharp Shopper, as well as a few Amish homes displaying/selling quilts from their front porches, a Mennonite family was sitting at the table nearest to us and as we talked and ate lunch at least 3 of these passed in traffic on the road outside the restaurant(though I didn't stop eating to take any photos-this is off the internet).........


Tummies full we pointed the car Northward and headed home where I took pictures of the Sharp Shopper haul and put everything away, did my Humira injection, took a short lay down afterwards and Hubs got Chinese take-out dinners for him and Ex-CB and Hot and Sour soup for me.

Hitting a new-to-me grocery outlet, having a good doctor's visit(outside of the Foil Hat Lady encounter), and a nice lunch outside with Hubs turned this into a good Thursday.

How was your week?  Did anything good happen for you?
Have a great Sunday!

Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. We were in Lancaster on Thursday picking up the rest of my son's stuff from living out that way. Didn't know there was a Sharp Shopped there, we have one 20 minutes from home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My eek is the same-get up, either shower then check blogs, blogs then shower, log-in for work and do both personal tasks later-crazy times here! Actually though, had a little outing at my sister for her birthday. I need to see now when I can get in for my moth gard for the apnea-won't that be exciting getting to the big city again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Bobs semolina flour here for pasta cost me $4! Great deal

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Bob's semolina was a killer deal! Now I am going to have to head toward Pa to visit and shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. A day out to the Drs is almost a holiday these days, especially when you throw in a grocery outlet and a meal at a picnic table :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great deals! I have never been in a sharp shopper store but will check it out if I am close to one.
    We went to Strasburg/Ronks and Lancaster PA last summer. Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are incredible deals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That store is huge! I wouldn't mind spending a day shopping there :) You scored lots of good deals. I'm jealous of those Starbucks prices.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.