Monday, May 18, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Holy Cow!" Edition..........

I ran into the local Shursave on Saturday to pick up about $10 worth of foodstuffs and cruised by the meat counter.  No limit signs but at the prices they were asking, Yikes!  $6.99 lb. for 80% ground beef and $9.29 lb. for 90% lean ground beef?  I didn't even hazard a look at the roasts and steaks.

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-

This is what was planned.........
1. Sunday--Petite Steaks, Sweet Potato Fries, Asparagus
2. Monday--Ham Steaks, Broccoli or Tossed Salad, Baked Potato or reworked au gratin Taters
3. Tuesday--Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Quiche, Salad
5. Thursday--Pork Tenderloin Sammies, Squash and Onions
6. Friday--Hungarian Goulash over Mashed Taters or Noodles
7. Saturday--Leftovers

And this is what really happened........
1. Sunday--Petite Steaks, Sweet Potato Fries, Asparagus
2. Monday--Ham Steaks, leftover Sweet Pot Fries, Stir-Fry Veggies
3. Tuesday--Leftover Beans and Cornbread(all gone now)
4. Wednesday--Mushroom Quiche, Salad
5. Thursday--Roasted Chicken, Stuffing, Brussels Sprouts
6. Friday--Chinese Take-Out
7. Saturday--Pastrami Reuben Sandwiches

Last week saw 4-5 nights of home cooked dinners(5 if you consider a pre-roasted chicken from the deli home cooking lol), 1 night of leftovers/FFY, and 1 night of Take-Out.
The goulash and pork tenderloin sammies didn't happen but roasted chicken, pastrami ruebens and take-out did instead.
I used some of that liquid whole eggs for the quiche and it worked great!

What got put into the freezer last week....
* 1 lb. ground chicken breast
*  1+lb. of bottom round roast

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
* Petite Steaks
* Ham Steaks
* 1/2 bag of Stir-Fry Veggies
* 1 pie crust
* 1 bag of brussels sprouts

3 trips--Hubs picked up cheese at Walmart for me($7.21), 1 trip to P and R for $60.28 and $9.98 spent at the local Sursave Market had me spending $77.47 this past week and brings my May Total spending on food to $307.43.

I am at $2.10 earned in Ibotta rebates in May after Saturday's trip to Rite-Aid.

My savings percentage last week was 53.46%(without Rite-Aid trips)for May and the  monthly savings total comes in at 41.96%(w/out R-A).  Not too bad and just like the old days savings totals because of the Amish Outlet and P and R Discounters trips.

I have 13 more food shopping/spending days in May.

Leftovers going into this week........chicken w/Korean sauce, 1 ham steak, quiche, some roasted chicken.

I have fresh produce of lettuces, celery, carrots, onions, 1 tomato, broccoli to use this week.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Fend for Yourself
2. Monday--Beef and Broccoli, Rice
3. Tuesday--Stuffed Shells, Salad
4. Wednesday--Chicken Pot Pie
5. Thursday--Leftovers or FFY
6. Friday--Breakfast for Dinner
7. Saturday--Rigatoni  w/Meat Sauce, Squash and Onions

What needs buying for this menu?  Nothing that I can think of.  But if I find a deal on something I will definitely pick it up!

What's left on my master list of meals we can make from what's here...........
*Shrimp Tempura
*Kielbasa sandwiches
*Tuna Casserole
*Chili Dogs, Beans
*Roasted Chicken
*Chicken and Dumplings
*Shrimp Ravioli
*Cheese Ravioli
*Hungarian Goulash
*Spaghetti and Meatballs
*Haddock Fish Dinner  new
*Chicken Tenders  new

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  

Sluggy

10 comments:

  1. Yes, I think we will be eating more fish/shrimp/chicken this winter. Or having beef as an accent. I did buy steaks for Friday for our BBQ with Mom but they were about the same as they always are, still an expensive treat but zero eating out these days so ultimately it will even out I hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. OUr m eat has really gone up also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought steaks for about the same price as ground chuck was last week. WTH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Kroger had ground beef for $3.33/lb. for the 80/20 when I went on Sunday. I picked up 2 3lb packs for the freezer as there was limit 2. They also had chicken breasts for 1.99/lb.. so I picked up a pack of those too. Not really a need right now but trying to be proactive. Everything is sky high in price these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. we often by a BBQ chicken here for$10. Once I break it down it makes several meals & sandwiches - I'm sure it works out cheaper than buying a chicken and cooking myself, plus it tastes better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The big deal was the 4# of mozzarella for $5.99 due to a farmer dairy glut. They made sure the food shelves were very well stocked too. I think this is the weekend to try your baked bean recipe. Should be a treat if I don't screw it up, with hot dogs and burgers on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup. Same here. Someone posted a picture on facebook of our local store with those near same prices. Looks like chicken or go vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't done big shopping lately at all, so no deals to report...

    ReplyDelete
  9. $.99 baby bella mushrooms at Aldi so I bought 8 packs. I’ve already made Hungarian mushroom soup and baked pasta with tofu and mushrooms. The rest should be fine next week if I store them in paper bags.

    We also picked up tuna for mother in law’s cat. She had already picked up the limit of 4 cans and he needs it for his medicine twice a day. We’ve started taking separate carts since the limits are so low on certain items. One box of Kleenex is not enough during allergy season. I’m super snotty in the morning. 😁
    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We fortunately decided to buy 1/2 beef and whole hog right before the meat crisis. We were able to support our local farmer and butcher. $2.99 per pound for beef and $1.96 per pound for pork (including smoking of ham and bacon).

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.