Monday, January 27, 2020

This Week on the Dining Table


The "Would You Eat These?" Edition................


We were somewhere in Louisiana on the way to the wedding town when I spied these in a convenience store at a gas stop.  They looked like "homemade" pork rinds(they also have bbq flavor)from a very small local concern.  The rinds were massive compared to the little things you find up North here from the commercial/industrial food companies that carry them.

Moving On....
Onward to the meal planning-two weeks worth!

This is what was planned for last week.......

1. Sunday--Tacos or Taco Salad(I'll have my second pork tenderloin from last Friday)
2. Monday--Butternut Squash Ravioli, Roasted Carrots
3. Tuesday--Birthday!!! I don't cook!
4. Wednesday--Fish(type TBD), Veggie(TBD)
5. Thursday--Chicken and Dumplings
6. Friday--Chicken Broccoli Casserole
7. Saturday--Leftovers

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Tacos or Taco Salad(I had my second pork tenderloin from last Friday)
2. Monday--Fend for Yourself
3. Tuesday--Birthday-Steak, Salad, Baked Tater
4. Wednesday--Breakfast for Dinner(French Toast, Bacon)
5. Thursday--Chicken Marsala, Roasted Rainbow Carrots
6. Friday--Beer Brats on Rolls, Baked Beans
7. Saturday--Chicken and Dumplings

Last week saw 5 nights of home cooked dinners, 1 nights of leftovers/FFY, and 1 nights of Eating Out/Take-Out. 
3 of my meals didn't happen(ravioli, casserole and fish)but other meals did(brats, Marsala, breakfast). Those 3 meals move to this week and we'll see what actually happens next time. lolz

What got put into the freezer last week....
* Nothing

What got taken out of the freezer and used.....
*  2 packages of chicken breast
* 1 package of beer brats

1 small trip to Weis($10.06), a Big Lots trip($25.66)and a trip to Aldi($22.96) brought the weekly spending to $58.68 and my January spending on food to $142.86.

My savings percentage last week was 62.81%(without Rite-Aid trips)and January's monthly savings total comes in at 58.25%(w/out R-A).  

I have 4 more food shopping/spending days in January but I probably won't spend anymore else on this month.

Leftovers going into this week.....Taco Meat, Chicken and Dumplings, Chicken Marsala, Baked Beans.

Here is this week's "food plan".....
1. Sunday--Pizza
2. Monday--Haddock, Fries, Coleslaw
3. Tuesday--Chicken Caesar Salad
4. Wednesday--Leftovers
5. Thursday--Butternut Squash Ravioli, Salad
6. Friday--Chicken Broccoli Casserole
7. Saturday--Pork Chops, Green Beans(Hubs is cooking)

What needs buying for this menu? If my romaine lettuce is still ok then nothing.  If it's gone South then romaine.
Other than the Chicken and Dumplings none of the leftovers from this week is enough for a full meal so all that will be lunch "fodder". ;-)

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?  Weis(PMITA)Markets has been pretty "eh" the last few weeks other than finding instant discount stickers on meat items(and I've only bought a few of those).

Sluggy

10 comments:

  1. Your weekly menu sounds great. What is on the menu for me? Pasta and Salad for dinner, and chickpea curry stew for lunch. Gonna search for easy varied meals with minimal ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would buy a bag and send them to George Bush, is he still alive?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in the South, and have never seen pork rinds that large. I do not eat pork rinds. I had a friend who ate them to loose weight. ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband would definitely eat those pork rinds!!! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of pork rinds, tbh. Trying to use up odds and ends this week. Made a sweet potato casserole with stuff I bought at Christmas but never got around to baking. Small lasagna, finishing a box of noodles, container of cottage cheese and two(!!!) open jars of sauce in the fridge. Sliders using some dinner rolls, lingering Swiss cheese and some roast beef. Also planning a pot roast dinner and making a beef vegetable soup with leftovers and using up veg on hand. Trying to avoid waste. I had to toss a large package of ground beef that somehow got punctured in the fridge and went bad. Painful. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chicharones and I bet they were great.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  7. In Mexico you can buy what looks like a whole sheet of pork rind. Like the whole side of a pig :) I don't care for the plain ones but put a little BBQ on it and I am in! Plain ones are good dipped in ranch dip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the pork rinds! One of my favorite snacks, pork rinds and guacamole! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a fan of pork rinds. Our menu didn't go too bad. Bill did end up getting fast food for the kids on Saturday as I was sick and forgot to lay out the chicken for our Chinese New Year dinner of orange chicken. Oh well, it will move to this Saturday. LOL. With Bill and I both being sick I am surprised that we have been able to stick with our plan but glad that we are able to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still have the never ending pasta salad bowl. Pizza is on the menu for this week but I’ll make my husband eat more pasta salad first! Pizza dough is better anyway if I refrigerate for a day or two.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.