Friday, June 28, 2019

Frugal Friday......the June 28th Edition

Not a lot of frugalness happened at Chez Sluggy this past week.
No Weis freebie because we weren't anywhere near a Weis(PMITA)Markets last Friday.
Here are the few wins we had............

*  I booked our motel in NH through Booking dotcom and got a "genuis" secret discount price.  The motel is old and surely has seen better days but we were there just to sleep so it worked out fine.  I've booked other lodgings through them, including a great one on the Outer Banks of NC so they do have a wide range of lodgings choices if you are more "high maintenance" than we are.  ;-)


For the place in NH I paid $407.12 w/taxes for 5 nights, which came out to $81.42 per night.
We did have to also pay a $5 per person day pass for PorcFest since we didn't stay at the campground so another $40 makes it $447.12 for lodgings on this trip.
The motel rooms at the campground were $120 per night(plus taxes)and from what folks said on par with the motel we stayed at, so even with the cost of the day pass we saved $206.88 staying in town.


If anyone wants to try making reservations through Booking dotcom if you book and stay, using this link, we'll both earn a $25 reward(as a credit on the cc you use to book the stay).

https://www.booking.com/s/52_6/arcure57


*  I found money!


A penny on a picnic table under one of the tents at Porcfest.

And then on Sunday coming home.............


A dime on the floor of the diner we stopped to have lunch/dinner at.


*  We were in that particular diner to meet a fellow blogger I've never met in real life, Carol.


Being a frugalista herself she brought along a coupon to use.  Well played Carol, well played.....

*  A trip to the Bread Outlet happened on Monday. $10.28 OOP for 5 packages of bread items and 6 boxes of cookies and doughnuts regular retail of  $40.81.



*  I did a little grocery buying on vacation............

Just a few stockpile items bought at Reny's and Marden's while in Maine at prices that were lower than I pay for this sort of thing here in PA.


*  We took food and snacks with us to New Hampshire.  We only ate out for dinner in Maine on Monday(my cousin paid for that), a lunch on the way to New Hampshire on Tuesday, a lunch out in Littleton, NH on Thursday, some pastries on Saturday we took to the campground, breakfast in Whitefield NH on Sunday morning and stopping at the diner to see Carol later that day.  The motel furnished a VERY sparse breakfast each morning.
I bought various food gift cards but we didn't get to use any of those.

All other food we bought at the grocery store or food we brought from home,including some Hormel Compleats we still had in the stockpile thanks to Ex-College Boy.

These breakfast scrambles were nasty....no doubt about that!!!


But we've had some that were ok.......


Hubs ate a Chicken Alfredo w/Pasta one that he liked and we've had a Manicotti in Sauce type that's not bad at all.  We also took these Pulled Chicken in BBQ Sauce(bought some rolls to make sandwiches)and Chicken Breast w/Stuffing and ate them without a problem.  The only thing weird about the stuffing was it has diced up water chestnuts in it(I guess that's cheaper than putting celery into it and gives it some crunch).
If it was just me, I would have bought a loaf of bread and some cold cuts and just eaten a sandwich every meal but Hubs, if you've read my recent post about Living with a Retired Spouse 24/7, won't eat sandwiches but on rare occasions.  I didn't want him blowing even more cash on meals than we did so taking these along kept him happy and kept our budget in check.  We had them and they needed to be used up so why not?

*  We came home to lots of leftovers that Ex-College Boy didn't eat while we were away.  I was able to salvage a hunk of corned beef by cutting it up into bits and adding diced onion and potatoes and making corned beef hash.  A couple of eggs over easy and that was dinner on Monday night.
We had a whole large pan of stuffed shells in neat sauce leftover too.  We ate on that, along with a Caesar salad from romaine lettuce that was still ok on Tuesday and then I bagged the rest of the stuffed shells and put them into the chest freezer to use next month. 

That's about it from here.


What frugal wins did y'all have this week?
Let us here all about it!

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Good info. Lucky me I recently found your website by chance
    (stumbleupon). I have book-marked it for later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bought donuts without me....sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That was a great price for the hotel! I thought I got a good price for 2 nights at a Hilton. I will try your booking site next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I simply couldn't go away your web site prior to suggesting that I extremely enjoyed the standard information an individual provide on your visitors?

    Is gonna be again steadily to check out new posts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found an outdoor patio table on clearance at Aldi for $20 this morning. My old one tipped over and shattered during a storm so I’ve been waiting for summer sales. Also stocked up on their cheap stuff while on that side of town.

    Jen G.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.