Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Being Generous While Staying Frugal

Kim and I had a conversation this past weekend.  She accused me of being generous even though I see myself as frugal and sometimes downright cheap.
Well, I do love to give gifts but I don't do "over the top" gifting.  I am frugal in that realm as in most other aspects of my life.

So when Kim and her Sissie surprised me for my 60th Birthday in January by coming here I knew I had to send them each a box of goodies when their Birthday rolled around at the end of March.  It wouldn't be as thrilling as a surprise visit but I thought I could brighten their birthdays a bit.

So I set about compiling them each a box of goodies tailored to each of their personalities while keeping an eye on the money because, well, that's how I roll.........

Since I knew I had to mail these goodies I took that cost into consideration.  Mailing stuff has gotten quite expensive if you haven't mailed anything in awhile!  My go-to box is the Priority Regional Rate A Box--you can cram quite a bit into it but the most I've had to pay to mail one of these is approx. $14(and that is clear across to the West Coast).  Regional Rate boxes may save you money if you ship Priority Mail a lot, so check them out.

First Sissie's box...........


I included a few personal grooming/toiletries in her box.....toothpaste, a nice shampoo and Neutrogena facial soap.  These things came from my Rite-Aid stash so nothing OOP.
Then two cat themed items-a tote/grocery bag and a birthday card. 
I picked up a grocery bag for each of them at JoAnn's in February as I had a coupon so they cost me less.
Sissie's bag says, "One Cat Short of Crazy". hehehe  The birthday card was also cat themed and from Dollar Tree.
The strawberry Lindt Truffles came from Rite-Aid so free.
Sissie is a coffee drinker(big time)so I pulled this nice Pfaltzgraff mug out of my stash for her......


I had gotten this mug plus another one I have since gifted to my eldest son(which is beer related)at Macy's during their Christmas sales 2 years ago.  After my $10 off any thing in the store Coupon both mugs cost me something like $1(mostly sales tax).  It was just waiting for the right person to give it to and Sissie became my victim du jour.  8-)

I also enclosed a pair of socks I found online that were perfect for Sissie!
The bottom of one sock says.......
"If You Can Read This"
and the other.....
"Bring Me A Glass of Wine"
lolz
These were the priciest item I sent but well, she is worth it....

Onward to Kim's Box..........



She's got the bigger sweet tooth of the two so she got a bag of Strawberry Lindt Truffles(that were free after sale/Q)but in addition, I put a small heart-shaped box of Russell Stover chocolates in(bought at 75% off after Valentine's Day).
Her bag from JoAnn's had a sewing theme.

Sew perfect for her.....lolz

Kim's toiletries were 2 boxes of root touch-up hair color(gotten free after sales/Bonus Cash/Qs at Rite-Aid)and a blush/shader palette(also free from Rite-Aid).  This one is a Cover Girl variety so she could try a different brand than I gave her before.
She showed the card I sent on her blog already so you know it's appropriately snarky. Her card came from Dollar Tree as well.
The snarky note cards were found at Ollie's(Good Stuff Cheap!)in early March.
I also enclosed a bag of Nestle's baking chocolate(75% off at Ollie's in February)since she is always destroying her kitchen by baking.  ;-)

The best thing is I put a loose penny in Kim's box(see it in the photo above?).  Well I don't think she noticed/found it since she hasn't said anything about it yet.  I thought that would be the first thing she'd mention when we talked on the phone......she found a penny!! lolz

Altogether I spent under $34 OOP on theses birthday boxes.
And the shipping was over 50% of that cost!

My only regret is that I couldn't mail these boxes to show up the day before their birthday and I had to give them each a heads up that they were coming so it wasn't a surprise.
But I did write on the envelope of each card that they were NOT to open anything until their actual birthday, under penalty of death!  One of them needed threatening......can you guess who??  *snort*


So call me cheap if you want for spending so little and then blogging about it.
Not everyone "gets" being frugal.

I just wouldn't be "Sluggy" if I didn't stick to a budget(or at least try to). ;-)



Sluggy


9 comments:

  1. That is where that penny came from! James helped me open the box and he said penny I did not notice he took it out of the box, but then like all good cheap skates I took it from him when e lost interest. It was a lovely fun box and mailing is getting outrageous,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get it! Good job! and I'll bet they absolutely loved seeing all the goodies you sent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gifts are gifts. How much would it cost to hire someone
    (prepacked gift boxes) to put that kind of a spread together? Time is of great value!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love a gift like that. You put thought into who you were giving them to. You don't need to break the bank to be generous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it is cheap at all - I truly, honestly prefer getting gifts that are homemade and/or people got very inexpensively. I don't want anyone spending a lot of money on me and it means more to me that they really thought things out (like you did) to make sure I would like it. A god friend of mine got me a really nice cross-stitch book at the thrift store and gave it to me for my birthday and it is one of the gifts I love and use the most - I'm HAPPY she got it for a couple of dollars instead of the $30 it would have cost new - that would have made me feel bad!!!! Good for you!!!

    Sue L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My kids have come to appreciate how I shop for gifts. They think it shows more thought. They also like that we're not out running about to shop during the holidays. Of course, I'm the mean mother who gives things like favorite shampoos and toothpaste for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. Also, I have those socks. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing wrong with being frugal! I like getting the most bang out of my buck and it reflects in that I am able to give much nicer gifts. I'm also with Sue in that I don't like anyone spending a lot of money on me. I appreciate the effort of a well thought (and inexpensive!) gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two very lovely gifts filled generously with thoughtfulness. Teddie

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.