Monday, March 4, 2019

This Week on the Dining Table

The "WTF?  It wasn't me!" Edition.........

At least once or twice a week here, the local news has a report about a car driving into a building.....a business, a house, same difference.  A few years ago I had gone to my Rite-Aid about 10 minutes after a customer's car plowed into the building on the other side/front of the store.  A friend/worker was standing at the register when it happened and the racks of cigarettes against the window/wall fell on him.(He was fine, just a little shook up.)
So it was NO surprise when I went up to Rite-Aid last week and saw this.......


The side of the building clearly had been hit, by a blue car due to the paint marks left on the lower part of the wall.  I don't usually park on this side so no, it was not me.  Besides my car isn't blue. lolz
I am surprised that this incident never made it onto the local newscast.  I guess there were other building/car accidents that did more damage that week.

Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

This is what was planned--

1. Sunday--Korean Beef BBQ, stir-fry Broccoli, Ramen Noodles
2. Monday--Dirty Rice w/Andouille Sausage and Red Beans
3. Tuesday--Lobster Ravioli in Alfredo Sauce, Tossed Salad
4. Wednesday--Pasta w/Turkey Italian Sausage Sauce
5. Thursday--Pork Chops, Green Beans, Sweet Potato Fries
6. Friday--Assorted Leftovers
7. Saturday--Taco Con Queso Casserole

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Korean Beef BBQ, stir-fry Broccoli, Ramen Noodles
2. Monday--Dirty Rice w/Andouille Sausage and Red Beans
3. Tuesday--Lobster Ravioli in Alfredo Sauce, Tossed Salad
4. Wednesday--Lasagna Hamburger Helper, Green Beans
5. Thursday--Tempura Shrimp, Crab Cakes, Cole Slaw, Baked Sweet Potato Fries
6. Friday--Rigatoni w/Mushroom Pasta Sauce
7. Saturday--Leftovers

Last week saw 6 nights of home cooked dinners, 1 nights of leftovers/fend for yourself, 0 nights of Eating Out/Take-Out. 
Everything as planned until Tuesday then the wheels fell off the bus. lolz
I had fresh mushrooms to use up and found a hunk of ground beef and some shrimp in the freezer that were older than the pork chops and Italian turkey sausage I planned to defrost and use.  By Saturday we had lots of leftovers so no taco casserole that night.  Everything planned and not used will move to this coming week's plan(unless I feel like cooking something else lol).

What got put into the freezer last week.....
*  1 lb ground Chicken
*  1.5 lbs raw Shrimp(meat discount sticker deal at Weis)
*  2 bags of Perdue Chicken strips

What got taken out of the freezer and used last week.......
* A small London Broil(for Korean BBQ Beef)
*  Frozen Broccoli
*  Andouille Sausage(for Dirty Rice/Beans)
*  3 packs Lobster Ravioli
*  Green Beans
*  small "hunk" of Ground Beef
*  half a bag of  raw Shrimp
*  4 handmade Crab cakes

 Lots of little grocery trips..... smallish trips to Weis($15.79), a trip to Ollie's($4.01), a trip to Big Lots($9.37)brought the weekly food spending to $29.17 and brought the February monthly grand total to $348.86.
Two trips to Weis at the end of the week in March brought the March monthly total to $66.70 so far.

My savings percentage last week(March)was 47.02%(without Rite-Aid trips)and March's monthly savings total comes to 47.02%(w/out R-A).  

I have 27 more spending days in the month.

Leftovers going into this week....Dirty Rice w/Sausage and Beans, Korean Beef BBQ Stir-fry w/Ramen, Rigatoni w/Mushroom pasta sauce.

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--Pork Chops, Green Beans, Mushroom Risotto 
2. Monday--Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
3. Tuesday--Taco Chicken Casserole, a Veggie TBD
4. Wednesday--Corned Beef, Cabbage, Carrots, Taters
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Chicken Strips, Mac and Cheese, Tossed Salad
7. Saturday--Leftovers

This week will see 5 new meals cooked, 2 nights of leftovers/FFY, and 0 nights of Take-Out/Eating Out.
I am doing the Corned Beef this week since Hubs and I won't be home on St. Pat's day week.  The kids will have Corned Beef dinner leftovers they can heat up or remake to eat then.
Lots of cooking but hopefully the 2 nights of leftovers will use up most everything so I don't have to worry while we are gone that the kids let food rot(since they don't generally eat leftovers).

What needs buying for this menu? Cabbage and milk basically.  I'll get some free yogurts(w/sale and Qs) and a head of cabbage before Thursday's ad change and then the Weis freebie and some cheap(w/sale and coupons)Birds Eye chicken dinner kits on Friday-easy kid's food(just add chicken).  Mostly I'll leave them some cash for buying what they need/want while we are gone and hopefully they won't just go buy pizzas with it. lolz

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week? 

Sluggy  

6 comments:

  1. I *almost drove through the front of a store when I was a new driver. Forgot to put it in reverse. Lol. Caught myself in time!

    Last week went off the rails completely. Kids school had no power Monday so they were home, I worked some long days and then we had a birthday party Friday. I had planned food for the kidskto heat up while I was at work but hubby made frozen pizza and bought chicken from Walmart instead😡 So not sure why I bothered. Sigh.

    Made a roast and veggies yesterday and will have leftovers today. Stuffed pork chops, and fajitas are on the menu but haven't planned the whole week yet. Not feeling too inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course you know that if you hadn't planned stuff for the kids to heat up hubby wouldn't have bought chicken and pizza and you'd be blamed. lolz

      Delete
    2. Wait a minute. Have you been peeking in my windows??? Lol! That is exactly what would have happened!

      Delete
  2. If the wheels don't fall off the menu bus here, I don't consider it a week fully lived. (Or at least a week that is fully involved and grabs me by the throat then swallows me whole)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meal planning major hiccup. My barley soup was a bust. I put too much Worcestershire sauce in it, not enough beef stock flavor and WAY too much barley. I guess dinner this week will be eggs, cheese and avocado burrito. Lunch will be turkey, quinoa with bell peppers. Breakfast will be PB sandwiches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about the story of the woman who spied money in a Mcd's drive up and hit the pole while she tried to open the door and snatch the dime? Was that you?....?

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.