Monday, October 23, 2017

This Week on the Dining Table

The "I Made a New Recipe" Edition--



I happened to catch "The Chew" last week on the day they were making a healthier version of Hungarian Goulash.  This one subs out some of the meat for mushrooms(portabella but I had crimminis) and sweet potatoes(fiber).
The recipe is HERE.  I had a big bag of sliced bell peppers(red/yellow/orange)in the frozen that needed using so this was a win/win. ;-)

Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week--

1. Sunday--Sweet Italian sausage sandwiches, baked beans
2. Monday--Homemade Clam and Corn Chowder, Rolls
3. Tuesday--Something with Mushrooms(Risotto?), Caesar Salad, leftover Garlic Bread(?)
4. Wednesday--Pork Tenderloin, Creamed Asiago Spinach
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Homemade Pizza, Salad
7. Saturday--Fend for Yourself

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Sweet Italian sausage sandwiches, Baked Beans
2. Monday--Homemade Clam and Corn Chowder, Rolls
3. Tuesday--Popcorn Shrimp, Creamed Asiago Spinach, Broccoli w/Cheese Sauce
4. Wednesday--Chicken Marsala w/Mushrooms, Farfelle pasta
5. Thursday--Hungarian Goulash over rice or noodles(diner's choice)
6. Friday--Pizza, Salad
7. Saturday--Leftovers/Fend for Yourself(I had Salad and 1 slice Pizza)

I got a discounted box of breaded popcorn shrimp and about 1 lb. of small sliced roast during last week's shopping so Shrimp and Goulash made it onto the menu during the week. 

Last week saw 6 nights of home cooked dinners, 1 night of leftovers and  0 nights of take-out.   I was on a roll with the cooking last week.


Last week's grocery spending at Weis and Shursave Markets came to $101.61.  That brings October's food spending to $372.45.  There are 8 more days in my shopping month.  I'll probably go over $400 at this point but not by much.  I do plan to buy some cleaning products, bread and lunch meat this week.

My savings percentages last week was 48.35% and the monthly savings so far ends up at 46.17%(without Rite-Aid trips added in).

Leftovers going into this week.......Clam Chowder, Chicken Marsala w/Mushrooms, 2 Rolls, 1 slice Pizza, Goulash.

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--Caesar Salad w/Chicken Strips
2. Monday--Tacos
3. Tuesday--Pork Chops, Harvard Beets, Garlic Mashed Potatoes
4. Wednesday--Leftovers
5. Thursday--Lasagna, Salad
6. Friday--? maybe Subs
7. Saturday--Leftovers or Fend For Yourself

This week will see 4 new meals cooked, 2 nights of leftovers and 1? nights of Take-Out/Eating-Out.
Leftovers carried forward into this week will be lunches for Hubs(and maybe me if I eat lunch).

What I need to buy for this menu? Just the Subs if we opt for that.  I've got everything else I need for this menu.  We are almost out of sandwich bread though and Daughter will need lunch meat for sandwiches.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

9 comments:

  1. How was the stew? a recipe review please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good. I haven't had goulash all that often so I'm really no judge tho. lolz
      The sweet potato was a nice addition(and a way to use up taters you need to use up). I liked the mushrooms over beef overload. Hubs had it over noodles, Daughter had it over rice and I had maybe 2 TB of rice with my helping(trying not to do a lot of carbs). Seriously you could eat this without a rice or noodle, it's that substantial. I used smoked paprika rather than sweet paprika(personal preference).
      We will make this again when the stars align.

      Delete
  2. Would really appreciate winning your bloggy box!

    merlinsfamily@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to put this comment on the giveaway post for it to be valid.

      Delete
  3. How did the refitted goulash taste and will you make it again?
    I have started creating a menu that is only a suggestion because I seem to stray from it more than I actually use it.
    Moon Drop grapes were the only deal here this week. I had never heard of them or tried them before and they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My menus are truly a guideline most weeks. I sub out due to finding a deal or I just don't want to eat/cook something. lolz

      For a review see CT MOM reply above. 8-)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing. This might make a really great option for when my vegetarian daughter, and California dude son (who can't afford good mushrooms) come at Christmas. I think even the carnivore hubs would tuck into the dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The goulash looks good! I just got a killer deal on a cast iron Dutch oven ($50 marked down to $15) and need to break it in. We had chicken, sauteed zucchini and mushroom tortellini (aldi clearance for a quarter!!) tonite. Tacos, breakfast casserole w/ ham asparagus and mushrooms, whatever my son wants on his birthday, popcorn chicken bowl, leftovers and a dinner out should finish out the week. I will probably make some kind of soup as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sluggy, this is Chris The goulash looks so good, I checked the recipe out and pinned it on my pinterest. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.