Saturday, September 2, 2017

To-Do List.....August Update

Let's take a look at how I did with my August To-Do List........


*  Pay Bills  DONE  Even though we were away when a few bills needed to be paid(or didn't have secure internet access to pay them online)everything got paid and on time.  I figured out what would come in while we were away and left the Daughter signed checks so she could pay those bills.  The sticky bill was College Boy's tuition.  There was a tight time frame when it had to be paid AND they don't let you pay via check/snail mail.  Luckily we were at Kim's house when that window opened up so I could do a bank transfer online there.



*  Enjoy my Trip  DONE  Let's just say I enjoyed the HELL out of my trip!!  There were a couple of bumpy "incidents" and one really bad day when I was sick but overall it was a fantastic trip. 8-)  And y'all will get a full report on it in the fullness of time.

*  Return from Trip(booooo!)  DONE(unfortunately)  We got home safe and sound on Aug. 15th.

*  Unpack from Trip DONE  Well the laundry part didn't take very long as we kept up on dirty laundry along the way(thanks to the B&B stay, Kim's house, one load at a motel in SD, and Sonya Ann's house).  I could have packed half as many clothes it turns out but going that long from home with changeable weather I didn't want to get caught short.  We really didn't bring much home in the way of souvenirs(ok, I got a load of t-shirts tho).  I bought very little alcohol(though Hubs bought TONS)and many "souvenirs" I bought were either food or Xmas gifts so those got put away easily.

*  Read 1, 2 Books  DONE  I took 4 books with me to read figuring I'd have plenty of time with all that riding in the car.  Well I didn't get nearly what I thought I'd get read because Hubs wanted to talk, or navigational help or the scenery was too nice not to watch. lolz
I also bought 3 books on the trip(I think it was 3?)(Hubs bought LOTS of books!!)and Kim gave me a book when we were leaving her house.  One of the books I bought at a thrift store I finished after the time we got home........


The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.  Highly recommend this one.  I never saw the film they made from it and I doubt it did the book justice.  I guess I'll have to see the movie now.

And this one.........


The Heart of Everything That Is-The Untold Story of Red Cloud, An American Legend by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin  

I started this book two months ago and it took me forever to finish.  Not because it was boring or dull but it was so meaty it took a while to 'digest' it all.
It was so neat reading it after I had been out West where Red Cloud lived his life and saw his homeland with my own eyes.

The authors did a very good job of keeping the reader engaged in this book.  It's very factual and events were taken from primary and secondary sources from that time in history and not just heresy and a bunch of half truths some writers use as "source" material.
Since it was historical tome,  a biographical account of Red Cloud's life against the backdrop of how Native Americans were ultimately slaughtered by the Federal Government almost to extinction, you can predict the ending and the tone of this volume.  But if you enjoy historical works and you'd like a POV other than the official one taught in all the school history books(something we sure need more of nowadays)of what was happening in the Western part of this country during the mid to late 19th century, do give this book a try.


*  Repair LA House  IN PROGRESS  Oh gosh, where to begin.  We are STILL trying to get flooring replaced in the house in Louisiana.  We did get the tenants out of it the end of June. 

 Since we aren't in the area there to deal with arranging for the work to get done we thought we'd work through Lowe's since we have them here and in LA.  Well, it's just been a cluster f*ck from beginning to end!  It's like the Lowe's down there doesn't want the money/business or something....one problem after another.  It's such a long saga that I can't even begin to recount it.  We had hoped to get these repairs done while on the road but we are still dealing with them but hope to wind this torturous episode up in October.

We've dealt with Lowe's in PA(they did our master bathroom renovation)but this one in LA?  Good gosh!!  They are just reinforcing our opinion of businesses and people in the state of Louisiana and how the whole state has this "Let the good times roll, let's not worry about getting stuff done" attitude that is famous in the party town of New Orleans.  My Daughter lived in LA for 3+ years, we have made extended trips to LA and it's just a whole cultural attitude that is ingrained in the way of life there.  It's fine if you are on vacation or not trying to get something accomplished(heck I grew up in the South and I know all about the whole different business climate down there)but LA is just a whole other ball of wax!
I am sorry if this offends anyone from Louisiana but it's just how Sluggy, who has lived in and visited various other regions of the country sees it.  You folks are in a class all on your own there.  We've met some awesome people there and I'd love to party with ya'll but on a day-to-day basis?, no thanks.

*  Can Veggies/Make Pickles  IN PROGRESS  We came home to  a bumper crop of cukes in the garden....I don't think the kids picked a single ONE while we were gone! lolz  So I've been making pickles until they are coming out of my ears!  We've sliced and eaten them fresh too in vinegar and/or in salads.
As for the canning......we tried to get tomatoes a couple of weeks back but the mater crop up here has been slow getting ripened and is weeks behind this year.  I have all my jars and bands prepped and purchased new lids this past week.  Tuesday is D-Day for picking tomatoes at the farm field if the rain holds off.  By next weekend I hope to be fully stocked on canned tomatoes of various forms.

*  Inventory Fridge/Freezer  DONE  I jumped right on this chore the week we got home.  As Daughter really hadn't done any meal planning beyond the day we arrived home(plus having tv dinners for a couple of days after that)I really needed to see what she had used up and what was left.  Daughter did a good job of using what was here, mostly because she has an aversion to grocery stores and shopping.  I knew she'd keep under whatever I left her in cash to spend on groceries while we were gone as long as she didn't spend it all to get take-out pizza and Chinese food. lolz


So that's it for my short August To-Do List.  No fails this month but then again, it was a light-ish
chore list.

Did you get things done in August?  Is there anything you need to work on in September that you are dreading?  I have a few things in that realm for my September list. ;-)

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Lowes here never did the work I had to pay for up front! They "decided" they would give me back my money, the whole $5K, like they could justify keeping it.

    Those both sound like good books, ones I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought when you first talked about your daughter moving back home that all your economy would rub off on her. It seems it has if she used up what you have first. Kudos! August just sped by and I did a lot of fun things but not as many as I wanted, and some productive but not as many as I should have-but room in September still, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos to you on getting your August to do list done. I need to do a pantry inventory and figure out what meals I can make. It's on my to do list this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I am just trying to keep my head above water! Literally.....

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.