Monday, September 25, 2017

This Week on the Dining Table

The "There is Handicapped and Then There is 'Handicapped' " Edition--



Here is another clueless person parking in a none parking spot at a Walmart in WV.  Yellow cross marks are NOT a parking space.....it is the space BETWEEN the parking spaces.
Why is this so hard to understand?
Heck next thing you know these folks will be just pulling their cars up to the doors onto the sidewalk and leaving them there. lolz

Moving On....

Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week--

1. Sunday--Leftovers(or Eating-Out while on the road)
2. Monday--Leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad
3. Tuesday--Leftover Beef Pie
4. Wednesday--Leftover Haluski
5. Thursday--Leftover Ham, Sugar Snap Peas
6. Friday--Leftovers if still available or ?
7. Saturday--Leftovers if still available or ?

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--We ate a late lunch on the road and no dinner
2. Monday--Leftover Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad
3. Tuesday--Leftover Beef Pie
4. Wednesday--Leftover Ham, Potato Salad, Sauteed Cabbage
5. Thursday--Fish, Glazed Carrots, Cheddar Biscuits(Hubs cooked!!)
6. Friday--Fend for Yourself(I had a pbj)
7. Saturday--Pork Tenderloin, Cauliflower in cheese sauce

Last week saw 3 nights of home cooked dinners(or mostly home cooked), 3 nights of leftovers, 1 night of eating-out(for me and Hubs)and 0 nights of Take-Out.  

When I made Halushki the week before, it only used up half a huge head of cabbage.  So I sauteed the other half with onions and added some bacon for a side last week.

I made 1 trip to Weis Markets, 1 trip to the Shursave Market  and with what I bought in VA last week, it brought the weekly food spending to $68.67 last week, and bringing food spending in September to $276.99 so far.  I have $73.01 left to stay under $350 spent for the month on food and 6 days left in the month.  I should stay under that budgeted amount unless I find some pork butts to smoke.  ;-) 

My savings percentages last week and for the month to-date?   Last week's percentage was 57.36% and the monthly ends up at 48.72% as well(without Rite-Aid trips added in). 

Leftovers going into this week.......a hunk of baked ham, Halushki, Potato Salad, Sauteed Cabbage, Pork Tenderloin, Cauliflower in Sauce, Beef Pie.

Here is this week's "food plan".....

1. Sunday--Roasted Chicken with Roasted Veggies
2. Monday--Tuna Noodles Casserole, leftover Cabbage
3. Tuesday--Beef and Broccoli over Rice
4. Wednesday--Something with Ham, Roasted Asparagus
5. Thursday--Mac and Cheese w/Ham, Sugar Snap Peas
6. Friday--Leftover Pork Tenderloin, Leftover Cauliflower
7. Saturday--?

This week will see 5 new meals cooked, 1-2 nights of leftovers and ? nights of Take-Out/Eating-Out.
I'll be trying to find ways to use up that ham hunk this week.  I am still clueless about what to serve on Saturday and am hoping inspiration hits between now and then. lolz

What I need to buy for this menu?  Nothing really as I have all the ingredients I need to make this lot.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

10 comments:

  1. Leftover ham: do you like deviled ham sandwiches? grind up the ham in a processor, add pickle relish, black pepper and mayo-done. Spread on bread and cut into halves or spread on an English muffin, add a slice or tomato, top with cheese and pop under the broiler until melted (toaster oven time). Make beanies and weanies with ham cubes, add ham cubes to cold pasta salad, omelettes, crockpot of white (or other) beans with ham, onions, add greens if desired (but frightfully NOT soup weather up here at present)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had to look up a recipe for Halushki as it sounded Polish and my daughter is half Polish (not my half :) and it sounds delicious! She loves pierogies but that's about the only Polish dish we've made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hold on! The lines for handicap parking at blue, not yellow. I found out I had been parking in the blue lines. The actual parking space at a church had me parking against a brick wall, so I just parked on the lines. It appeared there was no room again the brick wall. It was strange because the car place was tiny and there was a great swath of blue lines. I was shocked to find out I had parked in the wrong space. I had to laugh at myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looked up and tried a recipe for Haluski. Yummy! I even had leftovers and had them for dinner last night. I love new recipes to add to my collection. Enjoy your menu plans as it helps give me inspiration for the week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would strongly suggest a Ham Puff https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ham-and-cheese-puff
    for using some of the ham hunk. It is basically a strata with ham, onions, and Monterey Jack cheese, but it was seriously delicious. I reduced the recipe and only made about 1/8 of it for two servings (ample servings)
    Supposedly you make it with a nice speciality bread, right, I used 3
    slices of garden variety whole wheat bread and it was still delicious and we are putting this in our food rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my favorite meals is chopped ham in macncheese, served with field peas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay I am the drunk that parks like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our favorite leftover ham recipe has just five ingredients: ham, bow tie pasta, spinach, red peppers, and a container of sundries tomato cheese spread (other flavors are good too - we just prefer the sundries tomato).

    Dice 2 cups leftover ham; set aside. Boil pasta in a large pot with lots of water. While pasta is cooking, wash and chop spinach (we usually use a bag of baby spinach) and place in colander; cut 2 red peppers into thin strips and place on top of spinach. When pasta is cooked pour it and cooking water over the spinach and peppers - water and hot pasta will “cook” the spinach and make the pepper strips crisp-tender. Put pasta, spinach and peppers back into the cooking pot, add diced ham, and then toss with cheese spread. We serve with garlic bread. I’ve made it look complicated, but it’s really a very easy, very tasty dish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another thought for that l/o ham: Marcia Adam's ham loaf (we skip the sauce, found it to be too sweet). Nice pan fried the next day, a la Spam, with eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen people parked up on tne entrance "ramp" at tne local WalMart. They throw on their flashers. One time the car was there, I went in and got a few items, waited in the line for the two checkout lanes that were actually open, and came out to see the car still parked there!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.