Sunday, August 20, 2017

College Boy's Summer Savings

I feared for the worst when Hubs and I took off a month ago for our Road Trip.
Feared for College Boy's progress toward financial/saving success.
If you remember, CB has only recently taken baby steps toward handling money well, and we had a sit-down heart to heart talk with him over money and how things would work this Summer.
That post is HERE.

I figured that once we left on our vacation all his good intentions would fly out the window and he'd stop putting his paychecks away to save.

But my fears were for naught it turns out!
College Boy didn't regress back into his spendthrift ways when I wasn't there to oversee his saving progress.

In fact, he withdrew his pay from that stupid "pay debit card" his employer loads up with his paycheck each week while we were away and had tucked the cash into an envelope in my computer desk awaiting my return and me putting this all in the bank..........



He was almost up to $1,100 saved by the time we returned!

This past week's check was spent on a new cell phone(and service)and a new keyboard for the computer he bought earlier this Summer(he hadn't bought a keyboard with it and was using an old one we had which shit the bed recently).
He'll get two more paychecks(one before leaving and the other once he is back at school)before ending his Summer employment which should get him close to his $1,500 goal.($2,100 total with $600 being spent on a planned purchase of a new computer, so $1,500 in cash.)

And that's even with his hours being cut at his job for a couple of weeks.

It's noticeable this Summer that he's being more thoughtful with his spending, even when I wasn't home to ride him about it. lolz

Now to see if he can hold it together when he gets back to school and doesn't fall off the spending rails when confronted with all the bad, bad temptations living away from home in his first apartment situation will present.

It's nice to see your kids "grow" up. 8-)

Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. Oh that is great to hear, Sluggy. Glad he did so well while you and your hubby were away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like he is indeed growing up as far as financial responsibility. Maybe the new situation with the grown up apartment life will help him...unless he has spendthrift friends sidetrack him. Congratulations for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome progress by college boy! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm guessing if summer didn't do in his plan, a semester at college won't either.Good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to college boy! He did great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for him! My son is 37 and still spends as if there's no tomorrow. Maybe he knows something I don't.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.