Monday, November 7, 2016

This Week on the Dining Table

The "Ready or Not, Christmas is Coming!" Edition--
While in KMart last week picking up free after gift card washcloths and drinks I took a wander through their Christmas aisles to see what new crap was available for the Holidays.
I am all for secular folks celebrating Christmas in a non-religious way, but have we run off the rails with it?  Outside and under tree decorations included hedgehogs, foxes, t-rex dinosaurs! and this cute little flamingo dressed as an elf.  At least there was no pig decoration this year......


Moving on......
Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week--

1. Sunday--Pork Barbecue on Rolls, Cole Slaw
2. Monday--Crockpot Salisbury Steak with Mushroom/Onion Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
3. Tuesday--Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Baked Chicken Thighs, Roasted Potatoes and Acorn Squash
5. Thursday--Clam Corn Chowder, TBA
6. Friday--Teriyaki Flank Steak with Stir-Fry Veggies(leftover taters for BF)
7. Saturday--Leftovers

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Pork Barbecue on Rolls, Cole Slaw
2. Monday--Leftover Kielbasa with Pierogies(new)
3. Tuesday--Crockpot Salisbury Steak with Mushroom/Onion Gravy, Mashed Potatoes, Green Beans
4. Wednesday--Baked Chicken Thighs, Roasted Potatoes and Acorn Squash
5. Thursday--Leftovers(I had Pork Barbecue)
6. Friday--More Leftovers or Chicken Soup
7. Saturday--Primo Hoagies

6 meals cooked at home, 2-3 of them a night of leftovers, and 1 night of Take-Out.
Alll but 2 meals didn't happen-the Teriyaki steak and the clam chowder.  The daughter bought pierogies on Tuesday so we had those with leftover Kielbasi on Halloween.

Folks were fighting off colds later in the week here so it was leftovers or a big pot of chicken soup for dinners at the end of the week.
By Saturday we could all use a treat so we splurged and got Primo Hoagies(a chain out of Philly).  It was tasty but at $10 for a sub it won't be happening often here!

I roasted 2 of those volunteer acorn squash but no one liked it much.  I'll put the leftover(mashed up)into pancakes or something this week.

I also made Salisbury Steaks in the crockpot last week.  I have never made Salisbury Steak in all my 34 years of housekeeping/cooking.  It wasn't hard really as it's just a glorified hamburger. lolz


As for the grocery spending.....3 trips to Weis and 1 trip to the Shursave market brought my weekly spending to $148.81 and my November food spending Total so far to $148.81.
Hot damn!  I know it's high for so soon in the month but I am trying to get to $200 spent at Shursave before the 12th so I get that gift certificate offer.  I'll spend it anyway this month so spend it sooner rather than later and get the reward.  Plus some of this spent last week will come off my food bill as I picked up items for a Food Bank donation in these 4 trips.

So far, so good in my savings percentages in November at this point.  This week the savings rate average was over the top at 56.87%.

Leftovers going into this week.......pizza, barbecue, chicken thighs, salisbury steak, mashed potatoes.
Some of this will be eaten for lunches and some for dinner on Leftover Days.  Any leftover barbecue after this coming week will be put into the freezer for later.

Here is this week's "food plan".

1. Sunday--Meatloaf, Broccoli, Au Gratin Taters
2. Monday--Chicken Parmesan, Corn Casserole
3. Tuesday--Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad
5. Thursday--Leftovers
6. Friday--Teriyaki Flank Steak with Stir-Fry Veggies(leftover taters for BF), Rice
7. Saturday--Leftovers

This week will see 4 new meals cooked and 0 nights of Take-Out and 3 nights of Leftovers.

What I need to buy for this menu?  Not a thing.

What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?


Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I do my version of Salisbury steak about 3-4 times a year, when I am trying to cook from the freezer and so don't intentionally have hamburger buns. Mine are just hamburger patties with sauteed mushrooms and onions in gravy. I love them, and the others tolerate them, but they get mashed potatoes out of the deal, which is a favorite for DD2 and DH. Somuch of the new Christmas stuff is just gimmicky point in time crap, isn't it? Give me old fashion bells and balls. I do really like the coffee house addition I got a few years ago for my Christmas village, so I guess that is not so traditional. It isn't a Victorian theme so it works really well with my collection and is so "me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess nothing says Christmas like a hedgehog, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your salisbury steak dinner in the crockpot has me salivating. I am winging it this week from the stockpile because I have a busy week. However tonight we are getting Chinese food. Hubby does not have a strict no salt diet since he recovered from being so sick. So he and I are craving take out Chinese.

    Your menu looks delicious this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Christmas is out of control! Acorn squash is good if you fill it with butter, brown sugar, but then isn't everything good with butter and brown sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never made Salisbury steak and suppose I never will but I love it occasionally. I was in Wmart and brought chicken breasts to buy. I did not feel like carrying them into the house and cooking them, so I didn't buy them. Beats me what I will eat this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love that Pink Flamingo! I may have to go wander around my KMart and see if they have one!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.