Monday, December 7, 2015

This Week on the Dining Table


It's the "We Finally Get Seasonal Weather" Edition--

Last Wednesday morning the skies opened up with a heavy sleeting episode.  In minutes the deck was covered.....

Then the sleet turned into a snow squall dumping an inch of snow on us in another few minutes.....


Accompanying the snow was thunder!  So yah, we had SNOWTHUNDER here last week.
This is the first seasonal weather to happen here this late Fall/early Winter.  Usually by the end of November we've had a few snowstorms already.
By noon though it was all done, melted and the sun was out and the roads were bone dry by the time I went up to Rite-Aid.
I very strange year for weather in NEPA 2015 has been.

Onward to the meal planning!

Here's what was planned last week.......

1. Sunday--Leftovers-whatever you want
2. Monday--Butternut Squash Soup(something light), Garlic Bread
3. Tuesday--Pecan Chicken, Leftover Sides
4. Wednesday--Leftovers
5. Thursday--Beef Stroganoff, Rice, Leftover Sides
6. Friday--Chicken Parm, Spaghetti(for Hubs), Salad and/or Leftover Sides
7. Saturday--Leftovers

And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Leftovers-whatever you want
2. Monday--Butternut Squash Soup
3. Tuesday--Thanksgiving Leftovers
4. Wednesday--Roast Chicken, Leftover Sides
5. Thursday--Beef Stroganoff, Rice, Brussels Sprouts
6. Friday--Baked Flounder, Home Fries, Sugar Snap Peas
7. Saturday--Chicken and Dumplings(using leftover roast chicken)

I picked up some cheap seasoned chickens Monday so I threw one into the freezer and roasted one on Wednesday.

As for my grocery spending last week...... 5 trips(4 to Weis)for a total of $135.82 spent OOP.  Quite a bit of my food budget spent in this first week of the month due to some really good meat buys. Month to date is $135.82 spent for December on $290.03 worth of regular retail foods/toiletries so a 53.17% savings rate this week.  I have $214.18 leftover in the food budget for the rest of the month and it's only the 7th....eek!

Leftovers going into this week.....Butternut Squash Soup(1 serving), Beef Stroganoff, Rice, Brussels Sprouts, Sugar Snap Peas,  Chicken and Dumplings(1 serving)and 1 piece of Flounder.
I'll at least have the flounder for a lunch this week and will work the rest into the meal plan.

Here is this week's "food plan"--

1. Sunday--Beef Pie
2. Monday--Tuna Noodle Casserole, Spinach Salad
3. Tuesday--Leftovers(probably the soups and some Stroganoff)
4. Wednesday--Bacon and Asparagus Quiche
5. Thursday--Hot Dogs/Brats, Sides(something easy as I'll be driving most of the day)
6. Friday--Pecan Chicken, Corn Casserole, Mixed Veggies
7. Saturday--Leftovers or Subway

This week will see 5 new meals cooked and 2 meals of leftovers consumed.

What I need to buy for this menu?.........Spinach.


What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten last week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week?

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Weather wise, its been an odd one. It is supposed to be 55 next weekend. This is nuts normally we are buried in snow. I just hope that mother nature doesn't decide to make up for missing us.
    Money wise, I'm not talking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.