Monday, October 12, 2015

This Week on the Dining Table


It's the "Unexpected Shopping" Edition--


We stopped and picked up 3 foods on Saturday while we were out South of here, at a grocery outlet type place that we saw had changed hands.  The bargains overall sucked but I found this 2lb. bag of Rockfish for $5.99.  First off, you can't EVER find rockfish anywhere here(and I love it!)and if you find it, it is way more than $3 lb.  So we are giving this a try.  I also got this massive barrel of German pickles for $3.99(so-so deal)and Hubs wanted to try this box of Italian tortas($4.99 for 4).  A torta is sort of a cross between a Calzone and a Pot Pie. lolz  I also picked up a dozen eggs for $1.99(mediums only but still a decent price lately for eggs).
 I'll report back on how all 3 of the untried foods tasted as soon as we partake of them....which won't be any time soon though. 
This little shop brought my food spending for the week up as you will see below.
 
Onward to the meal planning!
 
Here's what was planned last week.......
 
1. Sunday--Leftover Ribs, Leftover Potato Salad, Leftover Squash & Onions
2. Monday--Lasagna, Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread
3. Tuesday--Fish(freezer), Mixed Veggies(freezer), Roasted Potatoes(pantry)
4. Wednesday--Meatloaf(freezer), Collards(garden), Roasted Potatoes(leftover)
5. Thursday--Leftovers(Lasagna or Ribs)
6. Friday--Leftovers(Lasagna or Meatloaf)
7. Saturday--More Leftovers or Pizza take-out(use freebie)if we are tired of eating Leftovers
 
And this is what actually happened--

1. Sunday--Leftover Ribs, Leftover Potato Salad, Leftover Squash & Onions
2. Monday--Lasagna, Caesar Salad, Garlic Bread
3. Tuesday--Chicken Soup w/Noodles(made from leftover smoked chicken breast), Apple Dumplings
4. Wednesday--Meatloaf(freezer), Collards(garden), Roasted Potatoes
5. Thursday--Leftovers(Lasagna)
6. Friday--Leftovers(Ribs, Potatoes), Salad
7. Saturday--Chinese Take-out(using an old gift certificate)

We didn't have the fish meal as I made the leftover chicken into a soup instead that night.
 
As for my grocery spending last week......$47.14 spent at Weis and Shurfine Markets and another $16.96 spent at Grocery Outlet for a total of $64.10 this week brings the monthly spending to $94.86 for October so far.  $205.14 left in the budget for food in October with 19 days left to spend.

Leftovers going into this week....lasagna, chicken soup, meatloaf, collards, romaine lettuce.
 
Here is this week's food plan--

1. Sunday--Leftovers(lasagna, salad)
2. Monday--Leftovers(meatloaf, collards)
3. Tuesday--take-out Pizza(using gift certificate)
4. Wednesday--Leftovers or Breakfast for Dinner or Fend for Yourself
5. Thursday--?no clue
6. Friday--?no clue
7. Saturday--?no clue

Late in the week we are "winging" it and early this week is use up leftovers or shove 'em into the freezer.  Lots going on this week here.  More later.


What I need to buy for this menu?......nothing really as we are in "use it up" mode with the food provisions.  The fridge is getting cleared out so I can do a major clean in there.
I also have apples that need to be used up this week so I am making apple pie today.

I have a few small Weis trips to get in this week before the sales ad changes, as well as a couple of transactions at Rite-Aid for freebies/moneymakers.
Stay tuned later for how those went off.....
 
What is getting fixed and served at your house this week?    

Was last week's plan successful, did you go off plan or did you not even plan what was going to be eaten that week?

Any great deals on food at your stores this week? 

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. Menu plan out the window for last (and this week too). I had finger surgery. Boo hiss. Hubby has been chief cook and bottle washer and doing a good job. Love reading your blog.
    Kathi in Florida
    Angel2dave@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will let mom meal plan I need to go ride my broom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best thing is that Kroger has milk at $2/gallon. Actually, it's 2 one-gallon jugs for $4. The sale ends on Tuesday night, so I will get two gallons even though I still have half a gallon left.

    I have ham to slice for sandwiches, cheese, bread, chicken cooked and frozen, and pork chops that must be cooked today. That will make leftover boneless, fatless pork chops for exbf to take home. There is coleslaw, potatoes, and collards. Meals will happen. Several free carrots will make their way into soup I have planned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have incredible meat buys this week (through tomorrow) and I have been buying/cooking/freezing like a fool. Also Sprouts and Aldi both had excellent produce buys, so I am stocked with fresh veggies and froze some that freeze easily. I imagine this will be the last fantastic ad week until the Thanksgiving turkey sales start.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.