Wednesday, June 4, 2014

April Louisiana Road Trip...Day 8

Monday, Day 8 of our Road Trip, we left Shreveport and headed back east on the interstate.

The original plan had been to go South through Alexandria, then through Baton Rouge to the Southern half of Louisiana, where we were going to make 2 stops--first at the Abita Brew Pub in Abita Springs, LA and second over the river into Mississippi at the Lazy Magnolia Brewing Company in Kiln, MS.

But as luck would have it, both are closed on Mondays and we happened to be going that way on Monday.
Sigh.

So with part of our plan for the day thwarted, we left a little later in the morning and headed back east on I-20.

Before we left the area though, we stopped so I could get a "Roadside America" style photo-op....

                          
Me and the World's Largest Cowboy

This place was right behind our hotel so why not?


Before you knew it....ok, about an hour and a half after getting on the road, we were back in Mississippi.
I love how this sign is located right underneath a grand old Magnolia tree.  If there is one thing I miss about living in Virginia, it's Magnolia trees....

 


We crossed the Mississippi River again at Vicksburg.....


The Mississippi Welcome Center at Vicksburg is a bitch to park at, but out back of the building they have a right nice veranda overlooking the river....


While I was there a local high school senior was having his class photo done with the river as a backdrop.

Once we got to Jackson we veered off the interstate and went Southeast down to Hattiesburg.  About halfway from Jackson to Hattiesburg we stopped for lunch in the little town of Magee.

Now tell me......how was I about to resist a sign with a catfish on it?!


You just never know what you're going to stumble into once you leave the interstate and chain-type restaurants.

These "trees" with faux flowers greeted us in the lobby.

And here is a shot of the dinning hall after the lunch rush was over.....


This was a Fried Catfish and American buffet type place with a "Down Home Country" feel.
Notice our iced tea came in tin measuring cups.....


Fried Catfish, fried Okra, Hush Puppies(those are fried too), Mustard Greens(not fried)and some Mac and Cheese to round out my cholesterol Feast....and I am not even going to show you the dessert I ate. lolz


And I got brave and took a pickled okra off the salad bar.
I grew up in the South eating southern foods but I have never until that day tasted a pickled okra.
Of all the ways you can prepare/eat okra, pickling one had never occurred to me.


I took one bite and discovered that pickled okra is nasty!  Pickled slimy furry vegetables are not my thang evidently....

Incidentally, this was the second time I saw pickled okra on a salad bar on this trip.  The country kitchen place across from our motel in Louisiana where we ate a few times also had them.

And lunch was not the end of the interesting things we saw in Magee at the Catfish House.....

They were offering for sale these books at the front desk/check-out counter.


Now if you actually go read up on this book it sounds interesting and might be a good read.
But the title?.....it sure made my head snap around when I passed it and had to go back for a photo. lolz

And that wasn't the end of interesting sights at Berry's.
Check out the 10 Commandments in front of the restaurant......



I guess I've been living up North too long now because I was surprised by this...but I shouldn't have been. lolz


After a quick stop in Hattiesburg to pick up a surprise for someone, we soon crossed another state line into Alabama and hit traffic in downtown Mobile.
 

After we got through the tunnel....what a mess!......we have some scenic driving right next to Mobile Bay....


Another half hour or so and we were arrived at our destination for the evening-- Fairhope, Alabama.
We found a nice Holiday Inn Express for the night, unloaded the car and before I knew it I was talking to Lorraine from We are: clamco and arranging to meet her family for dinner at this place in town.....


Chicken buffet rules posted by the front door.
 We went inside to wait and before you know it, in walked the Clamco clan: Megan, Lorraine and Chris.
Hugs happened and we just started talking like we'd been old friends forever.



While waiting for our chicken, Lorraine and I got our picture took and of course I hammed it up because yah, that's what I do......


And I told Lorraine that I absolutely loved her......because she is an awesome person.....but also because she is shorter than me!!
And I never meet anybody who is shorter than me.  ;-)



After gorging on chicken, biscuits, slaw and fries, the Clamcos invited us back to their Clamco Cottage for coffee, tea and dessert.
Hubs, Lorraine and I took a walk down on the Fairhope pier first.  I didn't think to take any pictures of the waterfront but then again, it was dark by then.

Chris also showed us his convention display and wares which he had set up in the garage.  He's got a great set-up and I knew he'd do well at his Mobicon show in May.

And even better, Chris made me a present.......one of the Steampunk items he makes to sell.....

It's a cool tube light on a base.  Press the button and the tube lights up in a changing array of colors.
Thanks Chris!

Check out more of Chris's creations at Black Flame Creations.




Here is the clamco couple again.
They are both such nice folks and made us feel very welcomed.

The only negative thing I can say is that we didn't get to meet sooner back when they lived here in PA not 20 minutes away from us!
All those years we lived so close and wasted that opportunity.....*sad face*

The evening passed all too quickly and we headed back to the motel for some shut eye.
It was a lovely end to our day.

Sluggy

11 comments:

  1. You make me want to hit the open road for an adventure. Tea in a tin vat-my kind of place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well let's go!! I can be at your house July 3rd.

      Delete
  2. Yay! You finally made it to the Fairhope part of the trip! Of all the fancy places you've been eating, I'm embarrassed to say that Danny's looks pretty blah in comparison. We should have picked something a little nicer. We really enjoyed your visit and wished we could have spent more time with you. Hopefully, when you move to LA, we can get together again and have a nice dinner on real plates. lol!
    Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, y'all were at the tail end our trip. lol
      Danny's was good, don't worry about it.
      I'm heading back to LA later this Summer(yah, what am I thinking, going South in the Summer!!!)so maybe I can swing by again if I can find a cheaper motel down your way. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Looks like you and the Clamco gang had a nice time. I am not a fan of slimy picked furry veggies either :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slimy is good in gumbo, not so good on a salad bar...lol

      Delete
  4. If you look on store shelves near pickles here, you will see jars of pickled okra. Clamco, don't worry. I picked out bbq after they had bbq for lunch! Around this town, most things close early. We could have gone to Denny's or the Cracker Barrel.

    If they had come earlier in the day, I would have taken them out into the country a bit for real country fare.

    When I went to Mobile and found I had to go through the tunnel, I got off the road and went 100 miles out of my way to get back north and home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We recently heard at a funeral "She was a fervent believer in some of the Ten Commandments"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for giving me hours of enjoyment! Your blogs are interesting, beautiful and exciting.
    wooden-furniture

    ReplyDelete
  7. Save a horse, ride a cowboy! Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip! You all look like you had so much fun!

    I only like okra fried. Can't stand the slime. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.