Monday, July 29, 2013

This Week On The Dining Table

This is the "Not Doing Much Cooking" Week.

 
Here's what was planned last week--

Sunday--Potato Crusted Flounder, Roasted Potatoes and Onions, Brussel Sprouts
Monday--Tacos, Corn
Tuesday--Lasagna, Garlic Bread, Salad
Wednesday--Chicken medallions, Spinach, Squash or Zucchini
Thursday--Pork Chops, Green Beans(from last Summer's garden), Mashed taters, Applesauce
Friday--homemade Pizza-maybe barbeque chicken pizza(using more of that mozzarella cheese & cooked chicken), Green Salad
Saturday--Leftovers
 
We were good with this plan until Wednesday.
Thursday and Saturday we had Sausage Sandwiches(one night w/Coleslaw, the other night w/Corn on the Cob).  The local market had a new brand from NJ on special for $1.99 lb. so I picked up a few packages.  Making those was quick and easy and didn't involve the oven and I jammed 2 pkgs. in the freezer for later.  Friday I took the rest of the chicken breast meat from that 8.5lbs. I got for less than .99¢ lb.(After using some for fresh chicken sandwiches for lunches....), and made chicken and dumplings.  I threw in baby carrots that were getting old that needed using up.

 So Pork Chops and Pizza are moving to this week's menu....again. lolz
 

 I spent more anticipated last week because of the sausage patties on sale, the son wanted a frozen pizza and I hit the produce stand in town on Saturday morning and spend an additional $10 on fresh produce.  So last week,  I spent  $56.36 on  $83.78 worth of groceries at 1 store & 1 produce stand.
If I don't buy any more groceries until Thursday, August 1st, I will have spent $357.86 for food in July.
 
**We did have some food waste this week.......Sluggy hangs her head in shame.......
We hardly ever have food waster anymore here so I'm not too broken up over this happening.  I just don't want it to become a regular thing, ya know?
A small portion of Coleslaw and a bigger portion(2 maybe?)of Fajita filling mix went to Food Waste Heaven last week.
  
Leftovers, that are still aok, going into this week's plan......1 portion of Lasagna, 2 sausage patties, 3 helping of Chicken & Dumplings.
 
This week is Band Camp so #2 Son won't be here for dinner all week.
I can't eat Thursday, due to Colonoscopy prep(yuck!)so I am not cooking and Hubs is on his own.
(I told him to get fast food because I don't even want to smell food cooking that day. lol)
 
(I've made bold the leftover items I've used in the menu below.)

 Here's this week's meal plan--
 
Sunday--Leftovers or Whatever you can Find in the Fridge
Monday--Leftover Lasagna for me, Sausage Sammies for Hubs
Tuesday--Chicken & Dumplings
Wednesday--Pork Chops, Green Beans, Roasted Taters
Thursday--Fend for Yourself night, I can't eat. eek!
Friday--Probably Chinese Take-Out as I won't feel like cooking but will be ravenous lol
Saturday--No Clue yet....maybe that grilled Pizza I never made ?

On the shopping list for these meals--turkey deli meat(for my lunches), bread and possibly more fruit.
There are a few Catalina deals at Weis PMITA Markets this week I might be tempted to do(Unilever and Purina)but I'm not sure yet if I will.  I might hit up the bread outlet this week as we are low on all bread products.
 
I'm figuring about $20 for the list above.....more if I do the Catalina deals.

That's what's appearing on the kitchen table this week here at Chez Sluggy.  Not much cooking or shopping going into August.

 What's getting fixed and served at your house this week?

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Zero idea. I stole 2 cans of tomato paste from my parents' house along with 2 boxes of cornbread mix. I am by myself all this week as the landlord+kids are on vacation, so chances are I will wing it somehow... as soon as I can figure out how to wing it. I do have some dough freezing, maybe make a big pizza? Hmm... Or Chinese. Chinese sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm shaking my head in shame... My hubs threw out 3 thawed chicken breasts that had been in the fridge unthawed for too long. Granted, it would probably have killed us or given us violent diarrhea... But it was THREE chicken breasts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot think about what to eat or cook this week! That's because nothing is thawed. I have some hamburgers frozen, from fast food, not cooked, so that will suffice plus a can of tuna. Then, there are sweet potatoes baked already plus tomatoes and peaches.

    I just found out that cole slaw can be frozen and will be crispy when removed from the freezer. So, leftover cole slaw will be frozen in a Ball canning jar next time. It is the one thing that is just not appetizing looking on the third day. Oh, mayo cole slaw does not freeze well, but Miracle Whip cole slaw freezes just fine. That is what the expert told me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The stuff you threw away couldn't have been fed to the dogs, so we'd have done the same!

    I did make a nice chicken/clam chowder using leftovers last week. We enjoyed it through the weekend. Not sure what our food tally for the month will be, I'm doing that math tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not to upset you but I have decided that I am moving in with you! After seeing all the wonderful foods that you eat, yup I'm moving in. Run, woman, run.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.