Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Crush is Gone


I was saddened to hear this morning that composer Marvin Hamlisch had died at 68.

He was a much lauded American composer.  He is only one of two people who have ever been awarded Emmys, Grammys, Oscars and a Tony Award, as well as the Pulitzer Prize.(Richard Rodgers was the other person.)  Marvin also won 2 Golden Globe Awards.

If you went to the movies you may not recognize his name but you'd recognize his work.
Like this one.....



Or this one.....



Or follow this LINK to a medley of his hits.


But this is how I remember Marvin.....


Back in 1975, when I was a 16 year old high school student who was working toward a career in the Theater and dreamed of making it to Broadway, Marvin Hamlisch was a god.
"A Chorus Line" had hit the boards and it was the biggest thing in the Art World.  It single handedly revitalized a dying Musical Theater industry.

Marvin Hamlisch was everywhere in the media.  A constant guest on Johnny Carson's The Tonight Show along with every other talk-type show.


He was twice my age but I thought he was about the sexiest thing on two legs.  I guess my "type" of man at 16 was an older Jewish geeky looking man with glasses and an unglamorous name.

But I'll tell you, there is nothing sexier about a man as what is between his ears.
This is my words of wisdom for all you young people out there who lust after all those hard bodied hotties.

This man was talented!  From what I ever saw, he was genuine and a class act.  He also had a great sense of humor.

And it didn't hurt that he looked mighty fine in a tux back in the day.....



Marvin occupied many a nightime dream of my 16 year old self.
I know this is too much information but I had this recurring dream that I went to New York and auditioned for a show and Marvin was playing piano accompaniment for the auditioners, including me.
He saw and heard me and fell in love with me, whisking me away into his world of theater, art, and the New York society world and we would have a torrid love affair.

I guess you know that things didn't quite work out that way for me. ;-)


Here's an interview with Marvin about his Audition at 6 to Julliard Music School.


 And here is some more Marvin love in an interview I found online. (It's about a 1/2 hour long, but worth it if you have the time.)





R.I.P. Mr. Marvin Hamlisch


Sluggy

7 comments:

  1. It's always very sad when our heroes pass along.
    Sorry Sluggy.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He wrote some amazing music. But I just have to mention a quote some comedian made in the 80's.... that Marving Hamlisch was the only man alive who wished he was Barry Manilow.

    A Chorus Line will always be one of my favorite musicals and I remember seeing it on Broadway as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Barry was way cooler than Marvin back in the day. If I didn't detest the vapid stuff Barry churned out, how knows where my love life would have taken me?lol

      Delete
  3. I loved Marvin Hamlisch and saw many of those interviews. You are so right about what makes a man sexy. I was not quite so enamored as you, but he was a hottie to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to all and watched the interview. I had forgotten how funny he is, not funny in a yuck yuck way. Sense of humor along with brains gets me every time. And he is easy on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so loved talented and artistic men myself! And wow was he talented! LOVE LOVE LOVE Carly Simon's song...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you "bagged" yourself a talented guy too...hehehehe

      Delete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.