Monday, January 17, 2011

Free is Good, Greed is Not

So I got my Rite-Aid shopping out of the way for the week early on Sunday.

Rite-Aid has 3 items that are free after +Up Rewards this week, facial tissue, a 4 pack of toilet paper and the single rolls of toilet paper.  All are Rite-Aid brand items.
I figured if I wanted to see/get any of this stuff, I'd have to be up at Rite-Aid Sunday when they opened the doors.
Sometimes it pays to be a non-church going heathen......

Was the 1st customer in the door here.
Plenty of facial tissue boxes and single rolls and not one single 4 pack of TP on the shelf.  The manager said there is probably some in the stockroom but she couldn't locate it(it was jammed with boxes)and the person who breaks down the boxes and stocks stuff wasn't in yet to work on things.
I knew that if I came back later in the day, unless I had INCREDIBLY GOOD TIMING, I'd miss out on the TP.
So I just bought a few facial tissue and single TP rolls....
10 x TP w/wellness discount .95¢=$9.50
3 x facial tissue on sale=$3.00
Total....$12.50 +$.01 tax??=$12.51

No Coupons and used $12.00 +Up Rewards.
Used Rite-Aid gift card to pay OOP of .51¢

I received $13 +Up Rewards back, making this a $1 moneymaker.
I didn't get the memo that only $10 worth of the facial tissue triggered a special $3 +Up Reward.
If I had I would have bought 7 more facial tissues(since they were lousy with them)and gained an extra $3 +Ups.


Now free paper products is awesome!
But I just bought a 'normal' amount and didn't fill a shopping cart or something like has been reported.
If you took a store's whole stock(if they had more than just a couple rolls/packs of something)then.... Shame.
On.
You.

Unless you are destitute, you have no right taking it all.
Get your fair share and move on to the next freebie.

I could have run from Rite-Aid to Rite-Aid on Sunday scooping up free paper products but I just didn't feel the need to do so.
If you slept in on Sunday and missed out on the free paper products, be sure and get a raincheck so that if you find a spare roll/box/pack of one of these items on the shelf after this week, you can get in on the freebie.

After tucking my bit of the freebies away, I did my regular shopping......

2 x Viactiv Calcium Chews on sale $6=$12.00
2 x Ester-C packets on sale BOGO=$5.99
3 x Hormel Chili on sale $1.25=$3.75
1 x Mott's Applesauce on sale=$1.25
6 x Betty C. Muffin Mix on sale $1=$6.00
2 x Ramen Noodles on sale $1=$2.00
2 x Chow Mein Noodles on sale $1=$2.00
SubTotal....$32.99

Coupons Used
1 x $4 any Purchase AdPerk/VV Q=$4.00
2 x $3/1 Viactiv ManuQ(Sunday's paper)=$6.00
2 x $2/1 Ester-C ManuQ=$4.00
2 x $1/1 Ester-C AdPerks/VV Q=$2.00
3 x $.50/1 Hormel Chili AdPerks/VV Q=$1.50
3 x $.50/1 BC Baking Item AdPerks/VV Q=$1.50
Coupon Total....$19.00

$32.99-$19.00=$13.99
Used $13 +Up Rewards and put $.99 on my Rite-Aid gift card so Zero Out of Pocket.

Received $12 +Up Rewards(4 x $1 Chili, $2 WYB 10 $1 select food items, 2 x $3 Viactic)=$12.
This transaction "cost me" $1 in +Ups.

I transaction I gained an +Up, 1 I lost an +Up so I am even for the day.

THESE TRIPS
Number of Transactions.....2
Total Spent....$1.50  (put on free Rite-Aid gift card)
Value of Items....$72.34
SCR qualified for...$0.00
Other Rebates earned...$0.00
Gift Cards earned....$00.00
Resolution Reward....$00.00
+Up Rewards earned...$25.00
+Up Rewards spent...$25.00
+Up Rewards left to spend....$142.00

 

GRAND TOTALS--January Rebate Period so far

Number of Transactions......31
Total Spent....$16.87 put on free Gift Cards/Certificates so ZERO OOP
Value of Items purchased....$1271.35
SCR qualified for....$12.00
Other Cash....$0.00

Additional Rebates....$0.00
Additional Non-Cash Rewards....$40.00

+UPS Totals for Jan. SCR period
+Up Rewards carryover from 1/15.....$142.00
+Up Rewards spent....$337.50
+Up Rewards earned....$356.00
+Up Rewards left....$142.00 includes ALL +Ups not just ones from this SCR period


Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could get some free toilet paper. I need to find a deal soon. We are running low. And no....I do not need a wall of tp to make me happy. We currently have 1 1/2 12 packs. I feel more comfortable with a little more that that.

    I miss almost free Cottonelle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even get any :) When I went in yesterday morning, I knew about it, and the store still had lots of stock (including the 4-roll packs), but considering we hate using the Scott 1000 TP, and I imagine this stuff is about the same caliber, I decided to pass. I went for the free-after-Ups TGIF snack bags instead - LOL! Because DH is often asking for snacky, salty things, so this seemed like a good way to have some around on the cheap. Not only that, but as I alluded to in my blog post, he also needed Tilex bathtub spritzer, and since RA had it on sale for $2.50, I used my $2Ups, bought 4 97-cent bags of TGIF snacks, plut the remaining $1.88 on a gc, got back $4 Ups, used 2 of those on the Tilex, put the 50-cents on a gc, and kept $2Ups. So in effect, I basically spent $2.38 (less than the cost of the Tilex if I'd just bought it straight from the shelf) to get 4 bags of snacks and a bottle of Tilex.

    I may have to go back for more snacky, salty, free things :) If there are any left at this point...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow. so.. it pays in free toilet paper to be a non-church-going heathen? Probably not worth it... ;P lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really did well! And I too, am a heathen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I think if you are giving something like toilet papter away for FREE, then you should figure out everyone will want some. After all, it doesn't spoil and most(?) everyone needs it. So, shouldn't you have a big supply of it in your store? Well, not so much 'round here. I did find some today and got 5 4-packs. There was no sign saying the limit is one (as I've read on other blogs), so I checked out and 3 UPS printed. The cashier noticed and called the manager. They discussed limits, but there wasn't anything in the ad and I said I didn't see anything on the shelf, so they gave me back $2.18 (even the tax). They had no single rolls or facial tissue. I may stop on my way home tonight and see if they haven't been cleaned out. Making up for no pasta anywhere last week.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.