Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Garden Harvest....Picking Before the Hard Frost

I had Hubs go pick what was still left in the garden, except for the Collards on Sunday morning.  We experienced the first frost of the season this past week so all the plants(besides the collards and eggplant)are dead.
Here is our next to last harvest for the year.....


That's a mess of jalapenos, some green bell and Italian roasting peppers.
The vine holding our last lone butternut squash had a surprise baby squash on it.  The baby is only about 4 inches tall so we'll see if we actually get anything edible from it once it's peeled and all.lol

I had picked about 14 tomatoes, the last for the year, in between this harvest and the one mid-October.  I used some when I made a batch of fresh pasta sauce, but things got away from me here and I ended up letting some of them go bad, so back into the garden bed they went with the rest of the compost.  I'm not counting those in the garden totals, nor the ones that went into the sauce since I didn't think to weigh them first.

Update on the Eggplants....
The plants are still alive and kicking.  Since the temperatures have dropped significantly here in the last few days, I'm not sure how much more time I've bought those eggplants to grow but anything helps, right?

I'll be picking them in the coming week I think, along with the collard greens.
*Update*
I just went out to check on the eggplants and the temps. last night did the plants in so I had to pick them.  More on them in a day or so....

This Harvest----
56.4 oz.
TOTAL....3 lbs.  8.4 oz.

Garden Harvest Weight Total to date....91 lbs.  3.02 oz.

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I understand that sometimes if winter squash are picked very young, you can eat them the same way you would summer squash. Just a thought for that baby you have.

    We cleared out the remains of our garden a couple of days ago. We had small peppers, two very small eggplant, one stray green onion and a good deal of Swiss chard that, I'm embarrassed to say, had been out there most of the summer. We kept expecting it to die in the heat, but it kept growing. I expected it to be bitter with age, but it was fine. I guess a little neglect does a garden good sometimes.

    A hard frost will kill the eggplant (at least, it killed ours), so you might need to get those off the vine sooner than later.

    I wish we'd planted some fall greens such as collards. It seemed like more than we could handle, but it was a great year this year for fall plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for giving me hope about the baby butternut.lol

    I sure wish we were in a warmer zone and could do a fall garden, but until we get some kind of cold frames or a hothouse it won't be happening....and if it's up to hubs it won't ever happen. He begrudingly helps me with the garden each year. He loves to eat what we grow but he just doesn't love the process...he's rather go buy bags of veg. at the grocery store.lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your garden produced really well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, your garden did great! I just picked the last of the oregano and dill. It is drying on the counter. I even cut down a few of the green onions. They come back if you don't pull them. I was lucky this year and the oregano plant came back. I knew that chives can come back but I didn't think that oregano did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My poor baby eggplants didn't survive the frost. I was sad! My dill is okay; it is drying. I didn't know that green onions come back if you don't pull them...that SonyaAnn is such a smarty pants!! LOL

    Your garden did really, really well! That is awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUMMO!!! Salsa!!! Someone just gave us a bunch of hot peppers. Now I need to find someone else with tomatoes and we'll be in business!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.