Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Winding Down the Gardening.....Still Picking Though!

Monday I finally picked the squash in the front garden bed.
Let me rephrase that....I picked the squash on the lawn in front of the front garden bed.
The squash that had been swallowed up by the TALL GRASS under the squash vines that stretched out onto the lawn in front of the front garden bed.
The tall grass that was so dense you couldn't see the squash.
The tall grass that grew so dense since we couldn't move the squash nor mow under it for the last 6 weeks or so.
I'm so glad I don't live next door to ANNIE JONES or I'd have gotten a notice from the city for my patches of grass forest dotting my front lawn. j/k  ;-)

Anyway, here's what I hacked off the vines before I ripped them up and let #2 son have at it with the front lawn....

Note the lone pepper too.
There is one more Butternut Squash to pick out in the barrel planter....well, the plant is in the barrel, the squash is in the back garden bed next to it.

Things are winding down in the garden quickly now.  Not much left to harvest.
Though I still have collards, more peppers and tomatoes to pick.  The jalapeno peppers keep on coming....

And there is this.....
A baby eggplant.....finally!
We put these plants in the beginning of June and they sat and did nothing.....and the baby bunny rabbit ravaged their leaves and we thought the sticks he left would die in July......and they didn't and grew new foliage later in July and continued to do no growing in Aug. and most of Sept.....and then they grew flowers and bloomed in late Sept. and one bloom grew a teeny tiny 1.5 inch eggplant.
So I have a mission now.
To construct a teeny tiny hoop house/transparent plastic covering to try and coax this plant to live long enough past the frost to get this eggplant to grow big enough to eat.
Stay tuned.......

This Harvest----
Peppers--2.9oz.
Squash--10 lbs. 5.4 oz.

TOTAL....10 lbs.  8.3oz.
Garden Harvest Weight Total to date....87 lbs.  11.02 oz.

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I think I beat you! I have about 4 lbs of weeds and 95 lbs of a tree branch that I threw in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'm so glad I don't live next door to ANNIE JONES or I'd have gotten a notice from the city for my patches of grass forest dotting my front lawn. j/k ;-)"-LOl funny tie in!!!
    You are still doing great and I would love to see the little green house you construct!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about a gallon milkjug greenhouse. That is what my sister uses. Or, that might not work if that eggplant is high off the ground.

    I have faith, you will help that baby grow.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.