Thursday, October 14, 2010

Be Prepared for Unemployment.....Have a Plan to Reduce Spending


Do you see it?
Over there, in the corner.....that quite large pachyderm?
The elephant called Economic Recession.
Even when no one is talking about it, it's presence is always felt.  I see less people in the stores buying. More 'for sale' signs going up on people's houses and condos.   Fewer car lots still open.  Restaurants closing up.

In these uncertain economic times, it is wise to have a plan to reduce your expenses if income loss ever happens to you.
Unemployment percentages and lay-offs are at record highs for this generation.  While your job may be a sure thing today, no one knows what tomorrow may bring.  Don't be blindsided when and if a loss of employment and income happens to you!
This is especially important if your household runs on one income and not two.  If that one income leaves, you don't have the safety net of that second source of money.

Plan Ahead When Your Income is Good
Even before the thought of a job loss there are two things you should be working on well before you encounter an economic crisis--paying off/down debt and piling up cash.
If you have debt(anything except a mortgage)get serious on paying off that debt.  That's a good plan no matter the economy or your income!  The less bills you have sucking your limited income up in unemployment, the better.  And make sure you have a hefty Emergency Fund. This would be a pile of money in an account somewhere(heck, even in a coffee can buried in your backyard!)that you can use to cover expenses if you ever lose your source of income until you go back to work. 
When unemployment happens, the better shape your finances are in the better you can ride out the "laid-off storm". 

Have a Plan to Reduce Expenses
Beyond eliminating/reducing debt, make an emergency budget plan for your family.   When a job loss strikes, you need to take immediate steps to reduce your spending and preserve what money you have and make it last until the paychecks come rolling in again.

That point was brought home this week in my family.  Hubs came home with glum news that his company, which had let go a handful of employees last month, was about to announce a much larger round of lay-offs that would affect many areas of the business.

Hubs is fairly certain that he isn't at any risk of losing his job at this point.  But the facts are that A--many companies are "lay-off happy" lately,  and B--that he is nearing retirement age and C-- that he has a larger than some at his level salary due to his many years of service.
These 3 things may put him in the "firing squad's" crosshairs in the future.

So in my copious free time....lol....I sat down earlier this week and contemplated a "Lay-Off" Budget for my family...just in case it's ever needed.

While we are pretty frugal here already and have no debt currently and live on a budget, there are 'wants' we can cut and 'needs' we can reduce if we had to. 

Here is my list of what I'd change in my budget if a job loss happened tomorrow.

*Cable TV--Since we have a bundled service that includes high-speed internet too, we would shop around to either unbundle and drop cable altogether or reduce the cable component to bare bones.  We could realize a small savings doing this.  While not a 'need', Internet is the one thing that would go as a last resort, but for now it would stay.
Potential savings of $50 a month.

*Telephones--We don't pay for our kids cell phones and never have.  If they want one, they find the money through work or allowance to pay for it so we can't save anything there.  But we do have 2 pay-as-you-go cell phones between Hubs and myself, as well as a landline.  We would drop the landline as I have a long distance pay-per-month plan on my cell.  With #1 son away at school, some form of long distance service is a need.  Dropping the landline would save us approx. $30 a month.

*Eating Out--This would be stopped immediately....ALL OF IT!  While we would probably save $200 a month here(between the dinners out, the fast food for #2 son, and the hot school lunches) we would probably spend more on groceries to make up for it so I'm saying a savings of approx. $150 per month.

*Entertainment--This item could also be eliminated from our budget.  We can find free things to do to amuse ourselves if there is a personal financial crisis. Savings of approx. $25 a month.  Yes, we are TOTAL Party Animals anyway, huh?! lolol

*Groceries & Toiletries--While I spend basically zero on toiletries now anyway, I could cut some fat from the food budget.  I'd plan more meatless meals and try to reduce grocery expenses by using cheaper ingredients, much to the chagrin of Hubs.  Daughter gets free food at her current job so those nights would help because I don't have to feed her. If the cost cutting had to be extended for a long period of time, I'd expand the size of the garden next Spring, in order to grow more of our own produce, which would bring down grocery costs over the course of the year.  Short term, we could cut to a $150 a month food budget for a reduction of $50 to $100 a month as I spend $250 now.

*Laundry--Once I run out of almost free detergent, I'd make my own to save money. I'd wash only in cold water(I do use warm water some loads now).  I'd figure out a way to string clotheslines somewhere in the house or garage to dry clothes in the winter so no using the dryer at all.  Not sure how much that would save but it would be something.
Potential savings of  $15 a month.

*Water Usage--I'd set a stricter limit of the teens shower lengths.  Maybe a timer with a loud bell to get them out of the shower faster.  If this period stretched into next year, we'd not open the pool, as it is a water hog.
We would also utilize rain barrels(if we could source them for cheap)to water the garden next year.
 Potential savings of $10 a month.

*Electricity--We would eat down the freezer and then unplug it and make due without stockpiling the bulk of our frozen foods.  We would still have the small freezer compartment over the fridge and the makeshift root cellar in the garage(during cold weather).  Light bulbs would be replaced with lower wattage models.  Some bulbs would be removed if the area only needs 'mood' lighting and not task lighting.  I'd get all up in the teens faces more when they leave on lights and the tv when they leave a room......the teens would add that I couldn't possibly get more up in their faces about this. ;-)
Potential savings of $8 a month.

*Heating/Cooling--By far the largest component of our Electric bill.  Turning down the thermostats another degree or two in the cold weather and make everyone bundle up more.  I'd also add insulation by jerry-rigging heavy drapes or quilts over the back windows in the house.  The back of the house gets the evening sun only so they are pretty useless for passive solar efforts, so I'd cover them with padded fabric to retain heat.  Any of those rooms that I need sunlight in during the day for illumination, I'd made the drape removable.  In terms of cooling/air conditioning, we only have window a/c units now and I don't find we need the a/c very often.  I attempt now to keep the units off and utilize the ceiling fans as much as possible in the hot weather.  The a/c would be used for emergencies only.
Summer months savings of $15 a month, Winter months savings of $50 a month.

*Home/Car Insurance--We would revisit our policies and see if there was a way to cut the premiums down without putting anything at risk with this coverage.  The car insurance on the car for the teens use would either be discontinued(and they would drive my car when needed)or they would be asked to help pay for that part of the insurance from their part time jobs.
Potential savings of $80 a month.

Miscellaneous Expenses--Mostly this includes things Hubs spends on with the cash he withdraws every month(except what he spends on eating out and gasoline)...food at work(which he would no longer need to spend), dry cleaning(which he would no longer need to spend), coffee on the way to work(ditto), other incidentals and WAM(walking around money).  It's hard to know for sure but I think this could be a $100 a month savings if he didn't need to spend for these items.

With just these items, we could potentially reduce our expenses between an additional $528 to $613 per month!

With the small amount of money we spend compared to many people I know, I am floored at how much I could still pull out of the budget if I had to!  Yes, doing some of it would inconvenience us and would impact the lifestyle we are used to, but I feel all of this is still highly do-able and wouldn't cause undue strain on anyone in our family.
The teens would probably disagree vehemently with me though.... ;-)

So this Emergency Budget would be my first step if Hubs ever comes home with 'the bad news'.   I feel a sense of relief just having something written up.  I know what to do now instead of panicking!

Have you thought about making an Emergency Spending Plan with your partner?
I highly recommend having some idea of how to proceed, in writing, if the unemployment blues land on your doorstep.  Having a plan beforehand is key to surviving periods of economic distress.

Sluggy

6 comments:

  1. I still have my lay-off budget on my computer from when Shane was laid off for nine weeks at the first of the year. The major change is that we have paid off our van; that frees up $400 a month for us.

    We are under contract with our cable company; we have cable bundled with our Internet service. That contract is due to renew Nov. 6, so I will take time in the next week or so to shop around to see if there is anything cheaper, see how much we would save by dropping the cable portion, etc. A change may or may not be made once my research is done.

    Everything else you mentioned we did to some degree when he was laid off. Just a quick re-visit to some of them (like car insurance) should be all we need to do.

    Unfortunately, while we feel Shane's job is secure (no permanent layoffs are expected), we do anticipate some lay-off time this winter due to lack of work and inclement weather.

    One thing I would add is that if your family (or any family) eats game meat, fowl or fish, now is the time to plan for deer and turkey hunting and fishing to stock up on wild meats. Shane plans to hunt deer next month; hopefully he will be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good tips. My wife has always been a big coupon shopper and put a blog together to help people save money on their groceries. You might check out.
    www.GroceryShopForFREE.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Maybe a timer with a loud bell to get them out of the shower faster."

    This idea didn't work with my friend's kids, so she kept the timer with her downstairs and when it went off, she shut off the hot water - that worked perfectly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sluggy, this is an excellent and timely post. Though I don't worry about being laid off. There is always that posibility and I AM the one income in our family. We haven't discussed a layoff budget, but there is quite a bit of spending that we could cut out. We have been eating out more than we used to when I felt poor. ie: when kids lived at home. But, we have no debt, except for a car payment. All services we have are pretty bare bones, so the only way to get cheaper cable/internet/phone is to not have them at all. LOL!

    We have a comfortable emergency fund and we are both good ate not spending. So, we would be okay for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did an unemployment budget a while ago and I figured out how much Den would get. He would top out at $500 a week so we would be fine. I have so many lists around here! Sometimes it is the only thing that makes me feel better when times get rough.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to do this to our bills... This is a very scary thought!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.