Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday's Rite-Aid Trip....Thank Goodness for Tax!

I never did go back to Rite-Aid last week to do the "Buy $50 in P&G products, Get a $15+Ups Reward" deal.  Frankly, I don't need most of the stuff that qualified for the deal....except for the Gain Dishwashing Liquid that was free after coupons....that would have been sweet!

But I did run out Sunday morning to Rite-Aid because I had to get a notebook for my nephew for school, so I went ahead and got my total to $25 so I could use a $5 off coupon.

Here's what I bought.....


1 x Mead Notebook $5.79--with 20% wellness discount=$4.63
1 x L'Oreal Haircolor on sale $8.99/reg. $9.29--20% wellness discount was cheaper than sale price=$7.43
1 x Crest Toothpaste on sale=$2.99
1 x BioTrue $4.99--with 20% wellness discount=$3.99
2 x Right Guard Deodorant BOGO sale($4.69 ea.)=$4.69
1 x KitKat Bar $.50--with 20% wellness discount=$.40
SubTotal....$24.13***

Coupons Used
1 x $5 off $25 AdPerks/VV IPQ=$5.00
1 x $2/1 L'Oreal HairColor In-Ad Q=$2.00
1 x $2/1 L'Oreal HairColor ManuQ=$2.00
1 x $1/1 Crest Toothpaste ManuQ=$1.00
1 x $2/1 BioTrue IPQ=$2.00
2 x $1.50/ RightGuard Defense 5 IPQ=$3.00
Coupon Total.....$15.00

$24.13-$15.00=$9.13

Used
$2 Rite-Aid Q-good on anything in the store(sent to me for +Ups that didn't print)
$5 +Ups from Garnier purchase of last week
Equals....$7.00

$9.13-$7.00=$2.13 Total, put on free Rite-Aid Gift Cards so ZERO OOP.

+Ups Rewards earned.....$4(BioTrue), $2(Crest Toothpaste), $2(L'Oreal), $1(Dial-RightGuard)=$9.00


***According to my calculator(which I use to add up my total before I get to the register), I had $27 and change worth of items to buy.  I didn't figure in the wellness disc. on the BioTrue(I assumed that $4.99 was a sale price!)and that a 20% wellness disc. was LOWER than the sale price on the L'Oreal Haircolor.  So instead of being over $25 in purchases I was UNDER by about 2 cents, according to the cashier.  So I grabbed the KitKat bar, which also was only $.40 rather than the sale price of $.50 with the 20% wellness discount.  After adding in the candy bar, the register showed I was over the $25 threshold($25.15) and the cashier took my $5 off $25 Q.
When I add it all up above, it shows I am only at $24.13 before the coupons are deducted....WTF

I have finally figured out that when the register shows your total(with sale or wellness disc. prices, before the cashier starts deducting Qs)it is including SALES TAX.....so your sales tax could be what is getting you over the magical $25 mark.  But many times when I use Qs, the registers here take all sales tax off, even if you buy an item that is taxed and you don't have enough Qs to make that item free.....all sales tax is wiped off of your transaction.
The sales taxed items on my transaction added $1.02 to my total at the register after the addition of the candy bar and BEFORE the Qs were deducted.
After the Qs, my $25.15 total went to $2.13.  I used $22 in QS/+Ups--which brings my total to $3.15.  So if you deduct the sales tax of $1.02 as well, the total drops to $2.13--which was my amount due.

So this must be what is happening-the sales tax on the taxable items is getting me over the $25 mark in the register but then when the Qs are deducted on the sale, the sales tax is also deducted from your transaction, making your grand total even lower.
It is thoroughly confusing....but nearly HALF as confusing as the hinky way that Target receipts show how your purchases were figured!  Am I right people??lol


THIS TRIP
Total Spent....$2.13 (put on free Rite-Aid gift card)
Value of Items....$34.74
SCR qualified for...$0.00
+Up Rewards earned...$9.00


MONTHLY TOTALS-September Rebate Period

Number of Transactions......3
Total Spent....$11.58 put on free Gift Cards/Certificates so ZERO OOP
Value of Items purchased....$115.84
SCR qualified for....$0 in cash and $0 in Gift Cards
Other Cash....$0
Additional Non-Cash Rewards....$0
+Up Rewards spent....$18.00
+Up Rewards earned....$16.00

Total 'Spent'...$11.58 on gift cards
Total Cash I'm getting Back=$0
Total Gift Cards I'm getting=$0
+Up Rewards left to spend=$10.00



Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. Good job I get screwed up on that every once in a while too!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.