Friday, September 10, 2010

In the Land of Randomness...Welcome to My World! Sept.10th


This is a photo of Little Edie aka Edith Bouvier Beale taken around 1972.  She was the cousin of Jackie Kennedy(as in First Lady Jackie Kennedy).  If you haven't been under a rock for the last couple of years you already have some inkling who this woman was.  If you want to watch the documentary the Maysles Brothers made, that brought her and her mother, Big Edie Beale, to the attention of the public, go to Hulu and find "Grey Gardens".  It's much better than that movie HBO put out last year.  Too bad the Broadway show of their lives isn't still running.  Christine Ebersole was grand in the role of Little Edie.  To find one of the few clips of her in the role, performing at the 2007 Tony Awards go HERE.
I think this documentary is a mesmerizing and wonderful study of two amazing women who were both trapped by their time/society and made free by their approach to that life.
If I can be half the Staunch Women that the Edies were, I'll be happy with how my life turns out.

It's here!!!
It's so nice to have a real working refrigerator again.....
Now I need to clean up the inside of the old one that is sitting in the garage and after Jury Duty month I can try to arrange for a repairman to look at it again.

From the annuals of "I just don't get it".  How come people who realize that they are on the brink of disaster won't change their behaviors...or won't even do the few things they need to do to make their situation not-so dire?  It's one thing to not know that the cliff is there but when you know it's there and you are standing on it, why do you insist on taking that one step over it when you know how to take a step back instead??
I just don't get it....
I do get that you can't force someone to change if they are not ready.  If you try, they just get all passive/aggressive on you.
And then later, after the sh** hits the fan, others will blame you for not helping, when in fact you tried to help.  The other people's definition of help is really 'enable' anyway, and enabling does everyone involved a disservice and makes nothing better.

My friend Brenda said I could share this photo with ya'll.  She did something creative this year in her garden.  If I had a wooden shed that got good sun, I'd do this too in a heartbeat next year!
It's sections of gutter, nailed to her shed and used as a planter box.  Just fill with some soil and sew lettuce seeds and pretty soon you have salad!  Salad greens without ANY BENDING OVER TO PICK!
It's genius I tell ya, Genuis!...lolol


Tomorrow we say goodbye to our dog Peanut.  With the loss of his bladder and bowel control as well as the deterioration of his back legs, the time has come.  He will have family there with him as he takes that last walk to the Rainbow Bridge and a steak dinner in his belly.
As Edie Beale might have said,  "He was a Staunch Character".....

Sluggy

8 comments:

  1. Very nice fridge--sure wish I had one like it and not a side by side. My husband just had to have a side by side with ice and water in the door. Now we don't even use the ice maker or water dispenser!!
    I hear you about people wanting to be rescued all the time. I got screeched at about 3 months ago because I tried to help someone without doing everything for them that they expected me to--haven't heard from them since--and it was my mom--didn't even hear from her on my birthday so I guess maybe I should have kept up the status quo but I got tired of that. Oh well--it is what it is!!
    Love the "lettuce wall"--I would have never thought of something like that. Bet it keeps the rabbits out too!!
    I'm so sorry to hear about Peanut. Maybe he can meet Alex at the Rainbow Bridge and they can run and play together until we see them again. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey, I am so sorry about Peanut and his sad aging process. Poor little guy. Let him go with what remaining dignity he has left.

    (((((hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. cyber hugs from one puppy lover to another.

    joe from the compact/facebook

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so sorry about the dog! My cat had to be euthanized, and it just about killed me in the process. You are wise to let him go and end the suffering.

    What was the "I just don't get it" rant about? Or, are we not supposed to know? I kept re-reading, thinking I missed a sentence or a past blog. Maybe it is a future blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about Peanut. My love is with you.
    I love love love the gutter idea! That is the smartest thing I have seen. Hmmmmm, my little noodle is thinking about all of the possibilities!!!
    The frig is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sorry about Peanut...we had to have our dog Honey (13 years old) euthanized due to breast cancer that had spread throughout her legs and just about the entire bottom half of her body. One of the saddest experiences of my life so far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry to hear about "Peanut", hopefully he will meet up w/ my "Gracie" and they will have a T-bone steak dinner together... Gracie was run over by a car a few yrs ago, and to this day... thinking about her... I cry!!!!!!

    {{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Add my best wishes to everyone else's for Peanut. It's such a sad time when it comes, but he had a wonderful family to love him his whole life :)

    That gutter garden idea rocks! We get no sun, which is my basic garden problem overall, but if we did, that would be an ace way to utilize it!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.