Wednesday, July 21, 2010

SonyaAnn's Funk has moved East...

I've got a bit of a funk going here.
We've been having issues with one of our beagles, Peanut.
He's also my eBay auction Mascot in all my listings there if you've ever perused them.
He's also one of the doggies in my Blogger and Facebook photos....

(Cherry on the left, Peanut on the right)

Anyway, he's been having urination issues in the house.  This from the dog that NEVER went in the house before! 
But he's getting old so you figure it's a medical problem. 
But he's also the Alpha dog here, has always been stubborn and getting "crotchety old man syndrome" so it could be a behavioral issue.

So we took him to the vet a couple months ago just to be sure if it was medical or behavioral.
The vet put him on antibiotics since the urine test showed he had an infection.
And then we did a second course of antibiotics since the first course didn't knock out the infection.
The third test showed he still had the infection.....and he was still peeing in the house.
At this point the vet wanted to rule out kidney stones or a tumor in the bladder.

So last week Peanut, the biggest Alpha male WIMP DOG you ever saw had to be sedated so they could x-ray him and do some tests.  This is the dog that 'stress sheds' as soon as you put him on the exam table at the vet's.  The hair literally falls off of him like dry needles off an old Christmas tree....
He is such a baby.lol

And we got to the bottom of his issue.
It's cancerous tumors of the bladder.
And surgery is Not an option because it's not just 1 or 2 little tumors.....there are more tumors than you can count on both hands spread throughout the bladder lining.

So he is on some medications to slow the growths down but it's just a matter of time for him.
I can deal with the daily accidents as long as he is still eating & I know he is not in pain.

We found out the prognosis on my oldest son's birthday....and Peanut is his dog.
I just hope he hangs on until #1 son gets home from his summer job....

Sluggy

10 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about Peanut. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry sluggy. We had to put our yello Lab (Pooh Bear) down shortly after Noah was born and it breaks my heart when another friends pet is hurting.

    I hope it's painless for him and that all of you are able to spend some time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry to hear this. I am a huge dog lover and I lost two of my faithful friends to cancer just 3 years apart. Also bladder. It was awful and I miss them everyday. I teared up reading your post I've been there. I will keep Peanut in my prayers. My dogs were baxter 10 years old and Pupster 16 years old. The worst part is they were healthy, happy and active otherwise. We also treated Baxters with chemo but his just grew too quick and the day came when we couldn't watch him suffer anymore. :-(
    Blessings, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. My funk doesn't seem to compare. I'm sorry with all of my heart. I, unfortunately, have been in your shoes and have had an animal with cancer. DO the best you can for Peanut and show him all the love. At least, when he goes you know that you gave him a life that most people would kill for. Prayers to you and your family, you have my love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry! :-(. Our dogs "are" our children. My wishes and prayers is that you have as much time with Peanut as possible, and that he continues to be healthy otherwise and painfree!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh honey, I am so very sorry about this news. It's the hardest thing to watch our fur babies decline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SO sorry to hear about this, Sluggy!!! We lost our bestest dog to tumors a few years ago. Still chokes me up just thinking about it. I'm sure all of Peanut's time with you will be very special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this. I pray the medications work and slows the growths and that Peanut can hold on until your son gets home. I was just crying about Alex--my 12 year old dachshund--he is having issues and it hit me hard yesterday that he won't be here much longer. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sluggy, I am so sorry to hear about this. We lost a cat to cancer not to long ago. It is so tough, but just give him a good life as long as you can.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.