Sunday, June 27, 2010

JUNE Food Stamp Challenge....Grocery Shopping on Saturday



 The post is part of the June Food Stamp Challenge located HERE.


Being a couponer, I don't shop like most people on the planet.  Being on this Food Stamp Challenge has cramped how & where I shop a bit but it hasn't been something I can't handle.  Of course, if some of the stores that have been off limits to me this month since they don't accept EBT where off limits in the long term, I might be singing a different tune!  I suspect, I'd adapt my shopping habits if I was forced to avoid these stores indefinitely but it just might push me to seek out other low price alternatives.  And in all probability, I'd be forced to spend MORE on my groceries than I do now.

That being said, this challenge did push me to seek out and try a new shopping venue on Saturday.  A local produce market opened up near my town about a year ago and seeking lower priced produce from a EBT friendly source got me in the door.
And I am so glad I went!

Here is what I picked up.....
1 x Cantaloupe $1.49
1 x Romaine Lettuce $.99
1 x Tomato  $.44 ($.69lb)
1 x Blueberries(pint) $1.49
3 x Lemons  $.99
1 x Cucumber  $.33
4 x Squash  $2.26 ($.69lb)
2 x Red Peppers  $.76 ($.99lb)
1 x Liverwurst  $2.93($2.99 lb)*Yes, they had a deli dept. too.
Total...$11.68

These prices are well below what the chain and regional grocery stores in the area charge for produce!
While none of the items were locally sourced(it's too early here for harvesting locally)I have hopes that come picking time some of the items will have been grown in this area. 

Then we hit the local independent grocery store in town....

6 x chopped Clams BOGO sale($1.69, so $.84 ea.)=$5.04
1 x Real Goodness lactose-free Milk on sale=$2.00
2 x Krunchers Potato Chips on sale $2.50=$5.00
1 x Taster's Choice instant Coffee=$1.00
1 x Marcal recycled Facial Tissue on sale=$1.11
1 x Whack Biscuits(store brand)=$1.69
1 x Cream Cheese(store brand) on sale=$.99
1 x 1lb. Carrots on sale=$.99
SubTotal...$17.82

Coupons Used
1 x $1/1 Real Goodness Milk ManuQ=$1.00
2 x $1/1 Krunchers Chips ManuQ=$2.00
1 x FREE ITEM Catalina Q Taster's Choice=$1.00
1 x FREE ITEM ManuQ Marcal Item(up to $1)=$1.00
Coupon Total....$5.00

$17.82-$5.00=$12.82 + $.07 tax=$12.89

Then I went to Weis Supermarket for 1 item....
2 x OM Lunchmeat on sale BOGO($4.99)=$4.99

I used a FREE ITEM(up to $3)Coupon from Kraft...
$4.99-$3.00=$1.99 total for 2 packages of turkey breast.

Why I bought what I bought.....

I plan on making Club Sandwiches for dinner one night(the lunchmeat, tomato), Clam Chowder another night(clams, milk and enough clams for another batch later this summer), some meat grilled out with veggie skewers(squashes, pepper), the romaine, cuke and carrots for salads, and the fruit, cream cheese & whack biscuits are for breakfasts this week.  The liverwurst is for Hubs lunches at work & he can take chips in a reusable container.  The lemons are for my home brewed iced tea of course! ;-)

Saturday's spending.....$26.56

June Food Stamp Challenge Update
Spent to Date....$209.26
June Food Budget Left....$164.44
Days of Challenge Left....05

Sluggy

1 comment:

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.