Sunday, June 27, 2010

JUNE Food Stamp Challenge.....Day Twenty Four & Twenty Five

The post is part of the June Food Stamp Challenge located HERE.

On Day 24-Thursday- DH & I went out to eat.  While you can't pay for meals out with food stamps/EBT, folks who rely on food stamps to eat DO go out.  One way you can stretch those precious dollars to afford to eat out is using deals and coupons.  We use a site called Restaurant.com where you can buy gift certificates to local eating establishments.  I figure, if you're going to spend on eating out, you might as well spend as little as you have to AND spend it with locally owned businesses.  You save $ doing something fun and you support local people's businesses.  Win/Win!

I will wait until the site is having a sale, like an 80% off any certificates you buy sale.  Alot of the cert.s I buy are "$25 off your bill when you spend $35" ones.  At 80% off, they cost me $2 a piece, so in the end I am getting $35 of food for $12(the $10 over $25 I must spend + the $2 cost of the cert.=$12).  That's a 65% savings on the cost of eating out!(Not including the tip).

So we headed out on Thursday to use a "spend $35, get $25 off" $2 certificate I had bought months ago during a 80% off sale.  Hubs had a gourmet burger and wings & I had crabcakes and onion rings.  My meal also came with salad, a potato and veggie of the day.  We went a few dollars over $35 but I had enough food leftover for lunch the next day as well.
We spent $37.99, so our expensive night out cost us $12+$2.99+$6.85(tip)=$21.84.

On Day 25-Friday-DH & I ate odds & ends from the freezer.  He had some beer brats and the leftover potato salad from earlier this week, and I took some pieces of breaded chicken cutlets, shredded cheese and spaghetti sauce and made some quick chicken parmesan in the skillet, adding a tossed salad to finish up the greens I had bought last week.

Day 23 food costs for items bought before June......chicken cutlets $1.00, sauce $.40, cheese $.50, brats $.67, condiments $.05.
Friday's total=$2.62


That brings our 'spending' for the last 2 days to $2.62.($21.84 for non-food stamp purchases.)

June Food Stamp Challenge Update
Spent to Date....$182.70
June Food Budget Left....$191.00
Days of Challenge Left....05


Sluggy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.