Saturday, June 5, 2010

JUNE Food Stamp Challenge....Day Four

So I jumped into this June Food Stamp Challenge on Day Four(which was yesterday actually), when I went grocery shopping for the 1st time this month.

We have had a relative house guest this week and we opted to cook-out on the grill instead of going out to eat before she left......so I was off to the grocery store for supplies.
If we had eaten out, that cost would have gone under our Entertainment spending, but since folks on food stamps don't have the option to eat out and pay with SNAP benies, we ate in and I cooked.

For the meal on Friday, I bought......
10 ears of corn =$3.99
1 bunch of red leaf lettuce=$1.20
3.50 lbs. of london broil=$13.20--it was the cheapest cut of meat they had
2lbs. of strawberries=$4.99

$23.38 spent for this meal that fed 6 people.  (BTW...this same meal in a restaurant for 6 people would have run at least $60 not counting beverages.)
On hand already, we had other fresh veggies for the salad(cuke, red cabbage, iceberg lettuce, carrots, celery), croutons and dressing, butter and salt for the corn and steak sauce.  We drank iced tea or water.

I also bought for later in the week on that grocery trip......
3 x 1/2 gallons of lactose-free milk on sale @$2ea.=$6.00
3 x bags of frozen veggies on sale $1.33ea.=$3.99
1 x cream cheese(house brand) on sale=$.99
I used 3 x $1/1 lactose-free milk ManuQs=$3.00 off

Grand Total spent.....$34.36-$3 in Coupons=$31.46

There is enough meat leftover to make a pot of stew next week when the temperature is suppose to dip into the 60's.
There are strawberries leftover also for putting into breakfast cereal and the 2 ears of corn that were not eaten will be used in the pot of clam chowder in the coming week.

As for the 1st 3 days I missed....we had leftovers 2 of those nights(from the Memorial Day cook-out) and the 3rd night I made chicken enchiladas, using stockpiled refried beans, chicken breast & tortillas and leftover homemade enchilada sauce & shredded cheese from the freezer, and spices from the cabinet.  A can of corn was pan roasted for a side dish.  Estimated Cost of ingredients used for those 3 days.....$13.00

Add that to what I have spend in June and we are at....$44.46 for the month.

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Don't you just love using up the leftovers? Your meals sounded really delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals sound great, but my poor ol' mother only got $60 a month in food stamps, what's the food stamp budget (how much per month)? or did I miss it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I'm tired! I just read the previous post! My mom passed just a little over a year ago and she only received $60/month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn--I believe that Katy is using the avg. amount of $101 per person since there are things that affect what you actually receive...like if you have any income, or any assets....and some states count having a car against what you receive and other states don't count the 1st car but if you have a 2nd vehicle....it gets downright confusing when you get into the details on who gets how much SNAP benies.
    Hope this helps....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious--thanks! I try to keep it lively here with the meals if I can.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.