Tuesday, April 13, 2010

eBay....Again....WWYD?

So I sold 2 items to some guy on eBay.  He contacted me twice to get an Invoice.....the 1st time he said ship to China, the 2nd time he said ship to somewhere in NY.
So he pays me and the Paypal page says the shipping address & the place I should ship these items is CA!

Now if I don't ship to the CA address(User is telling me to ship to the NY address and the shipping quote is for that location), and then this guy turns out to be a scammer and does a chargeback on me through his cc company, I have NO Seller protection through eBay.  This means he gets my items, I get the payment yanked by eBay from my account PLUS a chargeback fee eBay will charge me and I will have no recourse....I lose my items, I don't get paid for them plus I lose $10 of my own money.
(I was part of a serial scammers game a few years ago.  He bought lots of things off of lots of sellers and a month later told his bank he didn't buy any of the items and the bank & eBay yanked all the payments through Paypal. At least this guy's shipping address and Paypal address matched up so I did end up getting the chargeback reversed and my payment back.)

And this User just joined eBay on April 9th, bought some thing from someone else on April 11th, so they have no track record for me to refer to or take comfort in the fact that they have a history as an upstanding eBay member.

So if I decide this isn't worth the potential trouble and I cancel the transaction and refund his money, I can get back the $ eBay/Paypal take for letting me sell it.  I will be out .40¢ for the listing fees and then this guy can leave me negative feedback.

I wouldn't be so concerned if this was a $10 item, but it's just shy of $100 worth of stuff!  So my scammer radar went off...lol

So.....what would you do if you were me?

Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I have a 100% eBay rating and would hate to lose it, but I think I would risk a negative on this transaction. I would explain to him that because his account is so new, I am not comfortable shipping anywhere but to his CA address. Maybe he'll be ok with that. If he still insists that you ship elsewhere, I'd cancel the transaction and be out the listing fee only. Then if he left I negative feedback, I would respond to it "new account; wanted shipped to unconfirmed addy; I refused". If you don't have many other negatives, then it probably won't have much of an impact.

    Also, I'm sure you ARE doing this already, but save all your email correspondence re: this listing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Annie even though I have no idea how eBay works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, trust your radar, cancel the deal, take the neg if he gives it and calmly explain in your own feedback that he was a scam-guy. I really think you're better off than losing your goods and your $$ just to keep a positive that he probably won't leave you anyway if he is a scammer. Just my 2-cents :) Good luck! I can see why your radar's up on this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am responding late, but Annie Jones' advice it good. Hubby sells on ebay and absolutely will not ship to an unconfirmed address.

    If the buyer leaves you a negative, contact ebay and ask to have it removed, explaining the buyer's demand that you ship to an unconfirmed address. (If he wants the item shipped to NY, he should change his address in Paypal.)

    Ebay might not remove the neg, but they might. Hubby had one removed recently due to a deceitful buyer.

    We have also been victims of a scammer that took months and months to resolve. It really sucked!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.