Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fried Fish...A Breading Idea


If someone is cooking fish and there is a southerner involved, you know that fish traditionally will be fried.  While fried fish is NOT the healthiest choice around, sometimes you just have to give in to your inner Southerner and make it!

In the south when it comes to frying fish, like Shakespeare might have said if he was from North Carolina, "The breading is the thing."
If a southerner is frying up a mess a' fish that breading will involve cornmeal. 

Everyone has their own ratio of meal to flour that they prefer....some even fore go the flour altogether and bread in straight cornmeal.


I also love one of the quintessential southern side dishes that goes with fried fish....hush puppies!  That slightly sweetened, oniony ball of fried dough takes me back to my youthful days.  Nothing beats a good puppy....

But fried fish and fried hush puppies are just too much fried for my old clogging arteries.
Here is how I get the taste of both with half the grease....

I use hush puppy mix to bread my fish!

This simple yet elusive taste combination was borne out of neccessity.  One night as I went to bread some fish for frying, I discovered I was out of cornmeal..oh the horrors!  I didn't even have one of those handy little boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix to substitute for the missing ingredient.
But I remembered I had a bag of hush puppy mix, which is basically cornmeal and flour with some spices and a touch of sugar.
So I used the puppy mix for my breading.
Let me tell you, it was a taste of heaven!

And not only was it a great way to get BOTH taste treats and a grease & calorie reducing move(since I only consumed 1 fried item, not 2)but it was a time saver too since I didn't also have to make the hush puppies.lol

Sluggy

1 comment:

  1. I was probably close to adulthood before I realized people ate fish that wasn't fried...LOL!

    Great idea to use the HP mix for the fish breading. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.