Monday, February 22, 2010

Meal Plan Monday.....February 22nd Edition....Use it Up Week







Last Week's Menu Postmortem...
The Pork Chop and Fish meal didn't happen so are moving to this week's menu. The only leftovers I am starting the week with are the Baked Chicken and homemade Clam Chowder.  The chicken will reappear in a Casserole this week and the Chowder I'll finish off for lunch.

Between my stock-ups and the bad weather predicted this week, I'll be staying out of the grocery stores again this week.  I do have some Weis Catalinas expiring this week so I will have to go once to use those up.

Here's what I will be serving our family of 4 this Week.....our household presently consists of 2 adults and 2 teens at home.  No children under 13.

This week is all about using what I have and incorporating leftovers.
MONDAY--#2 son's Birthday meal out!
TUESDAY--Spaghetti and Meatballs(freezer/stockpile), Salad, Garlic Rolls(fridge)
WEDNESDAY--Chicken Casserole(leftover/stockpile), Broccoli(freezer)
THURSDAY--Hot Dogs(freezer), Rolls(leftover), Beans, Sauerkraut(leftover), G. Beans
FRIDAY--Fish and Stuffed Clams(freezer), Mixed Veggies in Cheese Sauce(freezer)
SATURDAY--Sloppy Joes(freezer/stockpile), Rolls(leftover), Corn(freezer)
SUNDAY--Pork Chops(freezer) with Plum Glaze(stockpile), Noodles(stockpile), Mixed Veggies(freezer)
SNACKS/DESSERTS--Cantaloupe and Applesauce(stockpile), Birthday Brownie(stockpile), Ice Cream

LAST WEEK'S FOOD SPENDING
$10.87 was spent on food last week.  $4.89 at the local independent grocer for milk that hubby picked up & $5.98 at Price Chopper when I went to use my Catalinas.  Except for that trip to PC I was successful in staying out of the grocery stores...yay!lol
I have exactly $2.42 left in my Feb. food budget, unless some more rebates come in this week.  Between that cash and $17 in Catalinas it looks like I'll be able to get through Feb. without going over budget. I could do this menu without buying anything, but I'd like to get some more salad veggies(red cabbage, cuke) to augment the salad.  Other than that we'll need milk and fruit this week.
I'll be using my remaining Weis Catalinas expiring this week to obtain these things so my OOP should be close to zero.

The baked chicken from last week will reappear this week in the chicken casserole. Everyone stopped eating bread for awhile so I have alot of bread from the outlet to use up now.  That's why Sloppy Joes and Hot Dogs are on the menu this week.  I might attempt Bread Pudding again for hubby too if there is still bread leftover after those 2 meals.

FOOD WASTE REPORT
The doggies where quite proficient leftover eaters this week so no waste, and I composted the veggie trimmings.

Check out ORGANIZING JUNKIE to see what other Home Cooks are serving this week.

Sluggy

5 comments:

  1. Wow! Very impressive! I'm not sure what we're having tonight for supper and you've got the whole week planned! on the cheap!
    You are one impressive lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No wonder you have so many tips for me! Ok I'm officially inspired.
    I was trying to get Den interested in our budget and saving on groceries. He didn't start snoring so I'm taking it as a positive step!
    'The chicken will reappear"-LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's sluggy and her magical chicken....lolol

    Let us know how Den takes to a menu plan. How about he let's you do the food shopping instead of him? Maybe even still buying the food he wants to cook, you can find some savings? Just a thought....

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw: Sluggy - yes I am an old fart I guess! as for that ring tone, apparently some kid in my daughters class kept texting during class and using that ring tone. The teacher was a younger teacher, in her 20s and she could hear it! Oops!
    And I'm sorry yesterday's post is still creeping you out! Just don't lick any pencils for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.